kimball

MLB Changes 2020

8 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Neither should have a second cap. The Orioles should use the road cap full-time, while the A's should NEVER wear a road cap.

"But no white on the A's road uniform!" - Well, make the Elephant white again (as it was originally, John McGraw didn't call the Philly A's a "green elephant"), and you're set.

This:

7819492_orig.jpg hqdefault.jpg

...is so much better than this:

orioles12-joe-saundersjpg-800x445.jpg 420x0.jpg

The Tigers' two caps are fine.

Why would the O's stop using the best cap in baseball?

9 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

The Orioles should use the road cap full-time,

This:

7819492_orig.jpg 

...is so much better than this:

orioles12-joe-saundersjpg-800x445.jpg 

I love the O’s white front-panel cap, it’s easily one of my favorites in baseball. Another uniform element I hope never goes away.

As for the A’s, I agree with all of the comments supporting them going back to kelly green and sticking with the classic gold-brim hat. The Packers already have forest green & yellow, so I’d love the A’s to go their own direction, and own their classic scheme which is vastly underused.

9VIOnhc.jpg

It’s been encouraging to see them start to wear the kelly greens on the road the past few days for the first time since they were unveiled. I’d hope it’s a sign of a full return to the brighter green in the near future.

That kelly green Oakland uniform should be their full-time roads. The A's should always be bright and loud, perfect for wearing colored tops on the road.

This is better than both of those Orioles caps:

spacer.png

I've always found the realistic bird far too detailed to work well on a cap. It becomes nearly impossible to see the gold and silver highlights while the overall shape gets lost without a strong outline. The Smiley Bird, on the other hand, works perfectly: strong, thick outlines, simple form, and legibility at a distance. My only knocks against the Smiley Bird is the he's wearing an O's cap and not a B cap and the little white part that helps define the cap and bird. It's necessary, but unfortunate.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

No A's.  Just A.

Just A.

It’s been A’s for almost fifty years. I’d say keep it, as part of the Charlie O. package (like bright colors and white shoes).

It should be A's

The right side of the A slopes heavily inward, leaving a space where the "'s" fits perfectly.

It should stay A's, but I still like using the full name on white, cursed KC-as-Yankee-farm-club heritage notwithstanding. Yellow and green alternates should just be A's; won't look so empty if there's a vibrant base color. Jacket script should either be A's or, if we're feeling daring, the old Oakland in arched varsity serif.

1 hour ago, TheHealthiestScratch said:

Wow, out of all places for my personal branding logo to get noticed (last name starts with "Burd"). I appreciate the compliment a lot, and I also appreciate as you giving me a reason to post it on the sports concept forums now. I have really wanted feedback, but never felt it was appropriate there. I guess it can be shown as a Baltimore concept! Here's your tweak for it.

Crazy, I figured it had to be an O's concept. I find that the white eye makes a world of difference to that end because of the old Orioles cap logos that were black, orange, and white. I dig it, inspired work.

38 minutes ago, the admiral said:

It should stay A's, but I still like using the full name on white, cursed KC-as-Yankee-farm-club heritage notwithstanding.

I’d limit the “Athletics” script to the jacket, like the Yankees do with their script or the Giants do with the “San Francisco” script. That script has been worn for over 30 years, but it’s still a mistake. Demote it to jacket duty.

38 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Yellow and green alternates should just be A's; won't look so empty if there's a vibrant base color. Jacket script should either be A's or, if we're feeling daring, the old Oakland in arched varsity serif.

I’d prefer this on a jacket.

spacer.png

...or the “Athletics” script. 

As long as the Padres keep these uniforms, they will finally have a great identity and the top 5 uniforms in baseball. Add to that, they will have the brown color market cornered, I just wish the Rockies would embrace purple more. I like the different shades and bright colors. With the Padres, Brewers and Diamondbacks improving, most of the league looks pretty good right now.

6 hours ago, joekono said:

As long as the Padres keep these uniforms, they will finally have a great identity and the top 5 uniforms in baseball. Add to that, they will have the brown color market cornered, I just wish the Rockies would embrace purple more. I like the different shades and bright colors. With the Padres, Brewers and Diamondbacks improving, most of the league looks pretty good right now.

I was trying to put together a bottom 5 some days ago. Beside the Marlins, Rangers and Twins I don't think there are any other cringeworthy set right now. The Rays and D-Backs aren't that bad but they'd probably have to go fourth and fifth while they're still far from being embarrassing.

3 hours ago, jp1409 said:

I was trying to put together a bottom 5 some days ago. Beside the Marlins, Rangers and Twins I don't think there are any other cringeworthy set right now. The Rays and D-Backs aren't that bad but they'd probably have to go fourth and fifth while they're still far from being embarrassing.

The Marlins set has kind of grown on me.  It's a huge improvement over their previous set, which to me had a LOT of flaws (bad font, too many colors, just ugly and forgettable in general) and never really looked right to me or grew on me.  I really like their current color scheme, and I actually think it's the best color scheme they've had in their history.  The only real complaint I have is how black-heavy the uniforms are, but even that I can somewhat give a pass to because I like how the electric blue and salmon (or whatever the technical color names are) really "pop" on a black background (which, I think, was the point of their black-heavy design).

Put it this way.... no matter how they could have played around with colors in their previous set, it would have looked ugly, because everything about their previous look was ugly (not just the colors).  With their current look, they've at least got a cool-looking logo and a decently stylish wordmark.  All they need to do is de-emphasize the black maybe a tiny bit.  They've got the potential for a great look with their current identity.

The Giants will be adding NOB to their home uniforms next season. The article only mentions the home creams, but i assume names will be on the black and orange alternates as well. 

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/jenkins/article/Player-names-returning-to-Giants-home-jerseys-15484634.php?utm_campaign=CMS Sharing Tools (Premium)&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

9 hours ago, SCalderwood said:

The Marlins set has kind of grown on me.  It's a huge improvement over their previous set, which to me had a LOT of flaws (bad font, too many colors, just ugly and forgettable in general) and never really looked right to me or grew on me.  I really like their current color scheme, and I actually think it's the best color scheme they've had in their history.  The only real complaint I have is how black-heavy the uniforms are, but even that I can somewhat give a pass to because I like how the electric blue and salmon (or whatever the technical color names are) really "pop" on a black background (which, I think, was the point of their black-heavy design).

Put it this way.... no matter how they could have played around with colors in their previous set, it would have looked ugly, because everything about their previous look was ugly (not just the colors).  With their current look, they've at least got a cool-looking logo and a decently stylish wordmark.  All they need to do is de-emphasize the black maybe a tiny bit.  They've got the potential for a great look with their current identity.

Yes.  If they stick with the black, make all of the outlines thicker.  I like the black on grey look for the road, but the white jersey needs the blue name and numbers.  Blue names and numbers would be good on the black also.  My dream jersey would be a blue jersey with Marlins across the front.  It's the best looking blue in the league, they should emphasize it.  Hopefully they'll smarten up in the offseason.

17 hours ago, dmmdoublem said:

The Giants will be adding NOB to their home uniforms next season. The article only mentions the home creams, but i assume names will be on the black and orange alternates as well. 

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/jenkins/article/Player-names-returning-to-Giants-home-jerseys-15484634.php?utm_campaign=CMS Sharing Tools (Premium)&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Dislike

The time to do that would have been 2008, when Bonds left and the team had to establish a new cast of characters once they were out from under his bulbous shadow. But then they didn't, and they won the World Series three times, and the team's been around since the 1880s and wears a facsimile of natural-fiber uniforms, so at this point they should stick to no names at home. Bad move.

2012-2018 Marlins had too many colors? I say not enough! Where were those lovely shades of jungle green and creamsicle orange they teased? Nowhere.

Baseball Players Celebrate Negro Leagues with Patch Today

August 16, 2020 - 13:53 PM

All Major League Baseball teams and players will wear a red patch featuring the blue silhouette of a baseball player on their jerseys today, Sunday, August 16, 2020. This patch is being worn in recognition of the 100th anniversary of the founding of the Negro National League, the first of

Read More...

Umpires Wearing EC, CM, RR Patches in 2020

August 16, 2020 - 18:21 PM

During the 2020 Major League Baseball season you may have noticed that all umpires are wearing three square patches featuring the initials EC, CM, and RR on their left sleeves. What are these patches for? Good question. All three are memorial patches, paying tribute to three former MLB umpires who

Read More...

Why honor the tradition and legacy you've established for well over a century when your spreadsheets say you can make slightly more money by changing things?