MLB Changes 2020

kimball

1 hour ago, Ark said:

The Diamondbacks have more of a right to purple pinstripes than the Rockies IMO

Based on what? The Rockies had been playing in purple pinstripes for at least 2 or 3 seasons before Arizona announced their identity. The fact that they chose to straight up copy a division and regional rival was bizarre. The Rockies had more of a right to be annoyed.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Chauncey917 said:

Based on what? The Rockies had been playing in purple pinstripes for at least 2 or 3 seasons before Arizona announced their identity. The fact that they chose to straight up copy a division and regional rival was bizarre. The Rockies had more of a right to be annoyed.

First of all saying the Diamondbacks "copied" the Rockies is pretty weird. No one would ever confuse their identities. No one would ever confuse the Yankees and the Metrodome Twins either even they both have navy blue pinstripes, or the Phillies and the Reds in the 90s and 2000s.

But to answer your question, it's because the Diamondbacks won one of the greatest World Series ever played in epic fashion wearing those uniforms. They had the fastest success ever for an expansion team and had of the greatest pitching duos of all time. Whereas the Rockies have a stadium where it's easy to hit home runs and they got swept in the World Series once. 

2 hours ago, Ark said:

First of all saying the Diamondbacks "copied" the Rockies is pretty weird. No one would ever confuse their identities.

Absolutely. You'd confuse the Rockies with the White Sox.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm surprised this is an unpopular opinion but I think the newly updated home, aways, and the black and red alts are maybe the D-Backs best look. It’s not fantastic but it’s miles better than the 90s mess and the blood gradient set it replaced. They look like a respected baseball team now. Just cut the two extra turquoise alts, they're unneeded and overrated. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

On 6/29/2020 at 9:42 AM, TBGKon said:

Agreed, something about that desert red and light turquoise really goes together.  Toss in the black and sand for accent and thats a good combo.

I like either. 

Just not the red and black that has been done countless times. 

22 hours ago, Anubis2051 said:

Don't forget the 1998 Expansion was the league apologizing to the players for collusion. So it kind of was an afterthought. Also don't forget just 4 years later they tried to contract two teams - namely the Twins and Expos.

"Tried" was more of a negotiation tactic to get stadiums built. 

It looks like SUMMER CAMP is melting a bit.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

On 6/26/2020 at 7:37 AM, BringBackTheVet said:

Every single thing about that uniform looks silly.  

1.  White hat looks like something to be sold to fans, not worn on a field. For reasons beaten to death, white hats are silly in baseball.  Looking from the stands, I don't want to see a bunch of white caps running around, and they get all sweaty and dirty.

2.  The helmets didn't match.  The literal point of helmets is to be like a hard hat, so it should match.  No exceptions.

3.  The team name is "Diamondbacks", not "Diamond Backs".  It's not an ideal name for a team, just due to its length and relative obscurity (it's perfect for a minor-league team where identities are usually super localized) but splitting one word into two is never the right solution.  They nailed it with the A-chest jerseys that they won the WS in.  Those were great.

I think the current look is the best they have looked.  I was disappointed when they got rid of the snakeskin on the shoulders.  It did look stupid on the pants and the hat.  They should emphasize black red and turquoise more.  The turquoise pops really well off the old dark grey uniform and the white home. 

On 6/30/2020 at 3:05 PM, SFGiants58 said:

Got ya covered there too!

o9p5uW9.png

I'm not as big a fan of it as the purple, since the purple coincided with the team's best moment (2001) and has the benefit of being a fan favorite. The original turquoise with brick red and copper does look pretty good to me, provided that turquoise is the primary color. 

this looks so much nicer than I would have expected.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

On 6/30/2020 at 1:31 PM, BC985 said:

How did this become their road cap? The snake D led to a very divided home and road look that always felt like two teams mashed into one. I don’t think it’s a good looking logo, and I am glad they have stuck with the A. 

spacer.png

This logo, as well as the snakehead logo, is what made me a fan of the team when it started! 

MLB Cancels 2020 All-Star Game, Dodgers Awarded 2022 Game

July 3, 2020 - 16:03 PM

Major League Baseball today announced that the 2020 MLB All-Star Game, originally scheduled to be played at Los Angeles’ Dodger Stadium on July 14th. The game was cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic and likely coupled with the fact that the game was set to be played while Spring Training

Read More...

On 7/4/2020 at 10:49 AM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Will there be a Player's Weekend in this short season?

I am pretty confident that all special events like Players weekend are all cancelled this season.  It will be more like MLB in the 1980's with no special uniforms besides the occasional throwbacks. 

Hearing Todd Radom discuss on the Baseball Tonight podcast the complexities of securing a team name from a trademark etc. standpoint made me wonder if Diamondbacks became a team name because it was easy to secure from a legal standpoint. 

Archived