MLB Changes 2020

kimball

16 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I’d love to change the wordmarks, but presuming that’s off the table there are still small changes that could make a huge difference.

Personally, I’d trade the mid-70s thick sleeve stripes for thinner blue/gold/blue piping like the pants.

spacer.png

And I would either add a headspoon or neck piping, like their 1971 uniforms. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

And then I would add that same piping to the road grays.  They just look unbalanced and unfinished with sleeve but no neck piping.

Pretty much what I was also hoping for from the scratch, the thick piping definitely looks way out of place. As for the fact that no one seems to buy it, I still don't think that modified sleeve piping and added neck piping would make it way different to "regular" folks (which is too bad). I honestly thought it'd be selling fairly well despite the affection for pinstripes...

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, kestrel79 said:

A cream jersey looks cool when an MLB player is wearing it on the field...but it doesn't look as appealing when an everyday Joe is wearing it to a game or out in public with jeans or khakis compared to a navy or gray uniform.

I've always liked Brewers jerseys that say Milwaukee on them so I gravitate towards the roads/road alternates. Need to get the new grays next!

Which is why the rams “bone” jersey went over like a deflated balloon. No one wants to wear something that looks like dirty laundry.

23 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

If that was true, the “Milwaukee” jerseys wouldn’t be outselling the others.  

Yes, the Brewers have downplayed the city name before (although that was an attempt to appeal to the whole state, not a suburban strategy), but that is looking more and more like it was a bad move. 

I do think that has more to do with it being the blue one more than anything. But my point is that the significance of the Brewers in cream is probably lost on a lot of people who don't live in Milwaukee. I think the Bucks jerseys are the most publicity the Cream City nickname has ever gotten.

Well, certainly in recent years.  The nickname had fallen into a certain amount of obscurity. 

The significance of cream may not be apparent to everyone, but I don’t think that’s why the jersey isn’t selling.  I think it isn’t selling because it’s ugly.  The best-designed jerseys of the set, the two road jerseys, seem to be selling the beat.  That may not be a coincidence. 

17 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Well, certainly in recent years.  The nickname had fallen into a certain amount of obscurity. 

The significance of cream may not be apparent to everyone, but I don’t think that’s why the jersey isn’t selling.  I think it isn’t selling because it’s ugly.  The best-designed jerseys of the set, the two road jerseys, seem to be selling the beat.  That may not be a coincidence. 

It might have helped had there been baseball this year. Not sure on that one.

It's where I sit.

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Personally, I think its because 1) the replica looks REALLY BAD.  The piping on the replica isnt even thick, its just the thin piping like on the pants, but at the tips of the sleeves.  People I've talked to, especially everyone on twitter, actually like the cream jersey.  Its just the replica doesnt really look like it and not many pay $300 for a jersey.  And 2) you cant wear it with much.  Pretty much the only think you CAN wear it with is with blue pants/shorts.

I personally wear a lot of khaki or jeans, and the road gray looks great with both, which is was that's 99% likely to be my next jersey buy.

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

4 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

Just wait until the Brewers inevitably come out with a powder blue alternate. It's gonna be real good.

Whenever that is, that is a Day One buy and ive never been more certain of anything in my life.

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

I'm guessing the sale breakdown is that people want the throwbacks (pinstripes) but cannot get the throwbacks, or they want stuff that says "Milwaukee" on it. The cream set is redundant. 

I still don't love this Brewers set for all the reasons you laid out: nothing quite matches, bad secondaries, too many uniforms to choose from. To that I would add that navy blue just isn't as fun and summery as royal blue, and the ball-in-glove is a fun and summery logo.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

11 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I’d love to change the wordmarks, but presuming that’s off the table there are still small changes that could make a huge difference.

Personally, I’d trade the mid-70s thick sleeve stripes for thinner blue/gold/blue piping like the pants.

spacer.png

And I would either add a headspoon or neck piping, like their 1971 uniforms. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

And then I would add that same piping to the road grays.  They just look unbalanced and unfinished with sleeve but no neck piping.

Id also ditch that stupid ball patch.  It’s just a dark blob.

spacer.png

Four uniforms and you can’t put the new Barrelman on any of them? 

Just thought about this... What if the cream became the home alt and used royal instead of navy? Royal is still part of the package and it could definitely become a hot commodity for folks who prefer it to navy... It'd be different enough to the previous pinstripes throwbacks and the other current unis to make it less redundant and sell well enough to keep it around.

8KqxxSC.jpg

Yep the sleeve stripes need to match. The cream home looks odd with the thicker strikes, yet the pants have the regular stripes that match the grays.

Oh for sure there will be a powder blue alternate in a couple years. If you go on the Team Store you can see they already sell power blue shirsies...just testing the waters. I just hope it's not all out powder blue like the Rangers which looks terrible. And more like what KC did with wearing their powder blues with white pants.

15 hours ago, Gothamite said:

spacer.png

Id also ditch that stupid ball patch.  It’s just a dark blob.

spacer.png

Four uniforms and you can’t put the new Barrelman on any of them? 

I've been a big fan of this set since it was released, and I've disagreed with you on your criticisms, particularly of the logo, but you're spot on with the disconnect between these various uniforms. 

It makes little sense to have such variance in the sleeves. And it's clear they were attempting to recreate the early '70s uniforms, but why ignore key details like the neck piping?

Your suggested changes are spot on. Take the sleeve striping from the roads and add it to the creams, and add the neck piping to both so they match. While they're at it, I'd ditch the pinstripes entirely. The cream uniform is gorgeous; no need to add another option that allows us to see it less. 

10 hours ago, itsmb8 said:

Personally, I think its because 1) the replica looks REALLY BAD.  The piping on the replica isnt even thick, its just the thin piping like on the pants, but at the tips of the sleeves.

We were talking about the sales of authentics, not replicas.  

2 hours ago, jp1409 said:

Just thought about this... What if the cream became the home alt and used royal instead of navy? Royal is still part of the package and it could definitely become a hot commodity for folks who prefer it to navy... It'd be different enough to the previous pinstripes throwbacks and the other current unis to make it less redundant and sell well enough to keep it around.

8KqxxSC.jpg

Well damn.  Now I want to see you do the rest of the set.  The royal just looks so much more summery.

43 minutes ago, kestrel79 said:

Yep the sleeve stripes need to match. The cream home looks odd with the thicker strikes, yet the pants have the regular stripes that match the grays.

It's a half-hearted attempt to match the original 1972 jerseys.  But that only worked because they had neck trim and those huge elastic waistbands.

1eb945b98e36aef4563d857dc1ae9648.jpg 

The sleeve stripes pick up the waist stripes, and the neck stripes pick up the pant stripes.  I don't want to see sansabelt pants come back, but have to admit that this is all very nicely balanced. 

Remove the neck and waist stripes, and the balance is shattered.  The uniform looks terrible.

On 7/25/2020 at 5:24 PM, NicDB said:

That's the best road gray the Brewers have worn since Robin Yount's last year. But I must say, it felt odd seeing MILWAUKEE in a block font. I think one of the (very few) things the old set got right is that every uniform had a script. From Robin Yount's chase for 3,000 to the Yeliches, Brauns, and Fielders of the modern era, scripts feel quintessentially Brewers to me.

I like the Brewers font. It looks great on merch and should remain part of their brand. But I realize now how much I'd prefer scripts on the actual uniform.

I wonder what the 1990 scripts would look like on the modern uniforms. Anyone (SFGiants58?) feel like mocking that up?

Can be done!

2EqxPGV.png

That number font doesn't mix well with scripts.  If you're using a classic script then use MLB block or varsity block.  What do you want me to notice?  The fancy/traditional script?  Or the custom/non-traditional font?  It shouldn't be both.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Well damn.  Now I want to see you do the rest of the set.  The royal just looks so much more summery.

Me too, I still don't understand teams keep going away from brighter colors. 

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

Archived