MLB Changes 2020

kimball

I'm like... torn on these. The Rangers script looks good on the Home, but doesn't need the shadow on the Powder Blue.... and it also doesn't mesh at all with the rest of this set, which makes me wonder why they opted to bring it back/play homage to the Nolan-era script in the first place. That being said, every other move is a win, minus the red hat with the Home. The thicker stripes & the fixing of the numbers especially stand out as pluses. 

The old looks was a few teaks away from being really nice, and now the new look is a few tweaks away from being really nice. Also.... no to the powder blue. Just no. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s a change for changes sake imo. Like it’s not horrible but they should’ve just blown it all up. I like the new script but it doesn’t work with the other wordmarks, the T hat is still bad, the TX logo should’ve been TR, the powder blue should be dropped. It’s just a lot of meh to an already meh set

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

27 minutes ago, daveindc said:

Powder Blue For Powder Blue Sake

I mean...At least in the case of the Rangers, there's some precedent for them wearing powder blue. My problem is with the execution and the fact that they've chosen to make this powder blue set a home alt rather than a road one. 

I wonder if we'll get to the point where teams that historically never wore powder blue start incorporating in into their wardrobe. 

5 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

I mean...At least in the case of the Rangers, there's some precedent for them wearing powder blue. My problem is with the execution and the fact that they've chosen to make this powder blue set a home alt rather than a road one. 

I wonder if we'll get to the point where teams that historically never wore powder blue start incorporating in into their wardrobe. 

Wearing an all powder set at home is the epitome of stupidity and certainly Powder Blue For Powder Blue Sake like daveindc said. It definitely seems like powder is the new black in baseball so I'm pretty confident we'll see way too much of it...

1 minute ago, coco1997 said:

All those teams that wore Black For Black Sake can say the same thing in a few years.

I really like the update! I mean there are a few weird things that should be a little different. The powder blues should have a royal hat. I don't mind that it's a home alt, because it's a lighter color and really looks better as an alternate. 

The home jersey should never be wore with red hats and belts. To me the Rangers have always felt like a Blue and Red team, not a Red and Blue team. And the contrast is really bad with the blue heavy jerseys. 

The royal alt with a powder blue stripe is also dumb. Just keep that to an alt. Now instead of it being a base color like white or grey, it's an actual team color...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

13 minutes ago, daveindc said:

All those teams that wore Black For Black Sake can say the same thing in a few years.

The Rangers adopted powder blue in the third year of their existence. In my opinion that's different from all those BFBS teams in the late '90s who had been around for decades and never worn black before. 

1 hour ago, Brian E said:

I do want to echo this question. I usually don't do the the, "Hey, can someone recap? Who else is getting stuff?" comments, but I've dug around the thread and didn't see any kind of clear recap on what to expect. Who else should we be looking for new stuff from?

I'm usually the same way, but we've already seen four new sets and two (D-backs, Rangers) weren't totally expected.

1 minute ago, coco1997 said:

The Rangers adopted powder blue in the third year of their existence. In my opinion that's different from all those BFBS teams in the late '90s who had been around for decades and never worn black before. 

This is interesting. When teams had powder blue in the 70's and 80's, was it PBFPBS? Powder Blue is the New Black is the New Powder Blue?

5660299338_f9de1a078e_z.jpg

5659732257_11a2c8d0d4_z.jpg

55 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

And that was in the middle of the Powder Blue fad, after a handful of teams were already wearing it.

I don't mind an occasional throwback Powder Blue, but all these teams adopting Powder Blue uniforms all of a sudden just seems like even more of a fad than what it was back then.

I also wonder:  with the Rangers wearing the powder blue alt for all Sunday home games, what if some team actually does what teams used to do, and wears powder blue full-time on the road?  I know the natural answer for Sunday games in Arlington would be for the road team to wear a different-colored alternate jersey.  But, what if some team decides to not even bother with a road alt?  Powder blue vs. powder blue?

This actually isn't a rip on powder blue; look at most of my comments on the board -- I'm clearly a fan of the color on baseball uniforms.  This is more the way it's presented.  To me, powder blue *uniforms* are a *road* look.  When the Blue Jays had the full powder blue throwbacks at home, it bugged me.  Kinda the same for the current Phillies' Throwback Thursdays.  And, I certainly hope the Twins keep their new powder blues mostly to the road and rarely break them out at Target Field.  I'd make the same complaint if a team tried wearing all-grey at home.  Maybe the only exception in my opinion was the mix-and-match Pirates of the late-1970s, just because that was so different -- and perhaps because powder blue, like grey, has come to be associated with a road uniform look in baseball.

The new uniforms are awful.  Too much powder blue. The TX logo is terrible and why they still using the flag logo? They should've bring back their first logo well, and 70s font too. Not a fan of the current font. It's similar to Angels's font. 

Also, the new script is too thick. The Ryan-era script is much better. Why don't try like more Old Western like a cream uniform and the 70s font? These uniforms don't look Western to me. They supposed to look Western. It' just my opinion, but least,the home finally had "Rangers". 

Oh, I forgot one thing, they should've bring the star badge logo back, too.

FyVfBOy.png

Sc4Eo24.png

Ok, the script looks... bad. Like a bad knockoff throwback jersey. Maaaaaybe if it was just blue with a red outline, no white, on the homes, it wouldn't look so bad. May look alright, actually. The new treatment to the NOB and numbers are actually good. Match the cap well. I like them. The powder blues, jerseys AND hats... just... no. Best I can say about them. The new red hat with the TR, i predict, will be the first hat to go (think Boston hanging sox alt cap), if it ever makes a regular season game appearance at all. I'm not a big fan of thicker striping, but honestly, I'm neither here nor there on this. The powder blue stripe on each arm (cuz that's all it really is), again, no. And again, best I can say.

And for the love of all that is decent and good in this world, put a frickin front number on that home jersey!!!

And while you're at it, put one on the powder blue jersey, as well.

And then take that powder blue jersey and hat and throw it in a damn dumpster fire.

And then put a frickin front number on the damn dumpster fire just to drive home the point that that script needs a frickin front number!!!

But that's just my pair of Lincolns.

Though you didn't ask for them, here are a couple thoughts to share: 

• POWDER BLUE: I would like the powder blue a lot more if it were a straight-up throwback to the team's 70s-era uniforms, when they actually wore the color. But forcing it onto a design with this new script is really unnecessary.
  • CURSIVE SCRIPT: Speaking of that script, it seems like it's supposed to be reminiscent of the Nolan Ryan-era Rangers but it certainly seems like something entirely different. Maybe it's the contrast with the blocky, all-caps western font used on the other jerseys, but it rally stands out here, and not in a retro nostalgic way. 
  • PRIMARY COLORS: The thing I hate most about the Rangers is the red jersey. Just be a blue team with red accents. They look great as a primarily blue team. I'd have even been ok if they used red and powder as secondary colors to a primary royal blue. That would've been unique while also making the inclusion of powder blue seem less like the result of a focus group survey. 

Archived