MLB Changes 2020

kimball

15 hours ago, itsmb8 said:

Also, if the Indians are forced to rebrand, the Braves have to as well.

I don't even care anymore. But totally agree, if the Indians are forced, the Braves have to.

If the Indians don't rebrand, they need a logo better than the block C.

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

If we wanted to stay local, I guess you could also use a train theme (Terminus being the original name of the city) or something music-related. Then again, the team plays in a suburb sequestered away from "scary" urban Atlanta, so I'm not sure how comfortable the team would be honoring the "hippity-hop playas." 

Krunk Wolverines II: Gettin' Krunker

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

16 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Krunk Wolverines II: Gettin' Krunker

giphy.gif

Speaking of material from 1997, I'd like to see the Rays keep the '90s throwbacks as a permanent part of their wardrobe. If they keep playing at The Trop, they need to look as bright as possible to combat the dinginess of that building.

2 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I thought crunk was early 2000s, like after Outkast got big but before Kanye West pioneered talking about your feelings all the time.

I'm sure it was, but I felt that the "krunk" sentiment as related to the suburbanites matched well with Mike Myers playing an out-of-touch father trying to connect with Seth Green playing a "young cool guy." 

1 hour ago, panthers_2012 said:

I don't even care anymore. But totally agree, if the Indians are forced, the Braves have to.

If the Indians don't rebrand, they need a logo better than the block C.

119bb7e4cc2a04f6ae8877e151de7778.jpg

The wordmark, too. And what the hell...the afro, too (RIP Oscar)

Somehow the caveman stuff is worse than Wahoo. That and it's so '70s that each cap comes with a copy of Elton John's Rush Job Caribou on 8-track.

R-6248480-1497183213-1540.jpeg.jpg

Like I've said before, unless they reach out to a tribe to help them with a design, a better course of action would be to rebrand entirely. 

19 hours ago, itsmb8 said:

-the Red Sox ditch navy and move to forest green to match the green monster and mascot

-the Twins adopt the Wild's color scheme

-the Angels add navy back into the mix on uniforms

-the A's switch to kelly green

-the Rockies basically use Jesse Alkire's concept

-the Royals utilize gold in their uniforms more

and lastly

-the Marlins go all-in on Miami Vice

Red Sox: Maybe some green alt gear, but that's it. All they really need to do is bring back the red 70s cap. 

Twins: Why not just go back to their Metrodome-era unis, but swap out navy for purple? It'd give them a distinctive look without disrupting the integrity of their brand, and purple is a very appropriate color for Minnesota.

A's: I could dig that. But the darker green is good too.

Rockies: No way. Just ditch the black and get a more western style font.

Royals: Don't fix what ain't broke.

Marlins: Just move away from black and they'll be fine.

Because the Metrodome set was bad. They just need cleaner versions of the Metropolitan Stadium-era scripts and a sorted-out color progression: anything on white is navy blue outlined in red, anything on navy blue is white outlined in red. 

Too many years are in the books for the Cleveland Indians not to be the Cleveland Indians anymore. Last chance to change was probably 1945, 1960 at the latest. The charter teams are all set in stone now. Wahoo is gone, that's as good as it'll get. 

8 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Too many years are in the books for the Cleveland Indians not to be the Cleveland Indians anymore. Last chance to change was probably 1945, 1960 at the latest. The charter teams are all set in stone now. Wahoo is gone, that's as good as it'll get. 

I don't think so. Now that Wahoo is gone, the name is next on the agenda. You can't placate the anti-Native American mascot crowd forever.

It's not like they have the success of the Braves to justify keeping it. Outside of a run in the '40s and '50s, as well as the '95-'01 teams and the blips of recent success, they haven't been a storied club. Their most recent title was in 1948. Unlike the Cubs, the "lovable loser" branding doesn't apply to Cleveland. They've been irrelevant, postseason chokers, and penny-pinchers for generations. For that alone, maybe dumping the brand is a good idea. 

Mac the Knife put it best:

On 9/7/2018 at 10:31 AM, Mac the Knife said:

If you're going to blow it up, blow it all the way up.  

Cleveland Spiders.  Purple, black and orange color scheme - mix some Colorado Rockies with a little Baltimore Orioles.

I grew up in Indians territory.  The team hasn't won a WS in 70 years.  Their history is such that it caused the "Major League" movies to be made.  Go ahead.  Blow it up and start anew.  What do you have to lose?

I don't really agree with his solution, but he made his points very well. 

I don’t think we should be putting how long an identity has existed over what it represents. I don’t care if it’s the best team in the league and has been for the past 150 years. If the name is racist, the name is racist and it needs to go

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

20 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

You can't placate the anti-Native American mascot crowd forever.

If you can't placate them, ignore them. They're not a large crowd, they just enjoy tremendous signal-boosting. Most people just want to watch their sports teams. Don't let fans come in wearing headdresses, sure, but other than that, never surrender, never stop posting.

6 minutes ago, the admiral said:

If you can't placate them, ignore them. They're not a large crowd, they just enjoy tremendous signal-boosting. Most people just want to watch their sports teams. Don't let fans come in wearing headdresses, sure, but other than that, never surrender, never stop posting.

I get what your saying but, if something’s racist, it needs to be removed, full stop.

@SFGiants58 made a great point and referenced some of Jesse Alkire’s work.
How would you feel if your race was being portrayed offensively for a sports team.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Slippery slope but do you guys live amongst native Americans? I happen to. Many wear wahoo and Redskins gear. I get more 'nice hat' from native Americans than anyone else while wearing wahoo. It's always the white dudes I know who say 'that's racist'. Odd generalizations. But it works both ways. 

9 minutes ago, MattMill said:

Slippery slope but do you guys live amongst native Americans? I happen to. Many wear wahoo and Redskins gear. I get more 'nice hat' from native Americans than anyone else while wearing wahoo. It's always the white dudes I know who say 'that's racist'. Odd generalizations. But it works both ways. 

Just talk to @BeerGuyJordan to hear that approval of Native American mascots isn't common in first nations communities.

Even if one disapproves, it has to go, IMHO.

8 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

I get what your saying but, if something’s racist, it needs to be removed, full stop.

They removed the logo. The name, albeit a misnomer, is innocuous in and of itself, and as long as it's handled responsibly (no Indian larping in the stands, kicking some money to indigenous groups), it's fine enough to get by. It's not ideal, but I'm not going to play Voldemort and pretend like their name can't touch my lips, either.

Archived