MLB Changes 2020

kimball

30 minutes ago, hofflalu said:

This actually isn't a rip on powder blue; look at most of my comments on the board -- I'm clearly a fan of the color on baseball uniforms.  This is more the way it's presented.  To me, powder blue *uniforms* are a *road* look.  When the Blue Jays had the full powder blue throwbacks at home, it bugged me.  Kinda the same for the current Phillies' Throwback Thursdays.  And, I certainly hope the Twins keep their new powder blues mostly to the road and rarely break them out at Target Field.  I'd make the same complaint if a team tried wearing all-grey at home.  Maybe the only exception in my opinion was the mix-and-match Pirates of the late-1970s, just because that was so different -- and perhaps because powder blue, like grey, has come to be associated with a road uniform look in baseball.

I’m with you here. I love powder blue road uniforms, not as a full time thing, but as an alternate. Wearing them at home is just kinda weird to me. If you want to wear powder blue at home, it needs to be done with white pants (like Kansas City), otherwise it needs to stay as a road alternate. I can sort of let it slide if it’s a one-off, single game throwback night, but if it’s a repeated thing I’m not as tolerant of it. 

4 hours ago, kimball said:

That change happened under Adidas. 

Ehh, then what brand is that jersey Kobe is wearing here, i got both aut. adidas and reebok jerseys, NBA logo is on the front of both.

are you sure the logo is not photo shopped away from that image? 

2 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I mean...At least in the case of the Rangers, there's some precedent for them wearing powder blue. My problem is with the execution and the fact that they've chosen to make this powder blue set a home alt rather than a road one. 

I wonder if we'll get to the point where teams that historically never wore powder blue start incorporating in into their wardrobe. 

If there's one team that would look great with powder blue incorporated that never wore it, it would be the Rockies. Would look great with their purple and black. 

25 minutes ago, skip88 said:

Ehh, then what brand is that jersey Kobe is wearing here, i got both aut. adidas and reebok jerseys, NBA logo is on the front of both.

You probably have an authentic Adidas jersey before Adidas moved the logo to the back...c’mon dude think this through...

3 hours ago, jp1409 said:

These are bad, incredibly bad...

ff_3757331-7b70749eb1e2920d4973alt1_fullff_3757330-7b02ded99cbedd2173f6alt1_full

So, I don’t really hate the TX cap. It’s pointless and sort of wonky, but I think that kind of gives it some charm. It reminds me of the old High Desert Mavs alt cap, which is one of my favorites ever. Theses just something about the separate letters with a third element that I like. It’s hokey, but in a good way. 

spacer.png

But that powder blue blue cap is absolutely ATROCIOUS. It’s honestly one of the worst caps I’ve ever seen a pro team come out with. It reminds me of one of the Father’s Day/dick cancer awareness caps they do every year, but with absolutely none of the charm. That one I can’t imagine won’t be shelved very quickly.

This should really have its own thread.

Also, this team is so stupid.

1. the numbers are HORRRRRIBLE.  They made something already bad even worse.

2. home and road don't always need to match, but these are two completely-different styles.  Mismatching works better when it's like the Yankees, or if the road font is more plain, but they look like completely different teams.

3.  the TX isn't bad, it just doesn't make sense - there's just no need for it.

4.  WHY THE F DO THEY INSIST ON A RED CAP WITH THE HOME JERSEY.  It looked dumb when they wore red caps before, but it looks even worse now.

5.  LOL powder-blue cap.  

This might not be a disaster, but it's certainly not an upgrade, and there's so many objectively-bad decisions that were made here that it blows my mind. 

EDIT: just saw that there actually is a separate thread.  Assuming it'll be merged.

I’ve had Twitter exchanges with people about college football uniforms. There seems to be a school of thought there that number fonts specific to the school are really important for branding.  It’s also these people’s view that you have to have a special number font and once your team has one it is forbidden to go back to block.  This infuriates me. 

$334.99 for that white Rangers jersey.

$454 if you want a name and number on it. Have you completely lost your mind mlb and nike.

334 is more than enough,  then add 120 , GTFO, they have to fix that, even a jersey nut job like me is not paying that, Texas jerseys were already among the most expensive ones, adding $100+ on top of that is nonsense 

First off, can a mod or Admin either move the Rangers talk into the Pre-Existing thread?

Here is my take/fix on the new Rangers Uniforms.

The Caps.

• You only need the Red and Blue T caps. They look the best and they mesh well with all the Uniform sets
  • Why was the TX Logo necessary on a cap? I don't hate that logo, I'm more indifferent on it, but the cap is not the place for it. Leave it to rot on a jersey during the hot Arizona Marches of the Cactus League.
  • Just, no. Powder Blue caps never look good IMO. Just wear the standard Blue cap with the PB Uniform. If you want to enhance the "Throwback-ness" of it, then wear a Red-billed Blue cap.

The Jerseys.

• For all of them, having the front be the Double-Outline while the back is Drop-Shadow is odd. Either have them both be Double-Outline like before, or have them all be Drop-Shadowed like the BFBS Era. Its even more peculiar when the Powder Blue is Drop-Shadowed.
  • For the Home Whites, I really like them! I was, like most people, on the board of thinking that Texas should bring back "Rangers" on the Home Uni. Didn't expect the return of Cursive, personal looks better than the RANGERS pointy font. Blue Cap should always be worn with it. There isn't enough red on the White Uni. Maybe if it was a single outline of Red that was thicker, that might change my mind. (If it's a one-day-a-week thing with a Red Belt, go for it. Just not more than that)
  • On the Road Grays, no problems or things that I would like to see changed. Just stick to the Blue Cap.
  • For the Home Red Alternate Jersey, since they are HOME Alternates, it would make the most sense to have Rangers on it rather than TEXAS. Rather use the Rangers cursive script and not use the RANGERS wordmark (like '94-'08) in the TEXAS Font for consistency with the White Jersey. Wouldn't care for either the Blue or Red T cap. As I already stated, like the TX state cap.
  • For the Road Blue Alternate, kill the Powder Blue on the Sleeve Striping. Either have it be Red-White-(Blank) to keep consistency, Blue-White-Red to have all three colors visible, or Red-White-Red to avoid the R/W being "Floating Stripes." I see that it uses the Blue T Cap only, and keep it that way.
  • And last, but not least, the Powder Blue. I'm a Powder Blue fan in the sport of Baseball, under the mindset that if you used it, add an Alt. If you never, don't start. It shouldn't return to "Primary Away" status. If you want to wear it at Home, (which I strongly think you shouldn't), wear White Pants. For the Road, Powder Blue Pants are a must. And since Powder Blue SHOULD be an away thing, use TEXAS and not Rangers on the front. Don't do Gray Pants with it.  As already stated in "The Caps," either Royal Blue, or a Royal Blue with Red Bill, for an '80s vibe. 

Other Nitpicks and Comments/Reactions.

• Me personally, I really like the Rangers Red Cap. I would've liked to see a White Jersey that is primarily Red with the Red Cap, reminiscent of 1994-2000.
  • I don't get everybody's hate and complaining for the "Mismatching of Eras" with the return of a new Cursive Wordmark. It's the Primary Home Wordmark. It's no different than many other teams having Chest Logos or Scripts on their Homes, and having a Blocky, Standard, or Basic font on their Roads, or vice-versa.
  • Also, just realized this right now, does the Powder Blue Uniform (minus the cap) look like something the '90s/2K Expos would have worn if they kept PB with the Cursive set?

1 hour ago, skip88 said:

The NBA Logo was moved from the front to the back in the 2014-2015 season, under adidas in preparation for Jersey Advertisements coming and for everybody to get used to having Jerry West on the back before the 2017-2018 season, when Nike took over and Jersey Ads became the new hotness in the Association. Say what you want about David Stern, but at least he respected the culture of the game in terms of uniforms. No Manufacturer Logos and no Corporate Ads.

2 hours ago, skip88 said:

Kobe retired before Nike took over. The NBA logo was moved to the back while he was still playing, which means it happened under Adidas. Just a quick Google search gives a ton of images without the logo on the front:

FzvzNTJ.jpg

7J5ZHbn.jpg

This. This photo right here shows just how bad this is. Nothing looks good together at all. And this is just the home uniform. The script is just terrible with the double outline which over exaggerates the points on the red outline and seriously looked like someone typed out "Rangers" in a free script font, added a half-assed tail and outlined it twice. And the red hat with the mostly blue jersey... 

AND NO FRONT NUMBER!!!!

rangers-new-home-uniform-2020-590x435.jpg

This does not look like the home uniform of a Major League Baseball team.

6 minutes ago, McCall said:

This. This photo right here shows just how bad this is. Nothing looks good together at all. And this is just the home uniform. The script is just terrible with the double outline which over exaggerates the points on the red outline and seriously looked like someone typed out "Rangers" in a free script font, added a half-assed tail and outlined it twice. And the red hat with the mostly blue jersey... 

AND NO FRONT NUMBER!!!!

The biggest offense is the large intruding swoosh

On 12/2/2019 at 3:55 PM, TheOatsMustFlow said:

In regards to the lack of new MLB merchandise, I think this is more so a Fanatics thing than any other reason. Also a reminder, Fanatics has created a monopoly and is in control of all of the MLB, NFL, NBA, & NHL online retail shops. This includes lids.com. As a passive observer, their marketing of new merchandise seems to be really really poor, there also seems to be an overall decrease of new releases of products compared to years past.

Also, I believe Nike reached a deal with Fanatics to have them basically take over all of their online Team Gear retailing. That would explain the lack of team merch on Nike's website.

Fanatics generally sucks and their website is atrocious. Its a real shame that it's pretty much everywhere.

Ugh, can't stand Fanatics. Bought two Marlins shirts off there last year and after two washes the logos had already rubbed off. Main reason I stick to what I can find in the local stores or when I go to a game. 

22 minutes ago, McCall said:

AND NO FRONT NUMBER!!!!

It's not just going to be the Red Cap. They will be going with the Red or Blue Cap with the Home Whites like they already did from 2009-2019. They will also change the belt color to go along with it. Let's hope its 99% the Blue Cap.