MLB Changes 2020

kimball

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, insert name said:

I don’t even buy video game systems that expensive. What makes them think an authentic baseball jersey is worth 2 times more than a PS4? 

Who pays $595 for men's skinny jeans? Somebody must...

https://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/dolce-gabbana-mens-basic-skinny-jeans-prod216150064?ecid=NMCS__GooglePLA&utm_source=google_shopping&adpos=1o3&scid=scplpsku182830216&sc_intid=sku182830216&gclid=CjwKCAiArJjvBRACEiwA-Wiqq9GgulWt5RVckbGyeHa4EIjWCenE8Lc1X4nnYGqUn3D5IoACI4VGABoCUoYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I am not trying to be political, and hopefully someone who knows better can enlighten me, but I wonder if the Nike jersey prices are a reflection of a double whammy. Fanatics says they are made in the USA, so one might conclude there are higher production costs compared to foreign made items. With that said, does anyone know where the actual materials for the jerseys are made? Could there be a higher material cost due to the current state of trade between the US and China?

3 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

They’re made in the exact same factory in Pennsylvania as last year.  Even if the material is sourced from overseas, I really doubt that’s the reason for the increase. 

And they are a business that is out to profit off their uniform deal, but the trade issue has impacted New Era. Increased costs are rarely absorbed by a brand. 

1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Yea but isn't there a point where people need to buy enough for the price to stick? Someone will buy the $400 jersey but will enough people do it for Nike to keep the prices that high?

Eventually Nike will cross that line. They may have done it with this price increase. 

11 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

Eventually Nike will cross that line. They may have done it with this price increase. 

If there's one thing that being a Bruins fan has taught me, it's that there is never a price so high that sports fans won't pay it.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

There’s no way that the jerseys have $120 worth of materials period, much less $120 more today thanks to the trade war. 

You're paying for the brand, plain and simple. Nike attaches a certain value to its Swoosh, which is how it justifies such a price hike. It's an egregious form of corporate arrogance, and a crime upon consumers, but it works, so they keep doing it. 

4 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Absolutely.  

That swoosh costs you $119.  Enjoy!

It's also why they insist on the Swoosh being on the front of the jersey. This seemed like a bigger deal when Nike took over the NBA contract, forcing the league logo to the back of the jersey rather than on the shoulder, where it had been for decades. That brand prominence is just another justification for the price hike. If it were obscured, it would likely argue that it has lower value, because consumers covet wearing the Swoosh. It's all bull :censored:, but you know that's exactly the root of their logic. 

3 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

This seemed like a bigger deal when Nike took over the NBA contract, forcing the league logo to the back of the jersey rather than on the shoulder, where it had been for decades. 

Actually, that wasn’t a Nike change, that happened under Adidas:

CafdzCp.jpg

The inevitable price hike and the swoosh on the front is why I scoured places to find the MLB jerseys I wanted be it eBay or other sources.  Most I paid for a jersey was $150.  I'll never pay $400+ for a baseball jersey.  Never.

Archived