kimball

MLB Changes 2020

Do we have any confirmation that the numbers will indeed be red? I love this script but if going with navy means that the Braves-ish cap will be worn at home then I don't like this move at all...

12 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The introduction of this new Nationals jersey is such an unfortunate event. The previous look was magnificent.

Eaton.Adam-3.jpg

This is just a gorgeous baseball uniform. (To mention its only flaw, the two-colour piping which should be red only, would be to quibble.)

The Nationals have gone from one of the very best looks in baseball to a look that sits firmly within the bottom half.  

Really wish we could have seen this look in the World Series. And it’s a shame that the Nats “main hat” (in marketing, commercials, etc) is only worn about 20 games per season now. 

The Nats already had too many uniforms, this new white alternate will be their third white uniform alone if they keep the Stars and Stripes alternate. Hard to build a solid identity with so many looks. 

13 hours ago, MattMill said:

spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png

I don’t mean to sound like I’m exaggerating when I say this, but I legitimately think this might be the worst cap logo I’ve ever seen. There’s absolutely no character in the W at all. A cap logo doesn’t need to be super complex, but this goes too far in the opposite direction. Way too skinny lines, no serifs, nothing that makes it work later than the 1950s

12 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The introduction of this new Nationals jersey is such an unfortunate event. The previous look was magnificent.

Eaton.Adam-3.jpg

This is just a gorgeous baseball uniform. (To mention its only flaw, the two-colour piping which should be red only, would be to quibble.)

The Nationals have gone from one of the very best looks in baseball to a look that sits firmly within the bottom half.  

That uniform is awful. The "curly W" makes for a dreadful chest logo, while the red cap is a nice reminder of the team that killed baseball in DC for over 30 years.

Short_Stinks.jpg

Getting rid of the red cap would be an excellent development. The "Nationals" alternate is excellent and should be the primary home uniform with the road cap. Also, the two-color trim is fine by me. 

1 hour ago, jn8 said:

I don’t mean to sound like I’m exaggerating when I say this, but I legitimately think this might be the worst cap logo I’ve ever seen. There’s absolutely no character in the W at all. A cap logo doesn’t need to be super complex, but this goes too far in the opposite direction. Way too skinny lines, no serifs, nothing that makes it work later than the 1950s

Said it before, I'm sure, but I feel as if the original Senators were the last team or close to it to really figure out sports branding. By the 1950s, all the other teams were settling into designs that have pretty much stood the test of time if they weren't there already, while the Senators were just wearing plain jerseys with a plain W until they figured out a proto-Twins look by the last couple years in DC. Even the Cleveland Browns had a color scheme to trade on, this was Generic Baseball Team #16.

Just now, the admiral said:

Said it before, I'm sure, but I feel as if the original Senators were the last team or close to it to really figure out sports branding. By the 1950s, all the other teams were settling into designs that have pretty much stood the test of time if they weren't there already, while the Senators were just wearing plain jerseys with a plain W until they figured out a proto-Twins look by the last couple years in DC. Even the Cleveland Browns had a color scheme to trade on, this was Generic Baseball Team #16.

The whole “not codifying a name until the ‘50s” stance really hurt their place in memory. I use the name you came up with, the “SeNationaltors.”

It’s a nice piece of Griffith cheapness. 

One thing I'm curious about is what helmet they'll use when wearing the jersey. I would assume the Capitol building hat would continue to be worn with it, and the main road helmet matches it more (navy crown, red bill), but during ST they used the primary home helmet, and it didn't look the greatest IMO.

brandon-snyder-of-the-washington-nationa

howie-kendrick-of-the-washington-nationa

46 minutes ago, Andrew_Gamer_NZP said:

One thing I'm curious about is what helmet they'll use when wearing the jersey. I would assume the Capitol building hat would continue to be worn with it, and the main road helmet matches it more (navy crown, red bill), but during ST they used the primary home helmet, and it didn't look the greatest IMO.

brandon-snyder-of-the-washington-nationa

howie-kendrick-of-the-washington-nationa

Why do you say that? It looks perfectly fine to me.

juan-soto-of-the-washington-nationals-re

yan-gomes-of-the-washington-nationals-is

The Giants will be celebrating their 20th season at Oracle Park in 2020. There will be a patch on the jerseys they wear. Haven’t seen any designs of the logo yet though. 

I’m hoping it’s similar to the inaugural season patch they wore in 2000 (Which, of course, I can’t find anywhere online). 

15 minutes ago, Bucfan56 said:

I’m hoping it’s similar to the inaugural season patch they wore in 2000 (Which, of course, I can’t find anywhere online). 

s-l300.jpg

On 11/16/2019 at 4:44 PM, daveindc said:

Why do you say that? It looks perfectly fine to me.

I don't hate it, but with the script and NOB being navy with a red outline, the jersey is trying to be a nice even mix of navy/red (IMO), but the helmet is pretty much just red , with practically no navy on it.

4 hours ago, larrypep said:

There was nothing wrong with the way it was, I wouldn’t have ever noticed such a minor detail.  

I liked the trapezoid top of the T.

Match the serifs of the S is all they had to do.

This reminds me of the tweak that the Dodgers did to their LA monogram a few years ago, except I can tell that this changed for the better whereas I could not with the Dodgers. I could stand the outline being a little thicker but the letter forms are all much better here.

Not a huge change, but a clear improvement. The S looks more balanced now and the T actually looks like a T.

15 hours ago, VandyDelphia Mike said:

s-l300.jpg

No, that’s not the one I’m thinking of. This particular patch was worn (I believe) only on the caps. It featured a baseball splashing into McCovey cove. I’ve found pins that are similar, but unless my memory is shot (definitely a possibility 😂) it was a little different from that. I used to have one of those caps but I outgrew it years ago.