MLB Changes 2020

kimball

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Well, @espnboy13, wonder what that looks like no more!

jYIaqHW.png

This is exactly what they should do for my 2 cents. It ties the original BiG era in perfectly with the last 20 years. Coming up with a concept that looks like both the 1982 pennant winners AND the team that's coming off back to back postseasons is not an easy task, but this one accomplishes it.

That would be amazing. I would be all over that redesign.  Every time I see your concept, @SFGiants58, I get all warm and fuzzy. :D 

Your Barrelman needs a little more work, though; his swing is off.  If he’s a righty, with the bat ending up over his left shoulder, then his left foot should be in front. 

3yJZqnb.png

HIs hands are also in the wrong position (right should be over left on the bat), but I presume that's a deep dive reference to Hank Aaron, who originally learned the stance wrong as a boy and who later credited his arm strength to all those years of swinging the bat wrong.  😛 

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

That would be amazing. I would be all over that redesign.  Every time I see your concept, @SFGiants58, I get all warm and fuzzy. :D 

Your Barrelman needs a little more work, though; his swing is off.  If he’s a righty, with the bat ending up over his left shoulder, then his left foot should be in front. 

3yJZqnb.png

HIs hands are also in the wrong position (right should be over left on the bat), but I presume that's a deep dive reference to Hank Aaron, who originally learned the stance wrong as a boy and who later credited his arm strength to all those years of swinging the bat wrong.  😛 

Well, maybe he's a lefty? ;) 

Either way, I'm tweaking him for a right-handed version, if my lefty observation is inaccurate (I could just flip him). It would have been nice to know it was messed-up when I designed it over a year ago, but nobody at any point told me about these issues. I would have fixed it before I put it to use on a bunch of concepts that I now have to re-render as a result.

15 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Well, @espnboy13, wonder what that looks like no more!

jYIaqHW.png

That set looks phenomenal. Great work!

If the Brewers do something like this (and they should) then I want them to elevate the Beer Barrel Man as their primary mascot.  Human Bernie Brewer from the 80s was kinda cool, but mascot Bernie is kinda lame imo. 

Looks like they've already decided on Nashville Stars as the name, in honor of the Negro League team:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/2019/08/28/nashville-stars-mlb-expansion-team-tennessee-dave-stewart/2133502001/

I posted this in the MLB expansion thread as well:

https://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/113047-portland-and-other-mlb-expansion-name-possibilities/page/20/#comments

On 10/5/2019 at 6:05 PM, itsmb8 said:

Idk if I like the actual wordmarks used, but the navy and athletic gold does look fantastic.  And I think a state outline logo would look better as a sleeve patch.

This, 100x this, but I know Barrel Man is beloved by Brewers fans on this site. 

19 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Except not at all. Portland has a much more concrete plan (AFAIK) and I’m sure that the Mariners would want a rival to ease their travel time.

I am just citing history. In recent history, Portland fans did not show up to support AAA baseball. Nashville has. 

30 minutes ago, Brandon9485 said:

I am just citing history. In recent history, Portland fans did not show up to support AAA baseball. Nashville has. 

Well, Portland has a much stronger stadium plan that is further underway than Nashville's endeavors. The AAA Beavers fell into an attendance slump and the Timbers gained popularity inversely, so it makes sense for why the city prioritized an MLS club over the Beavers. AAA attendance doesn't always translate into MLB attendance. 

Archived