MLB Changes 2020

kimball

4 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Well, Portland has a much stronger stadium plan that is further underway than Nashville's endeavors. The AAA Beavers fell into an attendance slump and the Timbers gained popularity inversely, so it makes sense for why the city prioritized an MLS club over the Beavers. AAA attendance doesn't always translate into MLB attendance. 

Nashville is great sports town. However, I'm skeptical you'd get the owners of the Braves, Cardinals and Reds to sign off on that, given the way those clubs view their TN fans.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Anubis2051 said:

Sadly, both Charlotte and Nashville suffer from having brand new MiLB Stadiums that cannot be expanded to. 

That's why Portland has the advantage. Their MiLB stadium is now the Timbers' home, which does put them at a significant disadvantage for a temp stadium. Without a proper temporary venue, we'd have a situation where the Portland Diamond Project would have to build on speculation. You want to know what happened the last time an MLB stadium was built on speculation?

5356080450_22b991a958_b.jpg

A retractable-roof baseball stadium has little use if a team never comes via relocation or expansion. I hope Portland doesn't make that mistake. 

13 hours ago, Beeperino said:

Nashville is great sports town. However, I'm skeptical you'd get the owners of the Braves, Cardinals and Reds to sign off on that, given the way those clubs view their TN fans.

Just because they claim it doesn't make it true.  You could maybe realistically argue that Memphis is Cardinals territory based on the Redbirds history and the fact that Memphis views Nashville as a rival anyway, but that's about it.  Chattanooga is equidistant from Atlanta and Nashville, but every NFL fan map has it firmly as Titans territory. 

Not sure how the Reds factor in, TBH.  Anyone who remembers the days before television when radio broadcasts of Reds games reached Tennessee is pushing death by now.

22 hours ago, daveindc said:
Looks like they've already decided on Nashville Stars as the name, in honor of the Negro League team:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/2019/08/28/nashville-stars-mlb-expansion-team-tennessee-dave-stewart/2133502001/

I like that they want to pay tribute to the Negro Leagues but "Stars" is such an incredibly generic name. 

Best case scenario in case Nashville ever gets a MLB team is they just promote the Sounds to the Majors. The Sounds have a great identity that's uniquely theirs and a strong uniform history from which to draw influence. 

42 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

I like that the want to pay tribute to the Negro Leagues but "Stars" is such an incredibly genetic name. 

Best case scenario in case Nashville ever gets a MLB team is they just promote the Sounds to the Majors. The Sounds have a great identity that's uniquely theirs and a strong uniform history from which to draw influence. 

Either way, looks like yet another blue and red scheme in MLB. Best case scenario is they go with light blue/navy/red like the Titans. HEAVY on the light blue.

Please no Yellow Front panel. I never liked that era of sd caps

If anything, Go with this concept 

spacer.png

or your current era SD mark in this color scheme. 

brown on yellow, or bust imho. 

There’s a lot of yellow in that twitter vid though. 

The 50th did it here

spacer.png

Here’s a SnapBack of a pretty ideal setup imho

spacer.png

I was fond of this asg on field when it released. An ode to two eras

spacer.png
Turn this cap from navy to brown and we have a winner. A two tone SD if you will. 

5 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I like that they want to pay tribute to the Negro Leagues but "Stars" is such an incredibly generic name. 

Not if they lean on the Tennessee state flag for their branding, which it looks like they are.

9 hours ago, NicDB said:

Just because they claim it doesn't make it true.  You could maybe realistically argue that Memphis is Cardinals territory based on the Redbirds history and the fact that Memphis views Nashville as a rival anyway, but that's about it.  Chattanooga is equidistant from Atlanta and Nashville, but every NFL fan map has it firmly as Titans territory. 

Not sure how the Reds factor in, TBH.  Anyone who remembers the days before television when radio broadcasts of Reds games reached Tennessee is pushing death by now.

Well, they claim it (look at their respective blackout areas, offseason buss tours, etc.), but as I understand it, existing ownership votes on expansion cities.  I have a tough time believing those three would be happy about a new franchise in Nashville.

4 minutes ago, Beeperino said:

Well, they claim it (look at their respective blackout areas, offseason buss tours, etc.), but as I understand it, existing ownership votes on expansion cities.  I have a tough time believing those three would be happy about a new franchise in Nashville.

Would Seattle, giants and possible A’s be happy about Portland?

7 hours ago, daveindc said:

Either way, looks like yet another blue and red scheme in MLB. Best case scenario is they go with light blue/navy/red like the Titans. HEAVY on the light blue.

Or they could come up with something original. They'd be a new team, not beholden to anything. Maybe they'd even follow the Predators' lead and go primary gold. Aside from alternates nobody really 'owns' the colour in the major leagues and I'd imagine its built up a fair amount of favour in Tennessee by this point. Even if its not that, the last thing I'd like to see is another blue and red team. 

On 10/10/2019 at 12:41 PM, SFGiants58 said:

That's why Portland has the advantage. Their MiLB stadium is now the Timbers' home, which does put them at a significant disadvantage for a temp stadium. Without a proper temporary venue, we'd have a situation where the Portland Diamond Project would have to build on speculation. You want to know what happened the last time an MLB stadium was built on speculation?

5356080450_22b991a958_b.jpg

A retractable-roof baseball stadium has little use if a team never comes via relocation or expansion. I hope Portland doesn't make that mistake. 

*goes into a internet worm hole of Florida Suncoast Dome footage and information*

spacer.png

spacer.png

17 hours ago, dont care said:

Would Seattle, giants and possible A’s be happy about Portland?

Mariners are the only ones who could make a plausible claim on the Portland market.  And even that is a stretch. 

Other than that, I think the nearby teams would be thrilled with another set of relatively close road trips. 

Reading back through this whole topic, it appears the only updates we have for 2020 are:

-- All uniforms getting the Nike swoosh

-- Padres brown/yellow rebrand (covered in a separate topic)

-- possibly a "White Sox" script alternate

-- Dodgers All-Star patch

-- possibly a Twins "60 years in Minnesota" patch

Anything else yet?

Archived