kimball

MLB Changes 2020

12 hours ago, Andrew_Gamer_NZP said:

?m=02&d=20190301&t=2&i=1361588977&r=LYNX

That is so much better than any other uniform they've ever worn.  

I think the number on the front of the Nats script jerseys is set a little to high causing the script to be set at a high angle.  The road Washington script doesn't seem to have this issue.

I wonder if this could be remedied with adjusting the location of the number ever so slightly towards the belt.

52 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

That is so much better than any other uniform they've ever worn.  

and it would be made better with the red being outlined in blue

Also with the regular hats, but that is just me.

1 minute ago, DiePerske said:

I didn't care for those hats when I first saw them, but they've grown on me.  White front panels don't always work for me, but here I think it sets them apart from all the other navy/red hats currently out there.  Plus, it reminds me (to some extent) of the Expos caps, which is a nice nod to their history...even if that nods only exists in my own mind. 

On 10/14/2019 at 11:38 AM, NicDB said:

It's only the Braves who have a somewhat plausible claim on Nashville... somewhat being the operative word.

But we've seen with the Brewers and Astros switching leagues and being closer to rival cities that it actually helps baseball to have teams closer together. Not spread out.

It may help the Brewers from a travel and fan standpoint. The Astros are now close to one divisional foe with the other three division teams halfway across the country on the West Coast. A third of their road games start two hours later than the normal Central starting time for their home games. As a fan, it's not convenient to watch 20+ games with a 9 p.m. first pitch, especially on a weeknight. Not sure how that helps baseball, especially with a non-existent rivalry with the Rangers. Both teams have only been good together once in seven years.

3 hours ago, cheo25 said:

It may help the Brewers from a travel and fan standpoint. The Astros are now close to one divisional foe with the other three division teams halfway across the country on the West Coast. A third of their road games start two hours later than the normal Central starting time for their home games. As a fan, it's not convenient to watch 20+ games with a 9 p.m. first pitch, especially on a weeknight. Not sure how that helps baseball, especially with a non-existent rivalry with the Rangers. Both teams have only been good together once in seven years.

Maybe it's more correct to say the Rangers have benefitted from the Astros switch. But it's not as if the Astros weren't on an island in the NL Central. Frankly, the point you raised still supports my own.... that baseball is better off with teams playing closer together.

6 hours ago, DiePerske said:

The blue script gives the overall look a good balance of colors. The red crown/blue bill cap would go perfect with this.

Image result for nationals spring training 2019Related image

On 10/12/2019 at 9:48 PM, MattMill said:

Slippery slope but do you guys live amongst native Americans? I happen to. Many wear wahoo and Redskins gear. I get more 'nice hat' from native Americans than anyone else while wearing wahoo. It's always the white dudes I know who say 'that's racist'. Odd generalizations. But it works both ways. 

I've actually had the opposite. I've never seen Wahoo (but a couple of the block C hats and jerseys) or Redskins gear (I think the latter was used by a gang on one rez I worked on, but that was back a few years). I've seen tons of CHI Blackhawks, ND Sioux, and even some ATL Braves. Not to discount your experience, but I've worked in four different states in two parts of the country on reservations.

On 10/12/2019 at 9:59 PM, the admiral said:

They removed the logo. The name, albeit a misnomer, is innocuous in and of itself, and as long as it's handled responsibly (no Indian larping in the stands, kicking some money to indigenous groups), it's fine enough to get by. It's not ideal, but I'm not going to play Voldemort and pretend like their name can't touch my lips, either.

They might be able to get away with it, but this would certainly be more successful if they'd ditched Wahoo sooner. I'm not convinced they'll never change it, but I'm happy Wahoo is gone. 

On 10/13/2019 at 2:57 PM, selgy said:

Atlanta, St. Louis, and Cincinnati would never let this happen

Eh, the Braves and Cards yes. I lived in the Nashville area for years and can probably count the Reds merch encountered on one hand. Which is surprising, because I think Reds have access to the market. I don't think they've invested in it like they have Louisville.

On 10/14/2019 at 9:38 AM, NicDB said:

It's only the Braves who have a somewhat plausible claim on Nashville... somewhat being the operative word.

But we've seen with the Brewers and Astros switching leagues and being closer to rival cities that it actually helps baseball to have teams closer together. Not spread out.

The Braves have the strongest hold on the tv market, but the Reds do technically share it. I don't know how much recourse they would have to interfere, but there are a lot of Cards fans in Nashville. I would say they're almost as popular as the Braves.

The only reason why St Louis has a hold on the Nashville-baseball fanbase is because of the Redbirds, which if Nashville did get a MLB team, would dwindle quickly IMO.  I think its pretty close to a "Milwaukee-NHL" situation.  Both the Wild, Preds, AND Hawks have a hold on the Milwaukee area in hockey (Chicago the least which is sorta shocking considering they are the closest), but people in Milwaukee have wanted an NHL team for AWHILE.  

Overall I think Montreal (obviously) and Portland are the most logical destinations because of tradition with Montreal and with Portland helping to even the balance across the entire country (in terms of divisions and geography).  Adding 2 of Montreal, Charlotte, and Nashville would, to me, make baseball too east coast-heavy.  But in terms of sustaining a franchise, then i think Montreal, Charlotte, and Nashville are the best locations.

2 hours ago, itsmb8 said:

The only reason why St Louis has a hold on the Nashville-baseball fanbase is because of the Redbirds, which if Nashville did get a MLB team, would dwindle quickly IMO.  I think its pretty close to a "Milwaukee-NHL" situation.  Both the Wild, Preds, AND Hawks have a hold on the Milwaukee area in hockey (Chicago the least which is sorta shocking considering they are the closest), but people in Milwaukee have wanted an NHL team for AWHILE.  

I can't say I've known any Wild fans in Milwaukee who didn't have some sort of roots in Minnesota or at least Western Wisconsin. It's really just Hawks and Preds fans with a smattering of Red Wings. And even a lot of those have ties to Michigan or Northeast Wisco (near the U.P.).

4 hours ago, itsmb8 said:

Overall I think Montreal (obviously) and Portland are the most logical destinations because of tradition with Montreal and with Portland helping to even the balance across the entire country (in terms of divisions and geography).  Adding 2 of Montreal, Charlotte, and Nashville would, to me, make baseball too east coast-heavy.  But in terms of sustaining a franchise, then i think Montreal, Charlotte, and Nashville are the best locations.

My bold prediction is Portland and Vegas will get the two expansion teams (if the A's don't move to either). Montreal will get the Rays and Nashville will get the O's. The White Sox will look to move to Charlotte in 10 years after the city refuses them another stadium. Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, daveindc said:

My bold prediction is Portland and Vegas will get the two expansion teams (if the A's don't move to either). Montreal will get the Rays and Nashville will get the O's. The White Sox will look to move to Charlotte in 10 years after the city refuses them another stadium. Thoughts?

I don't think the Orioles will be in any true danger of moving, which also applies to the White Sox. The Trop's lease will prevent a move for some time, sadly.

9 minutes ago, daveindc said:

the Orioles? they aren't going anywhere.

20 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I don't think the Orioles will be in any true danger of moving, which also applies to the White Sox. The Trop's lease will prevent a move for some time, sadly.

Orioles moving seems unthinkable, but rumors are already circulating. We'll see what happens when Angelos sells the team and the lease is up in a couple years.

As far as the White Sox, they did threaten to move in the past. From what I understand, the city still hasn't recouped the money from financing that stadium. I just don't see how they can compete with Wrigley and the Cubs unless they counter with a great new stadium and location. 

14 minutes ago, axiom20xx said:

the Orioles? they aren't going anywhere.

That's what they said about the Colts.

Even being the #2 team in Chicago (albeit with history dating back to the 19th century) is still better than being #1 in any place that could realistically host a team. 

19 minutes ago, daveindc said:

I just don't see how they can compete with Wrigley and the Cubs unless they counter with a great new stadium and location. 

Maybe they can get a stadium that's three miles from the Loop and is right on the main rapid transit line, the main south-suburban commuter line, and a major expressway, that'd be a real coup for them

18 minutes ago, daveindc said:

Orioles moving seems unthinkable, but rumors are already circulating. We'll see what happens when Angelos sells the team and the lease is up in a couple years.

I'm sure a local buyer will emerge or the lease will be re-upped at some point.

That's what they said about the Colts.

...which is why I doubt Baltimore lets it happen again.

10 minutes ago, NicDB said:

Even being the #2 team in Chicago (albeit with history dating back to the 19th century) is still better than being #1 in any place that could realistically host a team. 

That's ultimately the argument for why the Clippers will never leave Greater Los Angeles. When you're in a top 5 media market, it's hard to leave.

33 minutes ago, NicDB said:

True. The Chicago Metro Area has a pop of over 9M, so if they can attract a third of baseball fans there they'll be fine. It just doesn't seem they can maintain that with that stadium. It took them a WS win just to get them up to a 36K per game avg the following year, and it went down hill again since then. Compare that to the lovable loser Cubs who pack Wrigley every year no matter what. Even more so now with the recent success. 

True. The Chicago Metro Area has a pop of over 9M, so if they can attract a third of baseball fans there they'll be fine. It just doesn't seem they can maintain that with that stadium. It took them a WS win just to get them up to a 36K per game avg the following year, and it went down hill again since then. Compare that to the lovable loser Cubs who pack Wrigley every year no matter what. Even more so now with the recent success. 

It bears mentioning that of the top 20 best attended MLB teams in 2019, only 6 are in the American League. The dominance of 2 teams for so long seems to have lulled a lot of AL fanbases into apathy. 

Even with everything working against the Sox in Chicago, I just can't see their situation being any better in a new market. 

Not uniform related but I hope SCEA adds Olympic Stadium in MLB 20 the Show so I can play all Expos (Nationals) games in Olympic Stadium with the either the 1981 or 1994 Expos homes jerseys.

Anyway the Rangers won't be getting new uniforms or even a new alternate for next season since their moving into a new ball park?

Have the Houston Astros officially retired their 2013-2019 Away Cap (Navy Crown/Orange Bill) as they haven't worn that cap in ages it seams like.