MLB Changes 2020

kimball

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, BigEd76 said:

Reading back through this whole topic, it appears the only updates we have for 2020 are:

-- All uniforms getting the Nike swoosh

-- Padres brown/yellow rebrand (covered in a separate topic)

-- possibly a "White Sox" script alternate

-- Dodgers All-Star patch

-- possibly a Twins "60 years in Minnesota" patch

Anything else yet?

To add on to the Twins, they will most likely have a Powder Blue Throwback Uniform for the 60 in 2020.

da0Lbhs.png

The nationals navy uniform was new to this year right? It’s gorgeous, I’ve never really pain much attention to the Nats but out of the Navy and Red teams with a Navy alt ( Indians, Braves, Cardinals, Twins, Red Sox) they have clearly the best, they looked great tonight

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

2 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

The nationals navy uniform was new to this year right? It’s gorgeous, I’ve never really pain much attention to the Nats but out of the Navy and Red teams with a Navy alt ( Indians, Braves, Cardinals, Twins, Red Sox) they have clearly the best, they looked great tonight

The navy script alt was introduced last year.

They haven't lost in the playoffs yet in these, and it looks like they're going to stick with them.

9 hours ago, BigEd76 said:

Reading back through this whole topic, it appears the only updates we have for 2020 are:

-- All uniforms getting the Nike swoosh

-- Padres brown/yellow rebrand (covered in a separate topic)

-- possibly a "White Sox" script alternate

-- Dodgers All-Star patch

-- possibly a Twins "60 years in Minnesota" patch

Anything else yet?

Major League Baseball as a whole looks pretty solid so I'd imagine there wont be many changes in the coming years, even if Nike is taking over.  Although if there were changes, Id personally like to see:

-the Red Sox ditch navy and move to forest green to match the green monster and mascot

-the Twins adopt the Wild's color scheme

-the Angels add navy back into the mix on uniforms

-the A's switch to kelly green

-the Rockies basically use Jesse Alkire's concept

-the Royals utilize gold in their uniforms more

and lastly

-the Marlins go all-in on Miami Vice

Also, if the Indians are forced to rebrand, the Braves have to as well.

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

4 hours ago, itsmb8 said:

Major League Baseball as a whole looks pretty solid so I'd imagine there wont be many changes in the coming years, even if Nike is taking over.  Although if there were changes, Id personally like to see:

-the Red Sox ditch navy and move to forest green to match the green monster and mascot

and lastly

1. You don’t change a teams color scheme they have had for over 100 years just because.

2. Same thing but it’s been 60 years, and the wild have only been around less than 20 and haven’t been able to nail down a timeless look.

3. Forest green looks better

4. haven’t seen it

5. royals uniforms are perfect as is, and adding more gold just will clutter it.

6. As long as it means no black on black

11 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

The Cardinals do not have a navy alt uniform. 

8 hours ago, itsmb8 said:

Nope.

Maybe, but still nope.

A navy alt or a '60s/'90s-style hat would be nice, but it isn't necessary 

I could go for that!

Ugh, not that overdesigned garbage with the wavy pinstripes, barely any color contrast, a full dark green uniform (pants and all), taco bell-style front panels, and a generally goofy aesthetic.

image-asset.jpeg?format=1000w image-asset.jpeg?format=1500w New+Era_Diamond+Era_Colorado+Rockies_home-road.jpg?format=1000wNew+Era_Diamond+Era_Colorado+Rockies_alternate.jpg?format=1000w

The scripts and the new "CR" are OK, but they lack the "power" of a slab-serif or other design, while also missing the brand equity of the current brand (say what you want about it, but they picked a look and largely stuck with it).

LOGO_Colorado+Rockies.jpg?format=1000wimage-asset.jpeg?format=1000w

It would be a downgrade.

Yeah, leave that to the alternates.

and lastly

That's a terrible idea without repairing their current art assets. 

I'd love for both of those to happen, with preference towards Cleveland if only one can. 

You know what? I'm going all-in on this: I fully believe that at least team will make a colored uniform their full-time away, and my personal prediction is the Marlins.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that the Braves really should be getting the same kind of heat that Cleveland gets. (In my opinion, after Wahoo was gone, Cleveland was no longer the most egregious team, that 'honor' goes to the Washington NFL team.) The very Native-style tomahawk, the name (being an outdated reference to Natives), and stupid tomahawk chop is all pretty offensive. This also goes to the Chiefs, who could easily rebrand as a "fire chief", keeping the name and colors while simply getting rid of the arrowhead logo. However, the Braves will have to completely rebrand, hopefully towards something more Atlanta-themed and (fingers crossed) not RWB.

the user formerly known as cdclt

What is that Rockies script? How do you have little Western flourishes on cursive writing? Feel like I'm taking crazy pills here.

1 hour ago, NicDB said:

Didn't someone have a concept where they tweaked the Braves name to reference fire fighters and replaced the tomahawk with a fireman's axe? 

I always liked the one that turned the Indian in the Redskins logo into a potato.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

13 hours ago, itsmb8 said:

and lastly

I have to give a "please, NO!" to all of these, I'm afraid. Although I do like Oakland's kelly green alternate.

2 hours ago, NicDB said:

Didn't someone have a concept where they tweaked the Braves name to reference fire fighters and replaced the tomahawk with a fireman's axe? 

My concept was to do the whole "rising from the ashes" thing with Firebirds (hot take: Sherman burning down the city was the best thing that ever could have happened to it, as the rebuilding helped turn it into one of the biggest metropoles in the former Confederacy). I figured that it'd be nice if all of the Atlanta teams had a bird-themed name, especially one that's so appropriate for the city? Simply swap the navy for black and add some yellow-gold accents. 

If we wanted to stay local, I guess you could also use a train theme (Terminus being the original name of the city) or something music-related. Then again, the team plays in a suburb sequestered away from "scary" urban Atlanta, so I'm not sure how comfortable the team would be honoring the "hippity-hop playas." 

47 minutes ago, the admiral said:

What is that Rockies script? How do you have little Western flourishes on cursive writing? Feel like I'm taking crazy pills here.

You see what I mean when I keep seeing his work pop up as a viable rebrand? It's overdesigned and downright goofy. Like I said up front, I'm not a fan of Phoenix Design Works' efforts on the Rockies, but those are still better than Jesse Alkire's work. 

everything in that Rockies concept is horrific.

As a Padres fan and playing them 10+ times a year, like the pinstripes, ok with the road, purple is alright, but that damn black uniform is so annoying to see, seems like that's all they wear when they play here.

5 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Ugh, not that overdesigned garbage with the wavy pinstripes, barely any color contrast, a full dark green uniform (pants and all), taco bell-style front panels, and a generally goofy aesthetic.

image-asset.jpeg?format=1000w image-asset.jpeg?format=1500w New+Era_Diamond+Era_Colorado+Rockies_home-road.jpg?format=1000wNew+Era_Diamond+Era_Colorado+Rockies_alternate.jpg?format=1000w

The scripts and the new "CR" are OK, but they lack the "power" of a slab-serif or other design, while also missing the brand equity of the current brand (say what you want about it, but they picked a look and largely stuck with it).

LOGO_Colorado+Rockies.jpg?format=1000wimage-asset.jpeg?format=1000w

It would be a downgrade.

Huh. These are so.... intriguing. Like at a quick glance, the scripts and CR look solid, but:

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

How do you have little Western flourishes on cursive writing?

Anything more than a quick glance and it all starts to fall apart and becomes, how you so perfectly put it, overdesigned garbage. The topographical map pinstripes are just... I don't even know the right word. Gaudy? IDK, use whatever word you want to describe them, it's a case of thinking something will work when it just doesn't, and then it's repeated all over the place, not working in any application. It might work as a subliminal pattern on the numbers/scripts, but this use is just not working. 

The one Jesse Alkire concept series I really liked was his "Why Wahoo (and the Cleveland Indians' entire brand) is so awful" set: Link

Orientals.jpg?format=750wJews.jpg?format=750wHat_Chicanos.jpg?format=1000w

Being that my attitude towards the Cleveland AL club is "rebrand entirely," I got a kick out of it. I will say that the "Orientals" one could also work if it looked like this:

seuss021.jpg 

Ultimately, the "inferior other" archetype is a disgusting one, one that needed to go away ages ago. Since the Cleveland AL club tied up so much of their identity (in the "branding age" - where the name will always come with that henious logo) into one, I stand by eliminating the name. 

Archived