MLB Changes 2020

kimball

Check out the wordmark on this twitter post, and the screen grab from between innings on the intrasquad stream.

50122531077_f19d7a95d1_c.jpg 

Red stars as lowercase i dots? Uniforms still sport blue stars. Blowback from the blue star resembling the Cowboys logo perhaps?

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, VandyDelphia Mike said:

Check out the wordmark on this twitter post, and the screen grab from between innings on the intrasquad stream.

Red stars as lowercase i dots? Uniforms still sport blue stars. Blowback from the blue star resembling the Cowboys logo perhaps?

No it’s just a single color version.

4 hours ago, VandyDelphia Mike said:

Looks so much better without the blue.

Yeah, I see no need for any blue -- royal, powder, or otherwise -- for the Phils. Burgundy and white (with the necessary road grey) works fine, I don't think any other team in the pros or college has rolled with burgundy as their only non-white color.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 minute ago, the admiral said:

Yeah, I see no need for any blue -- royal, powder, or otherwise -- for the Phils. Burgundy and white (with the necessary road grey) works fine, I don't think any other team in the pros or college has rolled with burgundy as their only non-white color.

I always think of that brief period between the road powder blues of the '70s/'80s and the early '90s reversion to Phillies script as the "Von Hayes era," largely because of this baseball card.

spacer.png

10 hours ago, VandyDelphia Mike said:

they’ve had the blue stars for 28 years and I’ve never heard of any comparison to the Cowboys logo. It’d be strange for any blowback to start nearly 3 decades later. Don’t read into it. 

6 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Add powder blue stars and I’m set!

powder blue was never one of their colors and should never be one. I couldn’t care less if they made the fabric of the road uniform blue again, but that doesn’t make it one of their colors. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If anyone is planning on picking up some gear soon, check the team stores at the parks.  I stopped by the Brewers Team Store at Miller Park and they had official team issued Nike gear not seen online.  Specifically this shirt. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTyYqexB_Lpu7_z-IIKKOM

There was also a "Breathe Tee."  Short sleeve, wordmark on the front, swoosh on the collar similar to the Pro Combat baselayer shirts.

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

they’ve had the blue stars for 28 years and I’ve never heard of any comparison to the Cowboys logo. It’d be strange for any blowback to start nearly 3 decades later. Don’t read into it. 

Agree that it may be reading a little overly deep.  The blue star in isolation is off putting to the Dallas-haters among the crowd.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/the700level/phillies-fans-had-one-big-complaint-about-opening-day-dallas-looking-star

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

What's the best place for Cleveland baseball rebrand discussion?  Seems like a strong enough rumor to fit in an MLB Changes thread.  No official announcment for its own thread, and I do't have anything for the concept forum except in my head.

I've seen the ones with the C as the spider's body...too many legs, too creepy.  My thought was to keep the current C and add a web inside; like this concept but I think the web could be more complete inside.
spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

I'm also not sure about keeping Red - I guess it could be a black widow spider mark. Seems like the original spiders were mostly blue and/or black.   Purple sounds interesting but would be too close to Colorado.  Same for blue/black/silver.  Is there enough contrast for blue/black/white?  Pinstripes also suggest spiderwebs a bit...Too close to the Yankees?

I feel like the 1910/20s throwbacks from a few years ago would work great - as would the current block road template (funny that the mothership still has chief wahoo on it).  I love the idea of a really turn of the century identity.   Read a nice article recently and agreed that it feel like righting the wrong of the 1899 Spiders/Perfectos ownserhip conflict of interest fiasco.  The name "Indians" apparently originated with the Spiders when they had Sockalexis; there's a symmetry in borrowing from the same NL franchise again (in addition to the assets that were purchased to start the current franchise, that would make a 3rd time).  Interesting they already have a mascot named "Slider."

Other idea: "Cyclones" for Cy Young.  I remember tornados in Cleveland but never called them cyclones; and it's a disrespect to Feller to name the team after anyone else.

I hate the idea of a brand new name for an extremely old franchise.   Feels more right to go back to an old tradition.

3 minutes ago, hormone said:

So Canada doesn’t want the jays right now and mlb wants to force the rays up there?

I mean, the Jays have been in Florida, one of the worst places someone could be for COVID.

Ontario's already getting kinda thumped right now, we don't need even more potentially infected individuals coming in.

6 hours ago, chakfu said:

Purple sounds interesting but would be too close to Colorado.

Keeping navy and red sounds interesting but are too close to 25 other teams.

6uXNWAo.png

5 minutes ago, hormone said:

So Canada doesn’t want the jays right now and mlb wants to force the rays up there?

I mean, the Jays have been in Florida, one of the worst places someone could be for COVID.

Ontario's already getting kinda thumped right now, we don't need even more potentially infected individuals coming in.

Archived