kimball

MLB Changes 2020

3 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I know that the plural of "anecdote" is still not "data", but I thought this was interesting nonetheless.

I was talking with a Brewers Clubhouse Store employee the other day, and I asked about jersey sales.  They grabbed the blue alternate road and said "This is the one everybody buys.  We sell a TON of these."   I asked about the road grays and they said "yeah, those sell pretty good too."   The pinstripes?  "Right in the middle." They then walked over to the cream home jersey and said "nobody likes these." 

For what it's worth.  Not much, I know, but still.  

If that person's experience is in fact illustrative, then it's a shame, because I really really really want them to just tweak the cream jersey.  My fear is that they'll dump it outright in favor of the pinstripes.

I really like the cream as well. It almost feels as though they set the cream up to fail though by introducing it alongside the white pinstripes. It seems like pins would be the fan preference given how Brewers fans seem to respond to the classic ball in glove look that the team had previously worn as a throwback.

4 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I know that the plural of "anecdote" is still not "data", but I thought this was interesting nonetheless.

I was talking with a Brewers Clubhouse Store employee the other day, and I asked about jersey sales.  They grabbed the blue alternate road and said "This is the one everybody buys.  We sell a TON of these."   I asked about the road grays and they said "yeah, those sell pretty good too."   The pinstripes?  "Right in the middle." They then walked over to the cream home jersey and said "nobody likes these." 

r630138_2_1296x729_16-9.jpg&w=920&h=518&

For what it's worth.  Not much, I know, but still.  

If that person's experience is in fact illustrative, then it's a shame, because I really really really want them to just tweak the cream jersey.  My fear is that they'll dump it outright in favor of the pinstripes.

Surprising.   Do they still have the pinstripe throwbacks in stock?   I would think that if people were buying a pinstripe they'd stick to the historic alts, unless there really is a big love for navy and people want to jump on what they consider a version of the beloved throwbacks in their preferred colors.

3 minutes ago, JTernup said:

I really like the cream as well. It almost feels as though they set the cream up to fail though by introducing it alongside the white pinstripes. It seems like pins would be the fan preference given how Brewers fans seem to respond to the classic ball in glove look that the team had previously worn as a throwback.

Probably.  The really thick 70s sleeve stripes on the cream can't help either.  Looks goofy in this context.

Anybody know if they're using the same cream that the Giants do?  And that the Phillies use for their alts?  I doesn't look the same, but I wonder if that's just caused by visually playing off navy and gold instead of black and orange or royal and red.

Just now, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Surprising.   Do they still have the pinstripe throwbacks in stock?   I would think that if people were buying a pinstripe they'd stick to the historic alts, unless there really is a big love for navy and people want to jump on what they consider a version of the beloved throwbacks in their preferred colors.

No - the team has totally discontinued the throwbacks.  This is the replacement for them.

2 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

No - the team has totally discontinued the throwbacks.  This is the replacement for them.

That makes sense, then.   I knew they were out of the lineup, but didn't expect them to get pulled from the shops too.

Does Colorwerx's work only apply to graphics?   I know there's often a change in values when you translate to textiles, so I don't know if turning on the signal would help or not.

That’s just graphics.  It doesn’t reflect manufacturing limitations, like the fact that all navy blue teams use one of two shades for their New Era caps, regardless of what their actual team colors are. 

I don’t know how many shades of cream Nike offers, if it’s even more than one. 

2 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

That’s just graphics.  It doesn’t reflect manufacturing limitations, like the fact that all navy blue teams use one of two shades for their New Era caps, regardless of what their actual team colors are. 

I don’t know how many shades of cream Nike offers, if it’s even more than one. 

I know the Twins official shade of off-white that they used to use for the throwbacks always was a bit different than the Giants or the Phillies, for example. I imagine the colors of the actual jerseys were the same, though, along with this new Brewers jersey. I just don’t picture the jersey manufacturing having more than one shade of off-white when they’re nearly indistinguishable.

The cream is also probably my favorite of the Brewers’ new jerseys, it’s a shame it’s underselling compared to the rest of the set.

A cream jersey looks cool when an MLB player is wearing it on the field...but it doesn't look as appealing when an everyday Joe is wearing it to a game or out in public with jeans or khakis compared to a navy or gray uniform.

I've always liked Brewers jerseys that say Milwaukee on them so I gravitate towards the roads/road alternates. Need to get the new grays next!

11 minutes ago, kestrel79 said:

A cream jersey looks cool when an MLB player is wearing it on the field...but it doesn't look as appealing when an everyday Joe is wearing it to a game or out in public with jeans or khakis compared to a navy or gray uniform.

I think that is indisputably true for team-color jerseys.  It does not surprise me at all that the blue alternate is selling well, even though it does say "Milwaukee" on it (the Brewers were heretofore very reluctant to use the city name for fear of turning off everyone who doesn't live within the city limits).

That makes less sense, however, when compared with other home jerseys.  And especially with pinstripes, which look out of place paired with almost any street clothes.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. In the LA Rams discussion, bone (aka cream) is being touted as 'streetwear' and cool to be seen in. This argument goes opposite that one.

Not that there's ever been a disagreement on fashion or other things here. I'm not poking at you two, but I find it an interesting dichotomy.

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I took that to mean that they're selling significantly behind the others, not that they aren't selling at all.  For what it's worth.  Not much, I know, but still.  

If that employee's experience is in fact illustrative, then it's a shame, because I really really really want the Brewers to just tweak the cream jersey.  My fear is that they'll dump it outright in favor of the pinstripes.

The cream alt doesn’t fit the rest of the set. That picture is as if you and your siblings are taking a picture and your goofy uncle jumps in. Yeah you can see a family resemblance but one is not like the others. 

10 minutes ago, BC985 said:

The cream alt doesn’t fit the rest of the set. That picture is as if you and your siblings are taking a picture and your goofy uncle jumps in. Yeah you can see a family resemblance but one is not like the others. 

None of them fit each other.  That's the problem.

We have four totally different sets of jersey stripes here: thick 70s sleeve stripes, single-color piping with matching headspoon, none at all, and thin triple-piping on sleeves but not neck.

It's just a mess.  </rant>

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

None of them fit each other.  That's the problem.

We have four totally different sets of jersey stripes here: thick 70s sleeve stripes, single-color piping with matching headspoon, none at all, and thin triple-piping on sleeves but not neck.

It's just a mess.  </rant>

You aren't wrong. I like three of the four looks in this picture. I'm my mind, the good news is that they aren't wearing more than one of these at any one time, other than in this photo. So, that there are these inconsistencies doesn't bother me.

1 hour ago, BC985 said:

It's funny you phrase it this way, because even looking at the positioning of everyone, Brent Suter is turned more towards the other two, looking almost like those three are framing a three-man picture and Ryan Braun is off to the side like the uncle everybody hates because he lied to everyone and got a guy fired from his job.

I also like the cream (which is the primary home jersey for anyone wondering).  But as far as a jersey to buy, wearing that with khaki shorts would look kinda off.  I'll either buy the navy or gray next probably, but I do wish the script from the navy jersey was on the gray too.

6 hours ago, Gothamite said:

If that employee's experience is in fact illustrative, then it's a shame, because I really really really want the Brewers to just tweak the cream jersey.  My fear is that they'll dump it outright in favor of the pinstripes.

Same here but I'm curious, how would you tweak it? The only change I could see is matching the sleeve piping to the pants/road jersey but would it make it much more different/popular? Retro wordmark? Make it white? There's not much that can be done without changing the whole thing...

7 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I took that to mean that they're selling significantly behind the others, not that they aren't selling at all.  For what it's worth.  Not much, I know, but still.  

Guh..... the cream is the best one! I'd sooner dump the pinstripes and bring back the 1982 fauxback.

Interestingly, the Bucks cream gear seems to rival their regular stuff. I suspect it might be due to the Bucks having a significantly more localized fan base that appreciates Milwaukee. Where the Brewers have a largely suburban fanbase for whom they've even downplayed being a Milwaukee team before. 

1 hour ago, jp1409 said:

Same here but I'm curious, how would you tweak it? The only change I could see is matching the sleeve piping to the pants/road jersey but would it make it much more different/popular? Retro wordmark? Make it white? There's not much that can be done without changing the whole thing...

I’d love to change the wordmarks, but presuming that’s off the table there are still small changes that could make a huge difference.

Personally, I’d trade the mid-70s thick sleeve stripes for thinner blue/gold/blue piping like the pants.

spacer.png

And I would either add a headspoon or neck piping, like their 1971 uniforms. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

And then I would add that same piping to the road grays.  They just look unbalanced and unfinished with sleeve but no neck piping.

Id also ditch that stupid ball patch.  It’s just a dark blob.

spacer.png

Four uniforms and you can’t put the new Barrelman on any of them? 

On 7/26/2020 at 6:00 PM, Krz said:

Rangers powder blue in game,

spacer.png

Two pages late but I'd just like to say YIKES. What an awful uniform haha. Also changing the team's name to the Ŕangers was a bold choice

10 minutes ago, NicDB said:

Guh..... the cream is the best one! I'd sooner dump the pinstripes and bring back the 1982 fauxback.

Me, too.  I think the pinstripes are the weakest of the bunch. 

Interestingly, the Bucks cream gear seems to rival their regular stuff. I suspect it might be due to the Bucks having a significantly more localized fan base that appreciates Milwaukee. Where the Brewers have a largely suburban fanbase for whom they've even downplayed being a Milwaukee team before. 

If that was true, the “Milwaukee” jerseys wouldn’t be outselling the others.  

Yes, the Brewers have downplayed the city name before (although that was an attempt to appeal to the whole state with the new “no rain outs” roof, not a suburban strategy), but that is looking more and more like it was a bad move.