MLB Changes 2020

kimball

1 hour ago, Marlins93 said:

I think it's more the lighting. Or how light reflects off the fabric, which has changed since the 90s. The photo of Ichiro looks a bit teal-ish (more brightly lit), but the other two appear closer to the the pantone shade to my eyes, especially the top one.

I'm just not convinced that they're a teal team and still think that the pantone most accurately reflects their identity. Although I will admit that the fabric looks brighter in more recent years, it hasn't always looked in the photo above:

1994_away_alt_new2.jpg

The lighting in that picture makes that uniform look amazing.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/13/2020 at 12:11 PM, SilverBullet1929 said:

It's still not natural sunlight but the Rays greatly improved the lighting at Tropicana Field recently, have you seen a game there in the last two seasons or so? Very noticeable difference.

It’s still a dingy dome that should be demolished

21 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

1994_away_alt_new2.jpg

I know the lighting makes all the difference but you guys prefer the darker tone like this pic? To me that's more a dirty swamp or canal water color, like if that water is full of seaweed or algae and has a nasty smell to it. I wish it was more like the brighter teal version of the Ichiro pic which gives me more of a clean water feeling.

12 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I know the lighting makes all the difference but you guys prefer the darker tone like this pic? To me that's more a dirty swamp or canal water color, like if that water is full of seaweed or algae and has a nasty smell to it. I wish it was more like the brighter teal version of the Ichiro pic which gives me more of a clean water feeling.

I never associated “Northwest Green” with water. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I prefer it for the Mariners. It feels more fitting for the Pacific NW and it more elegantly complements their navy blue. 

Yeah the Pacific Northwest is loaded with forestry but Mariners are basically sailors and the team has a compass logo, I associate the Seattle Mariners more with sailing and marine life more than with forestry. But yes the Northwest Green color could represent the forests but even them I'm not specifically saying the color has to represent the water, more so just that that subdued dark hue reminds me of a swampy green.

1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Yeah the Pacific Northwest is loaded with forestry but Mariners are basically sailors and the team has a compass logo, I associate the Seattle Mariners more with sailing and marine life more than with forestry. But yes the Northwest Green color could represent the forests but even them I'm not specifically saying the color has to represent the water, more so just that that subdued dark hue reminds me of a swampy green.

I see your point, but it's the same logic as Marlins (the fish) not being associated with "caliente red." The colors aren't necessarily drawn only from the team's nickname.

6 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I think the brighter color they use on their caps is the perfect shade for them.  They need a bright color - even metallic silver thread can look dingy as an accent color.  They need a bright color to counteract the darkness of midnight navy.

ff_2659204alt1_full.jpg

Yeah this is what I'm thinking too. The brightness works better with the navy color which is why I'm surprised several seem to prefer the dark forest green tone. Judging by the team's social media graphics maybe they like the brighter color as well? The more I look at that cap I'm thinking it should be a primary or at least worn more often. And the more I look at that cap, I definitely see teal even if it isn't exact, even if it's more greenish, and even if it isn't like 90's Marlins teal. Feels like that cap is a better representation of the Mariners than the swampy dark green version.

This photograph is one of the better representations of what I think "northwest green" looks like. Although something has certainly changed more recently, whether it be lighting (outside of the dome), digital photography, or the textiles that are being used to manufacture jerseys nowadays. 

S24LNBVV4VBNNN6KJA2O6ACFUY.webp

Just now, Marlins93 said:

This photograph is one of the better representations of what I think "northwest green" looks like. Although something has certainly changed more recently, whether it be lighting (outside of the dome), digital photography, or the textiles that are being used to manufacture jerseys nowadays. 

S24LNBVV4VBNNN6KJA2O6ACFUY.webp

Yes! Excellent example and the right medium between "too bright teal" and "dark forest green." Also great comparisons in the background between the jersey, the green grass, and the light blue dugout.

On 10/11/2020 at 9:55 PM, selgy said:

It is popular here in Tampa. 

I think it is also Pitchers choice and Snell (the starter) I think really likes it. 

The light blue Rays jersey has been paired with the navy alternate hat for the past three seasons.  The light blue jersey is always the Sunday home jersey and has been since its introduction.

Archived