kimball

MLB Changes 2020

28 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

Why honor the tradition and legacy you've established for well over a century when your spreadsheets say you can make slightly more money by changing things?

It’s just names on the back and if anything, it’s a reaction to the team trying to rebuild after the big run from the first half of the ‘10s. Besides, they had NOB’s at home from 1973-99, so it’s not like the Yankees or Red Sox adding them.

I still don’t like it, but I guess it’s what’ll happen when you’re trying to rebuild from the Bobby Evans error.

On 8/14/2020 at 1:47 PM, dmmdoublem said:

The Giants will be adding NOB to their home uniforms next season. The article only mentions the home creams, but i assume names will be on the black and orange alternates as well. 

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/jenkins/article/Player-names-returning-to-Giants-home-jerseys-15484634.php?utm_campaign=CMS Sharing Tools (Premium)&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Why do they insist on slowly chipping away at their once great look? They’re the Braves of the west coast 🤦🏼‍♂️

3 minutes ago, FiddySicks said:

Why do they insist on slowly chipping away at their once great look? They’re the Braves of the west coast 🤦🏼‍♂️

Because post-dynasty activity and Baer wants to distract from “the incident.”

On 8/16/2020 at 8:19 AM, the admiral said:

2012-2018 Marlins had too many colors? I say not enough! Where were those lovely shades of jungle green and creamsicle orange they teased? Nowhere.

They had too many different colors (orange, black, blue, yellow) in their overall scheme, but they were sorely underutilized. Black became the most prominent color outside of the red-orange Sunday alternate. The wordmark on their road grays was white.

The current set has less overall colors in the scheme, but once again the colors are not being fully utilized and black appears to be the dominant color. Such a shame because the shade of blue is rather nice, though not nearly as sharp as the original teal was. The Marlins had a distinctive identity from 1993-2011, although teal became less prominent in the later years. Arizona has incorporated their own shade of it, but the Marlins were able to "own" a teal identity that set them apart from the rest of the league.

I'd say that the Marlins began chipping away at their great look almost immediately.  The shift to black as the dominant color came around very quickly, and at that point their distinctive identity was already gone.

3 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Because post-dynasty activity and Baer wants to distract from “the incident.”

Is that Barry Bonds? Heck - if you have a history like the Giants do, changing uniforms to get away from one player (or thing) takes you further away from all of the rest.

1 hour ago, Marlins93 said:

The Marlins had a distinctive identity from 1993-2011

From 2003 on they looked like the Yankees/White Sox/Rockies. Should have stuck with the teal. 

zehgmfr2aq7f3grh4uqjen7eh.gif

So much promise to this logo. The Marlins could have introduced a new paradigm to team color schemes: they'd be black and rainbow. (I liked that there was no purple in deference to the Rockies.) All sorts of ways (well, seven or eight) to express yourself through Marlins stuff. Maybe you're feeling blue today, maybe red-orange, maybe creamsicle orange, it's all in play. Except purple.

14 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Is that Barry Bonds? Heck - if you have a history like the Giants do, changing uniforms to get away from one player (or thing) takes you further away from all of the rest.

It's got nothing to do with Bonds. It's this:

I can see Baer wanting to use team affairs to distract from stuff like this (which fans still remember and hold against him). Also, the hiring of Kapler (and the allegations against him) rubbed fans the wrong way.

23 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

It's got nothing to do with Bonds. It's this:

I can see Baer wanting to use team affairs to distract from stuff like this (which fans still remember and hold against him). Also, the hiring of Kapler (and the allegations against him) rubbed fans the wrong way.

OK. I wouldn't change on-field branding on this basis. Seemes silly to me -- focus in the wrong place. Change your off-field actions because of off-field actions.

Just now, Sec19Row53 said:

OK. I wouldn't change on-field branding on this basis. Seemes silly to me -- focus in the wrong place. Change your off-field actions because of off-field actions.

This is an organization that prides itself on distractions and a lack of transparency. But still, I get the desire for NoB's, given that the team will be gearing up for a big rebuild as the last of the Sabean/Evans contracts expire. It's a way to market a "new generation" of the team, one without any real connection to the Bonds/Three-in-Five teams.

36 minutes ago, the admiral said:

From 2003 on they looked like the Yankees/White Sox/Rockies. Should have stuck with the teal. 

zehgmfr2aq7f3grh4uqjen7eh.gif

So much promise to this logo. The Marlins could have introduced a new paradigm to team color schemes: they'd be black and rainbow. (I liked that there was no purple in deference to the Rockies.) All sorts of ways (well, seven or eight) to express yourself through Marlins stuff. Maybe you're feeling blue today, maybe red-orange, maybe creamsicle orange, it's all in play. Except purple.

From a branding or team identity perspective, I really can't imagine something like this working. Perhaps I'd need to see uniform concepts, but a rainbow concept just doesn't seem like something that would look pleasing to the eye in practice. That logo always felt rather clip arty to me, too.

I think that there's an argument to be made for quality over quantity. A South Florida team doesn't need a bunch of different colors in their palette but they need to make sure the colors actually assert themselves in the team's identity. 2002 was the last season where a specific color (teal) other than black had a true presence in the uniform set, even though it was still less prominent than what the team was wearing from 1993 to 1995.

The Marlins have been a black heavy team since 2003 and all of their colors in the interim (teal, orange, blue, etc.) have been little more than accents. I understand why the Marlins made this switch in the aughts, since that was more fashionable in MLB, but never understood the heavy use of black in 2012 when they were trying to promote the vibrancy of the city and the park's aesthetics, and once again for the 2019 rebranding when they were pushing the 305 angle and touting their "colores." I've always assumed that the marketing higher ups in MLB are trying to make jerseys as fashionable streetware. Perhaps something monochromatic like the current black alternate or the hideous player's weekend jerseys from last season fit the bill in their view.

I would've preferred it if the Giants' home uniforms remained as is (minus the gold drop shadows, which I've never really liked), but I can live with NOB.

The only change the Giants should make is drop those road san francisco and go back to the interlocking SF during Will Clark era. 

39 minutes ago, lahaye7 said:

The only change the Giants should make is drop those road san francisco and go back to the interlocking SF during Will Clark era. 

They simply need these back :

GettyImages-76870212.0.jpg

56 minutes ago, lahaye7 said:

Yea, if they had to drop one of the two road jerseys they used from last year, I would have preferred they keep the “SF” jersey, as the “San Francisco” wordmark doesn’t look good with the headspoon piping. The road jersey they worn in 2010 would be ideal, though, as shown in the picture above.

Has anyone else seen these floating around Instagram or other various social media platforms? Most of these are done in good taste and makes me wish MLB would do City Alts.

(Dugout Creative)

spacer.png

spacer.png

Those are two of the worst uniforms I've ever seen and an insult to the game.

No reason to invite the worst part of the NBA into MLB.

13 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Most of these are done in good taste and makes me wish MLB would do City Alts.

giphy.webp

1 hour ago, jp1409 said:

They simply need these back :

GettyImages-76870212.0.jpg

No you mean they need to bring these back and make them the permanent road uniforms.

Scutaro_SF1.jpg