kimball

MLB Changes 2020

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, SCalderwood said:

Regarding the whole purple Twins Mandela Effect thing.  As a kid I started following baseball around 1992, but to be honest I feel like my exposure to team colors, uniforms, etc. was more through baseball cards than anything else.  Obviously no Internet back then, so no way to just look up team logos and uniforms.  And I just don't remember watching the Twins a lot on TV.

 

Anyway, here's an example of a baseball card that I'm pretty sure I have somewhere in my attic...

 

1992-Topps-575-Kirby-Puckett-Baseball-Ca

 

As you can see the color they are using in that name block is not really "red."  That color is almost exactly the same shade as what Oracal-651 calls "purple-red"

 

Oracal_651_Color_Swatch-026_1024x1024.pn

 

 

And others may have mentioned this, but I think back then maybe baseball card manufacturers were trying to figure out a ways to distinguish teams that used similar colors.  With so many red teams I guess they wanted the Twins to look different to baseball card collectors?  And I do remember as a kid thinking of the Twins as being kind of a "purple" team.  But was their shade of red really all that different from other teams that used red?  I can only think that the reason I think of the Twins as using purple, or at least purple-red, is because of certain baseball cards I had, and not from ever actually watching the Twins play.

 

I remember Topps 93 baseball cards would use PINK in the Royal's baseball card color scheme, specifically, for the names of the players... now explain that one to me

 

Image result for 1993 topps royals"


I too always thought they used a more scarlet-shade if red, and purplish-blue. Never saw them on TV other than the 87 and 91 WS, and the TVs weren’t great, so those cards is what I had to go by. 
 

once I realized it was regular-ass navy/red, my opinion plummeted (though I hated road pinstripes regardless of color)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2019 at 1:35 PM, gosioux76 said:

I'm always baffled by the suggestion that the Twins should somehow be the club that falls on the sword to break up the league's monotony and change to purple or green. It's not like this is an expansion club, or a team with zero history. This team has been some version of red and blue dating back to its days in Washington. it won two World Series championships as a red-and-blue team. Yet sure, let's scrap that so they can parrot the colors of two other teams in town that have won exactly nothing. And for what reason? So nobody would confuse them with the Indians or Red Sox? Is anybody actually doing that?

 

Since I'm on my old man soapbox here, I also don't understand why the Twins are somehow a team with a muddled identity. It seems pretty simple to me: They have a home wordmark, a road wordmark, a retro wordmark, and the TC ligature -- all applied in varying ways, with colors that either adhere to its current brand or to a throwback look. 

 

The Diamondbacks trot out brick and black and a random turquoise set and everyone just says "cool." 

 

While this is true, they were also the team that volunteered to be contracted less than 20 years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Anubis2051 said:

 

While this is true, they were also the team that volunteered to be contracted less than 20 years ago.


That doesn’t change their historical successes. Compare that to the team that never made the playoffs for over 40 years (during the two division format years, I might add), paired its identity to a woefully outdated caricature logo, and has a bit of a problem with “red face.”

 

Cleveland needs it, Minnesota doesn’t. Of course, one could always say that the Braves should just replace navy with black, but I’d rather not exchange a navy team for a black one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Breaking news: The Rangers will unveil new uniforms at an event at the almost-completed Globe Life Field on Wednesday. I’ll be covering it for my radio station.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AndrewG70 said:

Breaking news: The Rangers will unveil new uniforms at an event at the almost-completed Globe Life Field on Wednesday. I’ll be covering it for my radio station.

Do you know if they’ll get new logos as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

Do you know if they’ll get new logos as well?

Given the fact that their current logo is plastered all over Texas Live, I strongly doubt it. I will find out on Wednesday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:


That doesn’t change their historical successes. Compare that to the team that never made the playoffs for over 40 years (during the two division format years, I might add), paired its identity to a woefully outdated caricature logo, and has a bit of a problem with “red face.”

 

Cleveland needs it, Minnesota doesn’t. Of course, one could always say that the Braves should just replace navy with black, but I’d rather not exchange a navy team for a black one.

Well The Braves could and should get away with a switch to black. It's continuity in all of the Atlanta sports, and the navy is close enough to black ,as is. But, it's all good. It's still one of the top tier uniform sets in the entire league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, alecgoff said:

Possible new font for the Rangers??

Masthead_TexasRangers.svg

 

They've had that font for years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a historical precedent for the Braves wearing the "Atlanta" colors of black, red, and gold. Granred, it's from when they played a little bit further up I-95.

 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, kimball said:

IDK, it’s definitely not the team script. Looks more like the NOB font. Where did you find that @alecgoff?

 

 

ff_2327592_full.jpg&w=900

It is. And there's even a font created for it. It's nothing new.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NicDB said:

There is a historical precedent for the Braves wearing the "Atlanta" colors of black, red, and gold. Granred, it's from when they played a little bit further up I-95.

 

spacer.png

The colors are also prevalent in these...Those are definitely Atlanta colors, much like Black and yellow is synonymous with Pittsburgh.71UpTEQI0RL._SL1500_.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2019 at 12:35 PM, gosioux76 said:

I'm always baffled by the suggestion that the Twins should somehow be the club that falls on the sword to break up the league's monotony and change to purple or green. It's not like this is an expansion club, or a team with zero history. This team has been some version of red and blue dating back to its days in Washington. it won two World Series championships as a red-and-blue team. Yet sure, let's scrap that so they can parrot the colors of two other teams in town that have won exactly nothing. And for what reason? So nobody would confuse them with the Indians or Red Sox? Is anybody actually doing that?


FWIW, I've seen several attempts in the concept section to add green to the Red Sox.

But I think the Twins get called upon to do so because they could easily switch from navy to a dark purple without destroying the integrity of their brand.  Pretty much the opposite of how the Utah Jazz revived their "classic" brand, but with navy in place of purple.  For me, at least, the purple would have nothing to do with the Vikings, but rather a very famous and important Minneapolis native who's associated with the color.

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again, I’d rather have it done to Cleveland. They need something to look distinctive again that isn’t MOD EDIT. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Cleveland would do well to drop red in favor of the wine color that the Cavs use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, NicDB said:

I think Cleveland would do well to drop red in favor of the wine color that the Cavs use.


I could see them swapping navy blue for purple, doing maroon/orange, or forest green and red. It depends on the name. 
 

Either way, Cleveland should be the one. Not Minnesota, Boston, or Atlanta. I don’t think the “civic color scheme” thing works when you play in the suburbs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Either way, Cleveland should be the one. Not Minnesota, Boston, or Atlanta. I don’t think the “civic color scheme” thing works when you play in the suburbs.

 

You say Cleveland not Atlanta should drop it but the last part about civic pride and suburbs seems about the Braves. I'm kinda lost here, you're saying they should both drop it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jp1409 said:

 

You say Cleveland not Atlanta should drop it but the last part about civic pride and suburbs seems about the Braves. I'm kinda lost here, you're saying they should both drop it?


No, I’m saying Atlanta shouldn’t drop navy/red. The Braves shouldn’t adopt the black/red “civic color scheme” of Atlanta, because they moved out of Atlanta and into the suburbs. 
 

I should have worded that first post better.

 

Edited by SFGiants58

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm of the opinion that the teams using red, white, and blue should...just keep using red, white, and blue. 

These teams have all been using those colours for decades, over a century in some cases. They absolutely should not toss out that brand equity because some people find it "boring." 

 

The Twins in purple? Nah. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.