kimball

MLB Changes 2020

6 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

I’ve said it before, but using the Spiders identity with purple, black, and just a touch of red would be absolutely fantastic for Cleveland. 

Spiders?  nobody likes spiders. Just like there is no crying in baseball.

On 11/26/2019 at 9:15 PM, jp1409 said:

We talked about the Brewers inconsistent piping a lot lately but that new home alt not having the piping at the edge of the sleeves like all their other jerseys is bugging me like crazy...

which one is that?

On 11/26/2019 at 1:06 AM, itsmb8 said:

This is true.  Half the people on Twitter and Facebook that commented on the rebrand posts said "bring back powder blue!"

Those folks must be pretty stupid, or rather don't know their history.

baby blue was never a Twins color, or a cardinals color etc. it was used due to someone thought grey away jerseys were boring, so many teams got a blue away jersey.  the light blue classes with most teams color schemes. Looks awful imo

Not everything retro is awesome and beautiful.

Look at the styles of the 70's, haircuts, clothing, personal hygiene..... was it really that great, no!

With so many here complaining  about alternates, and "use gray on the road/keep it classy" i don't understand the love for powder blue, especially when it's not just the jersey, but pants as well,  A whole pajama set! 

12 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

I’ve said it before, but using the Spiders identity with purple, black, and just a touch of red would be absolutely fantastic for Cleveland. 

The TCU Spiders?

If the Spiders are black and purple, everyone on here would complain how they should lose the black and just be purple and white. a la the Rockies. 

12 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

Ravens colors in Cleveland? No. 

20 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The TCU Spiders?

If the Spiders are black and purple, everyone on here would complain how they should lose the black and just be purple and white. a la the Rockies. 

I doubt that. Still, purple and spiders? That's an idea everybody's favorite abusive husband thought of here!

On 9/7/2018 at 9:31 AM, Mac the Knife said:

If you're going to blow it up, blow it all the way up.  

Cleveland Spiders.  Purple, black and orange color scheme - mix some Colorado Rockies with a little Baltimore Orioles.

I grew up in Indians territory.  The team hasn't won a WS in 70 years.  Their history is such that it caused the "Major League" movies to be made.  Go ahead.  Blow it up and start anew.  What do you have to lose?

He may be an awful person to be around, but he has his head on right when it comes to Cleveland simply blowing it up and starting over.

16 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

Ravens colors in Cleveland? No. 

Indeed - bad idea. Maroon and orange, purple and orange, purple and red, etc. would all be better. Losing their traditional colors is the perfect punishment for the team that clung so dearly to MOD EDIT.

5 hours ago, skip88 said:

Yeah, no. People do like Spiders. Do people like to interact with diamonback snakes? Pest-like blue jays? Etc. Besides, there's plenty of crying in baseball. You're just mad that people don't like the "Indians" name.

5 hours ago, skip88 said:

baby blue was never a Twins color, or a cardinals color etc. it was used due to someone thought grey away jerseys were boring, so many teams got a blue away jersey.  the light blue classes with most teams color schemes. Looks awful imo

It doesn't really "class"/clash, it actually goes well with those colors. Work it in as an accent for some teams (like the Twins, Rays, or Cleveland) and you'd have something.

Look at the styles of the 70's, haircuts, clothing, personal hygiene..... was it really that great, no!

Not everything, no.

With so many here complaining  about alternates, and "use gray on the road/keep it classy" i don't understand the love for powder blue, especially when it's not just the jersey, but pants as well,  A whole pajama set! 

It's not particularly loved here, but people want to see it properly incorporated into color schemes to make it work like it didn't before.

Edited by SFGiants58
Responding to Skip88

35 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The Rockies have lots of black...?

I'm all for one less navy and red team.

I had never heard of the purple & red Mandela Effect for the Twins, but to be honest, I don’t mind thought of it as much as I might’ve imagined I would. I’d prefer some sort of combination of blue & green if the Twins had to be the team to change (navy & kelly in particular would look fantastic), but purple in place of navy wouldn’t be a bad option either. I’d prefer it to replacing navy with forest green, as that would result in too Southwestern of a scheme for my tastes. 

7 hours ago, skip88 said:

Spiders?  nobody likes spiders.

I love spiders. There isn’t a more misunderstood creature on the planet. 

And, if there’s an issue with the Cleveland team looking “Too Ravens”, then just swap the hierarchy of red and black. Purple, red, and a touch of black (you probably don’t NEED black, but... Yeah you kinda do with an identity like the Spiders). 

1 minute ago, Bucfan56 said:

I love spiders. There isn’t a more misunderstood creature on the planet. 

Vultures? They’re an essential part of many ecosystems, along with other carrion eaters.

Cleveland Vultures sounds kind of cool.

Edited by SFGiants58

Who do you know that’s as terrified of vultures as they are of spiders?

2 minutes ago, Bucfan56 said:

True. Still, vultures definitely can look menacing.

eiK4E4G.jpg

Oh yeah, those things are badass. 

The biggest difference between the two though is that I don’t think I’m ever going to groggily pull back the shower curtain first thing in the morning and discover a giant, shrieking vulture flopping around in my tub. They tend to kind of keep to themselves, which gives them a certain sense of majesty. 

55 minutes ago, Bucfan56 said:

A mutual enemy of Spider-Man and his rogues gallery? 

10 hours ago, skip88 said:

Except the quote you responded to was referring to the Brewers, whose colors naturally lent themselves to powder blue, and may have actually been chosen because of how well they paired with it. They didn't even have a gray road uniform until their 15th season, and didn't have one that buttoned down until their 20th.

5 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

The Rockies have lots of black...?

I'm all for one less navy and red team.

Yes the Rockies wear a lot of black. 

13 hours ago, skip88 said:

I would put this Northwoods League identity up against anything else in baseball. 
spacer.png

Regarding the whole purple Twins Mandela Effect thing.  As a kid I started following baseball around 1992, but to be honest I feel like my exposure to team colors, uniforms, etc. was more through baseball cards than anything else.  Obviously no Internet back then, so no way to just look up team logos and uniforms.  And I just don't remember watching the Twins a lot on TV.

Anyway, here's an example of a baseball card that I'm pretty sure I have somewhere in my attic...

1992-Topps-575-Kirby-Puckett-Baseball-Ca

As you can see the color they are using in that name block is not really "red."  That color is almost exactly the same shade as what Oracal-651 calls "purple-red"

Oracal_651_Color_Swatch-026_1024x1024.pn

And others may have mentioned this, but I think back then maybe baseball card manufacturers were trying to figure out a ways to distinguish teams that used similar colors.  With so many red teams I guess they wanted the Twins to look different to baseball card collectors?  And I do remember as a kid thinking of the Twins as being kind of a "purple" team.  But was their shade of red really all that different from other teams that used red?  I can only think that the reason I think of the Twins as using purple, or at least purple-red, is because of certain baseball cards I had, and not from ever actually watching the Twins play.

I remember Topps 93 baseball cards would use PINK in the Royal's baseball card color scheme, specifically, for the names of the players... now explain that one to me

Image result for 1993 topps royals"

19 hours ago, skip88 said:

I was referring to the Brewers specifically.  And, to that effect, I'd argue that the powder blue road look is one of their most iconic looks in the franchise's history because of how synonymous it is with the BiG logo.  Its maybe 1 or 2 notches below the pinstripes in terms of uniform popularity according to the fanbase.  

And like @NicDB said, Milwaukee started in Milwaukee in 1970, and wore powder blue in every year up until 1986.  They had their best season in '82, wearing the powder blue.