kimball

MLB Changes 2020

Recommended Posts

Initial thoughts:

 

- I like the thick '70s-80s style sleeve and pant stripes

 

- The powder blue set is interesting, though it's weird that it's a home alt.

 

- Nice to have a "Rangers" script back, though I would've preferred that they just go back to the Nolan Ryan era script.

 

- I like the powder blue trim on the road sleeves, but I don't like that it's not anywhere else on the jersey. 

 

- I like that they've seemingly picked a lane and decided to go red at home, blue on the road. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had not even noticed the ugly and useless TX hat along the red jerseys, I thought it was a sleeve patch. This has to be one of the worst current MLB hats...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The TX logo is bad. The RANGERS script on the powder blue and white jersey are different from each other and that bothers the hell out of me. 

 

Aside from that, it’s a great upgrade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

Initial thoughts:

 

- I like that they've seemingly picked a lane and decided to go red at home

 

Jersey feels way more blue than red though so the red hats/accessories feel mismatched once again... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still too many inconsistencies across the brand. The home uniform doesn't look right with a red hat. So to me, they've made a lateral move. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mono powder uniforms with a white script and powder hats feel exactly like this without high socks.

 

66305493-portrait-of-male-nurse-standing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course the Rangers would add another blue to their set, because they are a team from Dallas and apparently (unless it's the Dallas Stars) blue is a must for all pro sports teams in Dallas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While there are a few nice elements, I'm not a fan overall.  Of all the new uniforms this offseason (and man, I don't recall there ever being so many in one offseason), these are the worst (IMO).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love that it says Rangers but not in love with that script... feels really random, should have gone with something that felt more like an update to a Rangers script or wordmark from their past. Now that I think about it not sure it should have even been a script. If they were sticking with the Texas block letters then I think block letters for the Rangers would have been best too. Maybe the script could have been like a spring training/BP thing?

 

Not a fan of the powder jersey, I don't think they need it, the powder pants are worse and useless, the powder cap is ridiculous, I think I actually hate it.

 

Love the thick piping update! The old trim was too thin.

 

They're still gonna ride the line as both a red and blue team and didn't pick one or the other... I don't mind that but I was wondering if they were gonna finally pick one and not doing so leads to some odd inconsistencies like I don't like the red cap with the home jersey if the Rangers script is gonna be blue.

 

I don't know what to think about the new TX logo... I enjoy a state logo but I don't think it needed anything more than the T alone.

 

If they're gonna be both a red and a blue team then I like when they look like one or the other on one day but not both. So I say it should always be one color jerseys and caps together but not a mix. Don't wear the red cap with a blue jersey or vice versa. They got this right with the blue and red alternates and the road gray but they messed it up with the home whites combo. And yes a two tone cap would have helped this problem.

 

if they wanna be a red team on Fridays and a blue team on Saturdays then fine but don't confuse everyone by wearing your red caps with your blue wordmark jerseys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok now that I see the home script is different on the white and powder version its bugging me. Should have given the home script a drop shadow like they did on the powder set

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So there's a pattern emerging of teams that want to both look modern and pay homage to their history. I've written many ineloquent defenses of the Twins' use of a modern wordmark and their historic script, applied in various forms. Now it appears Texas is following the same model. 

 

Also, I'm assuming that new TX logo is meant as a homage to this. Is that right? 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A loose observation that I'm not sure is a good thing but...

 

If most teams keep adding more and more retro inspired/throwback/fauxback looks then eventually instead of MLB in the 2020's looking like MLB in the 2020's then MLB in the 2020's is gonna look like MLB in the 1970's/80's etc etc. 

 

Like, if everyone goes throwback then when is it not a throwback anymore?

 

I feel like this is a puzzling conundrum that could bite us in the butts one day. Starting to feel like more teams should probably start looking more current... yes go with your best look but that doesn't have to just mean go back to your most nostalgic look every time either does it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

How many more teams are getting new sets?

 

I do want to echo this question. I usually don't do the the, "Hey, can someone recap? Who else is getting stuff?" comments, but I've dug around the thread and didn't see any kind of clear recap on what to expect. Who else should we be looking for new stuff from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Love that it says Rangers but not in love with that script... feels really random, should have gone with something that felt more like an update to a Rangers script or wordmark from their past. Now that I think about it not sure it should have even been a script. If they were sticking with the Texas block letters then I think block letters for the Rangers would have been best too. Maybe the script could have been like a spring training/BP thing?

 

Not a fan of the powder jersey, I don't think they need it, the powder pants are worse and useless, the powder cap is ridiculous, I think I actually hate it.

 

Love the thick piping update! The old trim was too thin.

 

They're still gonna ride the line as both a red and blue team and didn't pick one or the other... I don't mind that but I was wondering if they were gonna finally pick one and not doing so leads to some odd inconsistencies like I don't like the red cap with the home jersey if the Rangers script is gonna be blue.

 

I don't know what to think about the new TX logo... I enjoy a state logo but I don't think it needed anything more than the T alone.

 

If they're gonna be both a red and a blue team then I like when they look like one or the other on one day but not both. So I say it should always be one color jerseys and caps together but not a mix. Don't wear the red cap with a blue jersey or vice versa. They got this right with the blue and red alternates and the road gray but they messed it up with the home whites combo. And yes a two tone cap would have helped this problem.

 

if they wanna be a red team on Fridays and a blue team on Saturdays then fine but don't confuse everyone by wearing your red caps with your blue wordmark jerseys.

 

Right on. As much as I like the thick piping, the royal heavy homes sould only be worn with blue hats/accessories (along with a script closer to the throwback one), the red T hats should be worn with the red jerseys only, jumping on the powder blue bandwagon for a home alt feels incredibly stupid, they should at least wear the royal hats along the powder uniforms and go with a unified home script on it and the royal jerseys piping should be red/white/royal. Then it would be acceptable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a few elements that I like (Thicker sleeve stripes, tweak to number outlines), but there are also a lot of elements that are straight up BRUTAL (Addition of power blue to the blue jersey striping, using a script that matches absolutely nothing else in the set on just the home and home alts, switching to red hats on the home set, that TX hat). 

 

Overall, this is a downgrade. They were sort of messy before all of this but were only a few tweaks away from having a really nice, clean, classy looking set. Instead, they made a few really baffling changes and went from being sort of a mess to a total mess. 

 

 

And my goodness. That powder alt is GARBAGE. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

A loose observation that I'm not sure is a good thing but...

 

If most teams keep adding more and more retro inspired/throwback/fauxback looks then eventually instead of MLB in the 2020's looking like MLB in the 2020's then MLB in the 2020's is gonna look like MLB in the 1970's/80's etc etc. 

 

Like, if everyone goes throwback then when is it not a throwback anymore?

 

I feel like this is a puzzling conundrum that could bite us in the butts one day. Starting to feel like more teams should probably start looking more current... yes go with your best look but that doesn't have to just mean go back to your most nostalgic look every time either does it?

 

Totally understand what you're saying. 

 

I will say... if you look at college baseball uniforms of the past few years, a lot of these styles have been used. (Powder Blue, bigger sleeve trim, etc). Oh and who makes a lot of college baseball uniforms? Nike. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick mock-up of the Nolan Ryan era "Rangers" script in the style of the 2020 redesign. Also did one for the Sunday alt, with a double outline stead of a drop shadow.

 

Rangers-script-double-outlines-home.png

 

Rangers-script-double-outlines-home-ALT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.