MLB Changes 2020

kimball

I find jersey apparel for fans to be incredibly frustrating. On one hand, you have the authentics which are insanely expensive, even before recent price hikes. Worst of all, the tail on the backside looks utterly ridiculous and I can't imagine any fan going to the ballpark wanting to sport that look even if it proves to everyone that they are wearing authentic gear. So even if you get passed the price tag, authentics really aren't wearable and fashion-friendly.

On the other hand, the replica jerseys are pretty terrible. People complain about the lack of sleeve patches on those, but for me the greatest problem is the flimsiness of the Cool Base material and the screen printed on wordmark and numbers. I understand that it's supposed to be more comfortable/breathable especially in warm weather, but it doesn't feel like a jersey at all. These "jerseys" are more like Cool Dri workout shirts constructed to look like jerseys. At the very least have numbers and wordmarks with real patch material that could actually survive a round in the washing machine.

Throw into the mix the fact that I hate the swoosh (never been a fan of Nike in general) and detest the latest Marlins' rebranding, so I won't be buying a jersey, either replica or authentic, for the foreseeable future.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The panels don’t bother me on most jerseys. The only ones it does are the pinstripe ones. I don’t understand why they can’t print the pinstripes onto the panels and match them to the rest of the jersey especially on the side panels that don’t even need to match up to anything.

2 hours ago, St Louis Cardinals said:

The panel is there because its a lighter and more breathable material.  As a baseball player that back panel is usually where you sweat the most.  It makes a lot of sense for the players that majestic added that panel.  It also makes sense that it is on fan authentics, because when people buy authentic jerseys they want exactly what the player's wear.  I get that it's ugly but it doesn't really make sense to complain about it.

you forgot that it makes players .004% faster on the ice.  :rolleyes:

I’ve no doubt that Majestic came up with a rationale.  Just as I’ve no doubt that the rationale is 75% bullpuckey. 😁

1 hour ago, dont care said:

The panels don’t bother me on most jerseys. The only ones it does are the pinstripe ones. I don’t understand why they can’t print the pinstripes onto the panels and match them to the rest of the jersey especially on the side panels that don’t even need to match up to anything.

Because if they did, then how would you know it’s authentic? 😉

1 minute ago, DiePerske said:

I hate the Yankees. 

but I miss the days the Yankees would have refused to put the swoosh on their jersey. Or the ne flag on the hats. And any of the speciality jerseys. 

Wish they still did, and that others would have followed suit. 

What makes you think this? The Yankees abstaining from the TATC promotion did not stop the other teams. They don’t speak for the league. 

33 minutes ago, Brandon9485 said:

What makes you think this? The Yankees abstaining from the TATC promotion did not stop the other teams. They don’t speak for the league. 

Because I'm a firm believer that the manufacturer's mark has NO business being on a jersey. Also, I think the holiday jerseys are idiotic and should not be worn on field.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

27 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

Because I'm a firm believer that the manufacturer's mark has NO business being on a jersey. Also, I think the holiday jerseys are idiotic and should not be worn on field.

It’s fine to think this, but it has nothing to do with the Yankees. 

It's NOT a manufacturer's mark.  It's an advertisement paid for by a supplier. I'm really not sure why that's hard to understand.  No different than when Reebok put their logo on Ripon jerseys, or when players had to put tape over the logos on their shoes and draw swooshes or three stripes on with marker.

I don't blame Nike one bit for all of this, but it's a disgrace.  The front of the jersey is to represent the team's brand, and now there's a completely unrelated brand infringing on that.  Piss on the teams for not valuing (or, in some cases, even establishing) their brands, and double-piss on the Yankees for capitulating, and now being "just another team".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, DiePerske said:

I hate the Yankees. 

but I miss the days the Yankees would have refused to put the swoosh on their jersey. Or the ne flag on the hats. And any of the speciality jerseys. 

Wish they still did, and that others would have followed suit. 

It's a Nike logo, not a massive overhaul of the jerseys. Putting the swoosh on the jersey doesn't ruin the sanctity of the Yankees' timeless uniforms.

Get over it.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

8 minutes ago, Kevin W. said:

It's a Nike logo, not a massive overhaul of the jerseys. Putting the swoosh on the jersey doesn't ruin the sanctity of the Yankees' timeless uniforms.

Yes - it absolutely does.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Yes - it absolutely does.

Did they change the overall design of the jerseys? No.

Did they take the pinstripes off of the home jersey? No.

Did they put names on the back of the jerseys? No.

Did they change the hat? No.

I rest my case.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

30 minutes ago, Kevin W. said:

I rest my case.

They literally added another company's logo on the chest opposite of their iconic logo.  That's a pretty big deal.  There are now two logos rather than one.  The sacred NY is no longer the focal point of the uniform - it's forced to compete for attention with some other company's logo.

15 minutes ago, McCall said:

So essentially this?

Image result for cleveland cavaliers

I’d be down for an Indians redesign with these colors. I’d make gold a little less prominent, but overall I’d love to see them try navy/maroon/gold

I don't think there's any competition between the Yankees logo and the Nike logo, nor am I confused as to what the focal point of the jersey is.

New-York-Yankees-New-Nike-Jersey-2020-59

I don't really have a problem with the manufacturer's mark (or whatever we're calling it here) on jerseys, though I would much prefer the Nike logo to be on the sleeve.

I swear some people are seeing the jerseys like this.

ELYkhJpWoAAwYMA.jpg

IEI5Tg1.png

41 minutes ago, Kevin W. said:

I rest my case.

Did they blemish an otherwise clean, iconic look that has persisted for over 80 years? Yes.

For the first time in MLB history, the Yankees jerseys are blatantly advertising a multinational corporation as much as the team itself. Now whenever you look at their home pinstripes uniform, it almost screams NIKE as much as it does YANKEES. Don't even try to deny it, because that's precisely why Nike is paying big bucks for this and why the spineless Manfred is gleefully cashing their checks.

The overall design of the jersey didn't change, but what it communicates absolutely has.

11 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

I don't think there's any competition between the Yankees logo and the Nike logo, nor am I confused as to what the focal point of the jersey is.

I don't really have a problem with the manufacturer's mark (or whatever we're calling it here) on jerseys, though I would much prefer the Nike logo to be on the sleeve.

I swear some people are seeing the jerseys like this.

People on this board are attentive to the smallest of details, which is understandable. I think it's certainly reasonable for many of us to find that the swoosh competes with the Yankees logo. It absolutely does for me; I actually find the logo to be more obtrusive on the Yankees, Cubs, and Tigers jerseys than I do for most of the teams with wordmarks.

Archived