MLB Changes 2020

kimball

19 hours ago, BBTV said:

That hat does not belong on a major-league field.

The shame about the Rays is that nothing they come up with will look as good as it could because it'll be worn 81+ times in their dreary dome.  I think navy + lime has potential, but nothing will look great under that lighting.  I bet their current home look might be better received if it was seen in bright sunshine.  Under natural sun 'rays'.

It's still not natural sunlight but the Rays greatly improved the lighting at Tropicana Field recently, have you seen a game there in the last two seasons or so? Very noticeable difference.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I'd argue that the Mariners now own teal more than the Marlins do, because of longevity but also for the increase in it's use for the M's in the last decade or so.

I wouldn't necessarily call that teal, although it's probably closer than anything else a team is wearing. Maybe the Diamondbacks? It's more of a Northwest green, as they call it, that looks teal-ish in certain lighting, perhaps in the same way that the Marlins' current blue can be mistaken for teal under certain conditions.

If the Marlins went back to their 90s colors, I do think they'd be owning a rather unique shade.

9 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

I wouldn't necessarily call that teal, although it's probably closer than anything else a team is wearing. Maybe the Diamondbacks? It's more of a Northwest green, as they call it, that looks teal-ish in certain lighting, perhaps in the same way that the Marlins' current blue can be mistaken for teal under certain conditions.

If the Marlins went back to their 90s colors, I do think they'd be owning a rather unique shade.

It's a tinge darker than the Marlins 90s teal but it's definitely teal. Northwest green is just the Mariners' marketing term for it, like Miami Blue for the Marlins and Dodger Blue for the Dodgers. 

Disregard the shoes but here's the best side by side example of Marlins vs Mariners teal I could find...

Seattle Story: Why I root for the Mariners – The Top Step

I definitely wouldn't call the current Marlins blue teal, it may be mistakenly called that in certain lighting but it's definitely more a blue than a teal, very little to no green in it compared to teal.

Marlins' 2020 success means lowest draft position in a decade - Fish Stripes

I dunno if I'd qualify it as "teal", per se. Using Pantone shades, the Mariners' color leans closer to green when I compare them to Pantones of teal teams in my art program's color dropper. It's closer to a teal green than straight teal.

14 hours ago, 63Bulldogs63 said:

Speaking of, does this new navy alt basically look like the Indians or just me?

That's *more* than understandable.   Until they scrubbed the "Indians" off of the blue alt last year, Cleveland was using silver piping around the collar and sleeves.   It's almost as if the Braves picked up the piping the Indians pulled off their uniforms the second it happened.   It is definitely an improvement.   Their Navy needed piping.   So does Boston's.

The red wordmark with white outline on navy doesn't hurt either.

2 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I'd argue that the Mariners now own teal more than the Marlins do, because of longevity but also for the increase in it's use for the M's in the last decade or so.

But it's still a beloved part of their history.   The fans have intense nostalgia for it.   They wore it (in differing percentages) in both of their championships.   It's comparable to the blue/yellow of the Brewers.   If the Padres had stuck with the color scheme after the all-star game and never went brown I wouldn't have considered that disqualifying for the Brewers to bring it back.

As for Tampa Bay, the green set reminds me of the Brewers last set.   It's kinda dark and dreary, especially in an indoor home.   Say what you will about the current set, Columbia Blue is a breath of fresh air that really lightens up the set and the Trop as a whole.   The yellow exploding off of the navy is also quite nice.   Honestly, I think those three colors are really nice and think rebalancing them is more advantageous than going back or creating a hybrid.   I've never liked the Tulane-style old green/new blue concepts.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Given that the Marlins stumbled into 2 World Series titles while the Mariners had the greatest regular season team of all time and still have never even won an AL pennant... I’ll gladly win the teal argument

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

16 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

I dunno if I'd qualify it as "teal", per se. Using Pantone shades, the Mariners' color leans closer to green when I compare them to Pantones of teal teams in my art program's color dropper. It's closer to a teal green than straight teal.

Yes, if you look at the pantones there's a noticeable difference. Throughout the 90s, when the Marlins were still a teal team, I never found a ton of similarity between their shade and what the Mariners were wearing. There's an approximation, of course.

4 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

It's still not natural sunlight but the Rays greatly improved the lighting at Tropicana Field recently, have you seen a game there in the last two seasons or so? Very noticeable difference.

I saw the Phillies play there on TV this season.  Still looked very dreary.  I don't doubt that they've improved the lighting, but there's just no substitute for natural light and shadows.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, BBTV said:

I saw the Phillies play there on TV this season.  Still looked very dreary.  I don't doubt that they've improved the lighting, but there's just no substitute for natural light and shadows.

Have we gotten any looks of the Rays home whites in natural light amid the 2020 craziness? Game 1 of the ALCS was in the afternoon but they wore their navy alternates.

14 minutes ago, insert name said:

I’d love it if the Rays and Braves stopped wearing their alts for the rest of the postseason. 

Same with Houston.

I dont understand why the all star game is strictly grey v white (used to be alts all over the place) but the alts dominate the post season.

1 hour ago, Marlins93 said:

Have we gotten any looks of the Rays home whites in natural light amid the 2020 craziness? Game 1 of the ALCS was in the afternoon but they wore their navy alternates.

Look no farther than the All-Star Game.   San Diego and Anaheim both hosted the AL as the home team, so you should get plenty of shots in the afternoon sun there.

A cursory glance didn't show too much in terms of results save that in the late afternoon sun in Cleveland their whites give off a bit of a blue tint like the Dodgers sometimes do.   That and that I am shocked at how dark the Columbia drop shadow looks.   On the home whites it doesn't pop nearly as much as I expected.   I guess I got used to the navy alt.

spacer.png

spacer.png

11 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

As a Rays fan (I know...shocking), it is a gigantic improvement. 

It is still indoors and not a great stadium. But the haziness of the previous lights were terrible. These new lights make colors on TV pop so much better. 

The Rays also installed blue lights which help enhance coloring/lighting. But MLB has not approved them. So they go with the standard "white" bulbs.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2827552-rays-planning-to-light-tropicana-field-ceiling-with-blue-led-lights-next-season

On 10/12/2020 at 4:12 PM, Marlins93 said:

I'm just growing tired of navy, particularly navy alternates. I hope that the Braves don't win the World Series at all, but if they do so while wearing navy alternates, I'm going to lose my mind.

MLB needs to embrace other shades of color, especially for expansion teams like Tampa. A perfect opportunity to introduce some more green into the league.

The Padres re-introducing brown was one of the most exciting branding decisions MLB has made recently. I love it when a team is able to "own" a unique shade, which is one of the reasons why I want the Marlins to go back to teal.

I hope if MLB expands to 32 teams, we get another purple team.

On 10/12/2020 at 2:45 PM, coco1997 said:

There's some discussion in the "MLB in 2021" thread about what the Rays should do. Someone shared this bobblehead:

hsq4v6iovu0gegulpacx.jpg

Honestly, I think indigo and lime green is a really cool look and I'd be happy if they went this direction. Ditch the black and navy, too. 

I'd even add yellow to that for some additional pop and uniform element possibilities.  Indigo/lime/yellow would be a great combo.

22 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

As I look at it more, the Mariners Northwest green is a pretty misleading color when comparing the pantone shade, photos of the jersey, and the color used on their social media graphics. The Pantone shade is way more green and darker than the jersey and the color they use on their social media.

It's like if the Pantone color is one thing but everywhere else they use a shade which more resembles what the color looks like in action. I don't think I've ever seen a team with this much difference in color between the Pantone shade and the jersey and media. Of course I know different lighting and other factors are involved but I don't know if I've ever seen this drastic of a difference in tones of what is supposedly the same color.

2m01c821srfkt03hcssg585ej.gifMariners' Kyle Lewis continues multi-hit streak in home opener | Tacoma  News TribuneUniforms | Super Ichiro Crazy!

Gary Hill Jr. Joins Mariners Radio Broadcast Team as Executive  Producer/Engineer | by MarinersPR | From the Corner of Edgar & DaveImage

7 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

As I look at it more, the Mariners Northwest green is a pretty misleading color when comparing the pantone shade, photos of the jersey, and the color used on their social media graphics. The Pantone shade is way more green and darker than the jersey and the color they use on their social media.

It's like if the Pantone color is one thing but everywhere else they use a shade which more resembles what the color looks like in action. I don't think I've ever seen a team with this much difference in color between the Pantone shade and the jersey and media. Of course I know different lighting and other factors are involved but I don't know if I've ever seen this drastic of a difference in tones of what is supposedly the same color.

2m01c821srfkt03hcssg585ej.gifMariners' Kyle Lewis continues multi-hit streak in home opener | Tacoma  News TribuneUniforms | Super Ichiro Crazy!

Gary Hill Jr. Joins Mariners Radio Broadcast Team as Executive  Producer/Engineer | by MarinersPR | From the Corner of Edgar & DaveImage

Yes, this is a clear case of "print color" and "textile color" being actually two different colors for the most part.

I think it's more the lighting. Or how light reflects off the fabric, which has changed since the 90s. The photo of Ichiro looks a bit teal-ish (more brightly lit), but the other two appear closer to the the pantone shade to my eyes, especially the top one.

I'm just not convinced that they're a teal team and still think that the pantone most accurately reflects their identity. Although I will admit that the fabric looks brighter in more recent years, it hasn't always looked in the photo above:

1994_away_alt_new2.jpg

1 hour ago, Marlins93 said:

I think it's more the lighting. Or how light reflects off the fabric, which has changed since the 90s. The photo of Ichiro looks a bit teal-ish (more brightly lit), but the other two appear closer to the the pantone shade to my eyes, especially the top one.

I'm just not convinced that they're a teal team and still think that the pantone most accurately reflects their identity. Although I will admit that the fabric looks brighter in more recent years, it hasn't always looked in the photo above:

1994_away_alt_new2.jpg

You're totally right, lightning makes quite a difference. I've bought one in clearance when they switched to Nike and it's not teal at all. 

Archived