MLB Changes 2020

kimball

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

The Rockies are so close to a classic set. 

The uniforms are pretty great, except for the wordmarks and monogram.  And I’d lean into purple a bit more, as described above.

That's kind of not "so close" when big portions of the identity, such as the wordmarks and the monogram, are the problem. What they have right boils down to "nice color scheme and pinstripes at home/placket stripes on the road." If we're using the American grading scale, this is a C- minus package.

23 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

I really respect the Rockies for being the only one of the four 90s expansion teams to sustain a consistent identity since their inception. The Marlins have had two hard and one soft rebrandings since 1993. I wouldn't necessarily say that the Rockies "aced it the first time" or have the best set of the four, but I like their approach of making more subtle adjustments over the years instead of repeatedly hitting the reset button like the Marlins, Diamondbacks, and and Rays have done. 

Same! While I don't really like the set that much, I do appreciate that the Rockies (like the Royals and Mets) have largely stuck with their initial look since their founding (albeit with BFBS phases for the Royals and Mets).

23 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

The Rockies do have a solid set, though, despite some shortcomings, such as the black on black sleeveless. The wordmark isn't anything special but good enough not to warrant a total rebrand. I hope they continue to sustain this look and integrate a little bit more purple.

I could imagine a very simple tweak to get rid of the inlays and a tweaking of the "CR" to improve it, while also making purple the cap/undershirt/sock color. Basically, take the '90s road jersey and make a whole set out of it.

15240219]&call=url[file:product.chain]

I've even tweaked the "Colorado" wordmark to not look so awful (seen here with the current design).

kNMqhgO.png4616_colorado_rockies-jersey-2017.png

I would pick the top option within my render.

3 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but is there a general consensus that the Rockies uniforms are bad? Personally, I like them, and I like that they've been consistent from day 1. I agree they could use more purple, but I think the example above -- where the purple is showcased in socks and black undershirts -- does the trick. 

I wouldn't classify the Rockies as a classic set, but I think they managed to get it right out of the box. 

Oh I definitely wasn't saying they have to change their uniforms, they're solid all around and are probably just a few tweaks away from being great but yeah I just meant they need to show more purple. It could be as simple as more purple names and numbers and other logos and lettering. It's too easy to look at the Rockies and think they're a black and white team especially in home games. Also I think their pinstripes need to be reevaluated. They're purple but good luck seeing them as anything other than black unless you're standing right in front of them. 

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

That's kind of not "so close" when big portions of the identity, such as the wordmarks and the monogram, are the problem. What they have right boils down to "nice color scheme and pinstripes at home/placket stripes on the road." If we're using the American grading scale, this is a C- minus package.

Same! While I don't really like the set that much, I do appreciate that the Rockies (like the Royals and Mets) have largely stuck with their initial look since their founding (albeit with BFBS phases for the Royals and Mets).

I could imagine a very simple tweak to get rid of the inlays and a tweaking of the "CR" to improve it, while also making purple the cap/undershirt/sock color. Basically, take the '90s road jersey and make a whole set out of it.

I've even tweaked the "Colorado" wordmark to not look so awful (seen here with the current design).

Yeah the top one would essentially be a really good natural replacement for the '93 jersey, which looked pretty good (though arguably not as good as the 94-99 jersey, which IMO is the best Rockies road jersey ever). I think the metallic stitching gets lost in graphic form, so your concept would probably look even better than shown. 

Vintage AUTHENTIC 1993 COLORADO ROCKIES Blank MLB RUSSELL GAME ROAD JERSEY  44 | #1926011921

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

That's kind of not "so close" when big portions of the identity, such as the wordmarks and the monogram, are the problem. What they have right boils down to "nice color scheme and pinstripes at home/placket stripes on the road."

Ha!  Fair enough, you got me.  :lol:

That road wordmark would look good on the home jersey.  Purple bordered with black, with white keyline to separate from the pinstripes.  Maybe that second outline could be silver, but the silver inlays are just awful.

I've also never loved the arched script, especially when they have a much more pleasing arc version on the cover of their magazine.

Eg2NqzjXsAINJlB?format=jpg&name=large

The first-and-last-larger doesn't work at all on an arched script.

Baseball Players Wearing Gold Ribbons, Wristbands Saturday

September 4, 2020 - 18:03 PM

Why are Major League Baseball players wearing gold ribbons? All MLB ballplayers and umpires will be wearing gold (or yellow) ribbons and wristbands across the league for all games played on Saturday, September 5, 2020. These special yellow ribbons and gold wristbands are being worn for MLB’s Childhood Cancer Awareness

Read More...

The Rockies' road "R" has bugged me for a long time. As a Rox fan, if they fixed that and put "Rockies" on the alt purples, they'd look awesome. The cap has proven to stand the test of time and the stitching looks amazing. I'd love to see them ditch the purple bills too to have a 1 cap classic look.

On a side note, the Marlins unis have grown on me 200% this season. Totally love 'em in every way.

On 9/4/2020 at 12:41 PM, Gothamite said:

Ha!  Fair enough, you got me.  :lol:

That road wordmark would look good on the home jersey.  Purple bordered with black, with white keyline to separate from the pinstripes.  Maybe that second outline could be silver, but the silver inlays are just awful.

I've also never loved the arched script, especially when they have a much more pleasing arc version on the cover of their magazine.

Eg2NqzjXsAINJlB?format=jpg&name=large

The first-and-last-larger doesn't work at all on an arched script.

Here’s a quick mockup of how that magazine cover logo would look on the Rockies’ home uni:

96-CDE6-FA-C8-A7-4047-927-F-7-E5776-E528

Rockies uniforms are very mehhh for me. Probably fall in the bottom half of the league, but I don’t hate em. 

What I didn’t care for though was the black vest Rocktober look. Maybe it still exists, I’m not positive. But why have the vest at all if you’re gonna wear a same color shirt underneath?? Come to think of it, wearing purple underneath the vest didn’t help either. Maybe vests in baseball should either be only white or gray.

Just... make the black alternate into a normal jersey. Doesn’t seem like all that tough of a solution. Wouldn’t that sell better anyways? 

90758391980.gif

5 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Here’s a quick mockup of how that magazine cover logo would look on the Rockies’ home uni:

96-CDE6-FA-C8-A7-4047-927-F-7-E5776-E528

The magazine cover actually uses the embroidery that is on the actual home uniform, that's where it comes from. They've been using that as the magazine logo for 20 years or so, so it probably comes from the earlier incarnation of the home and/or BP jersey.

On 9/6/2020 at 11:31 PM, miltonANDlumbergh said:

The magazine cover actually uses the embroidery that is on the actual home uniform, that's where it comes from. They've been using that as the magazine logo for 20 years or so, so it probably comes from the earlier incarnation of the home and/or BP jersey.

The magazine logo is just a product of graphic design.

The Rockies have never had vertically arched letters.

From 1993 Spring Training:

Baseball - Colorado - Rockies - Spring Training David Nied Blanked... News  Photo - Getty Images

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 9/6/2020 at 9:19 PM, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Rockies uniforms are very mehhh for me. Probably fall in the bottom half of the league, but I don’t hate em. 

What I didn’t care for though was the black vest Rocktober look. Maybe it still exists, I’m not positive. But why have the vest at all if you’re gonna wear a same color shirt underneath?? Come to think of it, wearing purple underneath the vest didn’t help either. Maybe vests in baseball should either be only white or gray.

Just... make the black alternate into a normal jersey. Doesn’t seem like all that tough of a solution. Wouldn’t that sell better anyways? 

I actually love the vests for some reason, but i agree. They look like a super generic business from the 90s. Like if you put "LLC" or something on there it would look like a small family owned business that hasn't updated in 30 years. 

Also that magazine looks like it's from 2004, crazy. 

All Pittsburgh Pirates Players Wearing #21 in Honour of Roberto Clemente

September 9, 2020 - 14:43 PM

Tonight on September 9, 2020, the Pittsburgh Pirates will pay tribute to one of the greatest human beings ever to play Major League Baseball. This year, for the league’s 19th annual Roberto Clemente Day celebration, the Pirates will do something they’ve never done before, have every uniformed player, coach, and

Read More...

I think I like filled-in lettering better for them.  I also hate the front number, and think that vertical arching would look more "mountain-ish".

I think they could go with purple caps and accessories.  I'm trying to think of an example where the hat shouldn't match the color of the pinstripes, and I'm coming up blank.

It's not like the black is bad, but purple might make more sense and further separate them from the comparison to the White Sox.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Speaking of White Sox, whatever happened to that black alt with the new White Sox script?  The one that was modeled after the players' weekend one, and looked like a softball jersey?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

11 minutes ago, BBTV said:

I'm trying to think of an example where the hat shouldn't match the color of the pinstripes, and I'm coming up blank.

Gary Sheffield dishes on Jim Leyland - Fish StripesAndre Dawson Autographed 8x10 Photo Florida Marlins PSA/DNA #Q93593 - Mill  Creek Sports

This is one example where it really works... the cap matches the undershirt and the pinstripes match the wordmark... the perfect balance between a light color and a dark color and for the Marlins itself I think it works best because the teal caps, while cool for nostalgia, were also gaudy. This look was the right difference between wearing unique colors and not looking like a little kid.

That's more a product of how awful the hat is, and that maybe they shouldn't have gone with pinstripes.  Now that I look at it, those look odd.  Maybe a teal bill would tie the cap into the wordmark/pinstripes better.

Archived