MLB Changes 2020

kimball

5 hours ago, the admiral said:

"Los Angeles Angels" is a fine name and finding out their nickname en español is "Serafines" to evade the "The The Angels Angels" problem we joke about makes me like it even more. 

“Los Angeles Serafines” is a much better name than Angels, IMO.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Anaheim is a name that belongs in the minor leagues

Funny, that doesn't seem to stop the Ducks at all from being an Anaheim-specific team in a major sports league. And really, if the NHL of all leagues can have a successful Anaheim team that doesn't bother trying to hock itself as a second-rate LA team, then surely a more popular league like MLB can afford the same luxury, right?

And like, let's not kid ourselves; the name isn't "Los Angeles Angels" right now because Anaheim isn't "major league" as a geographic identifier, it's "Los Angeles Angels" because Arte wanted more money from TV deals. That's why he went to the much-memed "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" moniker that satisfied nobody first, as a weasley way to get LA in without skimping the deal.

It has no business standing alongside New York, Philadelphia, Chicago — or Pittsburgh and St. Louis; it is simply not worthy of a major league.

Again, the Ducks seem to get along just fine as a major-league Anaheim team. Have since 1993, in fact, with nary a hint of the name "Los Angeles Ducks" ever being considered for the club. I'm not sold on the idea of "Anaheim" inherently being a minor-league city name when we have another team in a major sports league proudly sporting the name for nearly 30 years now.

And considering Anaheim by itself is bigger in population then Cincinnati and Pittsburgh and nearly at the same population as Cleveland, the idea that it's name is "simply not worthy of a major league" is kinda silly when those teams apparently are just fine as major-league market names.

Phonetically, "Anaheim Angels" just sounds nice. "Los Angeles Angels" isn't bad, either, but that's still punching way higher then they probably should when stacked against a literal juggernaut like the Dodgers. Like the Chargers, except without the heartless relocation from a :censored:ty owner aspect.

13 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

(be it powder blue, sand, the dark gray that the Diamondbacks have, or anything else)

The Diamondbacks no longer use the dark gray for their road uniforms and powder blues need to stay in the history books. They look awful. They were a stupid fad in the 1970s and they're an even dumber fad to revive today.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

2 minutes ago, Kevin W. said:

powder blues need to stay in the history books. They look awful. They were a stupid fad in the 1970s and they're an even dumber fad to revive today.

The Jays' powders are the best that team has ever looked.

Just now, Ridleylash said:

The Jays' powders are the best that team has ever looked.

Yeah, because powder blue was a team color (well, it was actually turquoise per the official specs, but close enough). I wouldn’t mind a powder blue top as a home alternate, but no powder pants.

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

“Los Angeles Serafines” is a much better name than Angels, IMO.

I don't know, being a foreign-language word that's not really familiar to English makes it hard for it to be anything higher than a clever secondary nickname. But I like it a lot in that context.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Still think the Brewers should adopt powder blue as a secondary color.  Drop the pointless royal blue and replace it with powder.

There’s history there, it would blunt the “looks like Michigan!” complaints, and it would bring the Brewers into line with the People’s Flag of Milwaukee.  Which they’ve already adopted in their merchandise. 

spacer.png

And seriously, they need a Texas Rangers-style flag sleeve patch on one of their jerseys.  Maybe the roads?

1 minute ago, Gothamite said:

That was fulfilling a contractual obligation, allowing the Angels to get out of their good naming deal and betray the city of Anaheim, as well as the fans who lived in Orange County.  Nobody liked it, least of all the Angels, but It’s what they had to do as part of Arte's plan to fix something that didn't need fixing.  

The Anaheim Angels won a World Series. The Los Angeles Angels wasted the prime years of two Hall of Fame talents (Vlad Guerrero and Mike Trout).

Take it with a grain of salt, But hearing from a friend whos dad works close to the padres, Is saying they have made the switch a roo, Making the brown tops the new alts, And the ones they been wearing the new primary, Dunno if teams are allowed to do that,  But seeing this season so far is crazy, Maybe they got permission to.

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

The Anaheim Angels won a World Series. The Los Angeles Angels wasted the prime years of two Hall of Fame talents (Vlad Guerrero and Mike Trout).

Which is why I understand some fans have an emotional attachment to the name. Doesn’t mean it’s the right name, though.  

13 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Which is why I understand some fans have an emotional attachment to the name. Doesn’t mean it’s the right name, though.  

Anaheim is the right name, until they leave Orange County. Sometimes, I think it’s best to let the fans dictate what they want. This is one of those times.

3 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Anaheim is the right name, until they leave Orange County. Sometimes, I think it’s best to let the fans dictate what they want. This is one of those times.

Some of the fans.

Not every fan sees the OC/LA divide the same way.

I actually give the fans more credit than most; downplaying the location name seems to me more about trying to placate insecure Orange County politicians than saying anything about the fans.  

Angels are welcome to LA, but should be referred to as LAA in the scorebugs and the Dodgers should be exclusively referred to as L.A.

In a weird sort of way, I dont know how I would feel about the Orange Angles. Dont think I'd like it, but

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

23 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Still think the Brewers should adopt powder blue as a secondary color.  Drop the pointless royal blue and replace it with powder.

There’s history there, it would blunt the “looks like Michigan!” complaints, and it would bring the Brewers into line with the People’s Flag of Milwaukee.  Which they’ve already adopted in their merchandise. 

spacer.png

And seriously, they need a Texas Rangers-style flag sleeve patch on one of their jerseys.  Maybe the roads?

I have a feeling we'll see powder blue road alts next year. 

I can't say I've heard too many people Make the Michigan complaint about the Brewers (at least not to the extent I heard it re: the Packers throwbacks). But you're 100% correct on powder vs. royal. Love the flag idea too.

Archived