MLB Changes 2020

kimball

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

The Marlins have played four games against the Blue Jays this season, two in Miami, two in Buffalo, and they've worn nothing but powder blues. This madness has to stop, especially considering how great their home and road sets are.

Even their regular royal alts are so much better...

Jays are definitely overusing the powder blue sets but I feel like it's more of a marketing thing as a way to push the new look for this odd shortened season. I'm just saying I'll reserve judgment on it until 2021. If they're overusing it next year then yes it's a problem. Not sure if that makes any sense... I feel like they're overusing it now because it's new so they wanna show it off and see if fans get into it.

As for actual cardinal birds being red and not navy maybe I'm crazy but my mind has always justified the navy road cap as representing the dark "face" area and the darkened areas of feathers on the bird's wings and tail...

Northern CardinalStan 'The Man' Musial dies; No. 6 was greatest Cardinal | St. Louis  Cardinals | stltoday.comMLB: Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina out of lineup for fourth consecutive  game - Los Angeles TimesRanking the 2015 National League uniforms | Sporting News

14 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

The Marlins have played four games against the Blue Jays this season, two in Miami, two in Buffalo, and they've worn nothing but powder blues. This madness has to stop, especially considering how great their home and road sets are.

To be fair, they're probably trying to wear those close to as many games as they would have in a full season to promote/sell them and make up for lost revenue. 

3 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Ranking the 2015 National League uniforms | Sporting News

This is probably just my own bias coming through, but I've always thought the navy cap brings out a navy hue in the gray uniform, and that, the road grays look flat with the red cap. 

On 8/31/2020 at 9:09 PM, BBTV said:

I forget how many teams have NNOB at home, but for example, SF wears their number too low.  I'd wager that NYY and BOS are the only teams that ever get it right.

Mets got it wrong today too.   Though still a classy gesture.

spacer.png

Is there officially no shoe-color rule anymore?  Or is it just that there's more important things to worry about in 2020 and things will be normal next year?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, BBTV said:

Is there officially no shoe-color rule anymore?  Or is it just that there's more important things to worry about in 2020 and things will be normal next year?

There definitely isn't one this season. Bryce Harper has worn Phillie Phanatic glitter cleats.

spacer.png

Really like how the purple socks look with matching sleeves for once instead of black undershirts and purple socks which clash. Think this could be an upgrade for the rockies. Lean into the purple. Maybe use the road hat with the purple brim at home with purple sleeves/undershirts/socks

If the Rockies won't change their uniforms at least going with purple socks and accessories would be a huge upgrade, maybe even purple undershirts. 

Also about "the shoe rule" I saw that changing before 2020 so it's not just a "2020 is different" thing.  I wonder if the rule was dropped/changed or if they just stopped enforcing it. I don't mind some of the more colorful designs but I think insisting that the colors must be team colors makes a huge difference... for example, Miguel Rojas' Marlins colored Jordans look way better than Bryce Harper's neon green cleats:

Miami Marlins' Miguel Rojas talks pandemic and playoffs | Miami Herald

Bryce Harper wears Phillie Phanatic cleats on opening day

8 hours ago, HighCheese said:

spacer.png

Really like how the purple socks look with matching sleeves for once instead of black undershirts and purple socks which clash. Think this could be an upgrade for the rockies. Lean into the purple. Maybe use the road hat with the purple brim at home with purple sleeves/undershirts/socks

Has there ever been a two-toned cap that has really worked with pinstripes? Not many teams wear pinstripes, and even fewer have worn a two-toned hat with them...1999-2006 Reds is the only one that comes to mind. The Phillies had the alt hat in the 90s, but rarely wore it. 

A purple hat with a black brim might be pretty cool too (instead of the weird black underbrim that wrapped around they had a few years ago). Satin purple batting helmets would look good. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

9 hours ago, the admiral said:

The more purple, the better for the Rockies. Except I'd stick with black belts and shoes, purple shoes are probably a bridge too far.

Sure you didn't mean "a Fridge Too Far"?

G5ytOaA.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

If the Rockies won't change their uniforms at least going with purple socks and accessories would be a huge upgrade, maybe even purple undershirts. 

Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but is there a general consensus that the Rockies uniforms are bad? Personally, I like them, and I like that they've been consistent from day 1. I agree they could use more purple, but I think the example above -- where the purple is showcased in socks and black undershirts -- does the trick. 

I wouldn't classify the Rockies as a classic set, but I think they managed to get it right out of the box. 

I really respect the Rockies for being the only one of the four 90s expansion teams to sustain a consistent identity since their inception. The Marlins have had two hard and one soft rebrandings since 1993.

I wouldn't necessarily say that the Rockies "aced it the first time" or have the best set of the four, but I like their approach of making more subtle adjustments over the years instead of repeatedly hitting the reset button like the Marlins, Diamondbacks, and and Rays have done. The Rockies do have a solid set, though, despite some shortcomings, such as the black on black sleeveless. The wordmark isn't anything special but good enough not to warrant a total rebrand. I hope they continue to sustain this look and integrate a little bit more purple.

The black-on-black sleeveless, with silver numbers, is pretty awful. Rockies need to bring back the black alternates they wore in '93...

Item Detail - 1993 Dante Bichette Colorado Rockies Game-Used Alternate  Jersey (Inaugural Season)

"Rockies" always looked better on the front than "Colorado". 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived