MLB Changes 2020

kimball

Slightly off-topic: but has anyone noticed that the teams with new uniforms for 2020 (so far, the Brewers, Diamondbacks, and Padres) are hardly selling their merchandise online? The Padres changed their uniforms nearly a month ago and the only merchandise for sale online (so far) is a Manny Machado authentic home jersey (for a cool $365), a couple of sweatshirts with the new jersey Swinging Friar logo, and that's about it. I've noticed that the Padres, Brewers, and D-backs largely are still selling old merchandise and that new arrivals feature old logos. Has this happened in years past? Do we know if its a result of the uniform supplier changing? Seems strange now that we're in the midst of the Christmas shopping season.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, OBomb said:

Slightly off-topic: but has anyone noticed that the teams with new uniforms for 2020 (so far, the Brewers, Diamondbacks, and Padres) are hardly selling their merchandise online? The Padres changed their uniforms nearly a month ago and the only merchandise for sale online (so far) is a Manny Machado authentic home jersey (for a cool $365), a couple of sweatshirts with the new jersey Swinging Friar logo, and that's about it. I've noticed that the Padres, Brewers, and D-backs largely are still selling old merchandise and that new arrivals feature old logos. Has this happened in years past? Do we know if its a result of the uniform supplier changing? Seems strange now that we're in the midst of the Christmas shopping season.

There will probably be more stuff once the League-Wide Nike Unveil happens whenever it happens.

da0Lbhs.png

1 hour ago, simtek34 said:

There will probably be more stuff once the League-Wide Nike Unveil happens whenever it happens.

Nike has taken over MLB for a month now.  Teams have just been really slow to release their new uniforms to the public.

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

1 hour ago, OBomb said:

it's bizarre. the Padres only have the home authentic onsale in the team shop, how are they not having any of this ready to release?? they could've made a killing already.

10 hours ago, OBomb said:

Yes this happens nearly every year - new baseball gear doesn't really show up until late February.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

In regards to the lack of new MLB merchandise, I think this is more so a Fanatics thing than any other reason. Also a reminder, Fanatics has created a monopoly and is in control of all of the MLB, NFL, NBA, & NHL online retail shops. This includes lids.com. As a passive observer, their marketing of new merchandise seems to be really really poor, there also seems to be an overall decrease of new releases of products compared to years past.

Also, I believe Nike reached a deal with Fanatics to have them basically take over all of their online Team Gear retailing. That would explain the lack of team merch on Nike's website.

Fanatics generally sucks and their website is atrocious. Its a real shame that it's pretty much everywhere.

Yes, Fanatics sucks.   Monopolies do, and Fanatics is really approaching that level.

I would love to hear Nike's justification for the ridiculous price hike.  Look at the original price for last year's road jersey and the price for this year's.

EKVS6B5XsAIpOjV?format=jpg&name=900x900

Keep in mind that they're the same jerseys made from the exact same materials on the exact same templates by the exact same people in the exact same factory in Pennsylvania.  But this year the price has gone up $119 for some reason.

That's an expensive swoosh.

36 minutes ago, TheOatsMustFlow said:

Fanatics generally sucks and their website is atrocious.

Dick's and Eastbay/Champs/Foot Locker have worse websites and fewer products though.

There are a lot of flaws with Fanatics on the buying and pricing sides...but product selection isn't one of them, except when it comes to specific store exclusives (e.g, why are hats available on MLBShop but not Fanatics if it's the same company?). Inventory control and cost of goods in inventory are real supply chain and accounting issues. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Dick's and Eastbay/Champs/Foot Locker have worse websites and fewer products though.

There are a lot of flaws with Fanatics on the buying and pricing sides...but product selection isn't one of them. Inventory control and cost of goods in inventory are real supply chain and accounting issues. 

The Fanatics branded clothing sucks. Sometimes poor quality and definitely poor sizing. I ordered a Blues Stanley Cup Champ shirt in XL. The thing ended at the top of my waistband, like a normal XL they literally cut off at the waistband of pants/shorts. So I ordered an XL TALL, which I already knew their's were massively oversized because I've ordered that size before, but thought I'd try again (wrong). So I WENT to Academy and found an XL that fit normally. It's completely random how each shirt's gonna actually fit. And for a primarily online store, that's a pain in the ass for customers.

48 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

There are a lot of flaws with Fanatics on the buying and pricing sides...but product selection isn't one of them, except when it comes to specific store exclusives (e.g, why are hats available on MLBShop but not Fanatics if it's the same company?). Inventory control and cost of goods in inventory are real supply chain and accounting issues. 

True, their quantity of products is huge but their quality, especially their own fanatics branded merch is terrible quality. As for diverse selection, i guess if you're really looking to buy a team branded flag pole mount...

I guess I just miss the days when each league ran their own easily navigable website with quality goods. And when Nike would have the whole catalog of team gear that was searchable on their webpage. Though, it appears those days are gone. Oh well. 

9 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

I know I am on a site where we are passionate about uniforms, but who in their right mind will pay nearly $500 for an authentic jersey? I could almost buy a week worth of full outfits for that price.

I feel you there. I promised myself I wouldn’t get an authentic Dodgers jersey (with my name and number) until they win the championship (looks like I’ll be waiting a long time)...but for almost $500 I’ll just stick with the replicas and purchase patches separately. Looks like I’ll save HUNDREDS of dollars if I go that route.

Theres no way in hell an authentic jersey is worth THAT much without a hand written signature from the player. Talk about price gouging.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

Archived