MLB Changes 2020

kimball

20 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

it almost screams NIKE as much as it does YANKEES.

It absolutely does not. The size of the two logos isn't even close to the same and guess what? Sports uniforms have had manufacturers' marks on them for decades. Everyone else has gotten over it.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/14/2019 at 1:12 PM, Jungle Jim said:

Someone (in the comments following the article) suggested using a seam ripper to remove the Nike logo from the new jerseys.  That would be fine for any jersey that existed prior to 2020, but for the new ones (Padres, Brewers, Rangers, etc.), it would be the wrong thing to do.  

I dislike the Nike logo being where it is, as much as anyone.  But love it or hate it, the only way the new 2020 jerseys will ever take the field is with that logo on them.  If you remove it, you create a jersey in a form that never existed, and that, to me, is worse than the swoosh.  Remove the swoosh and it ceases to be authentic.

I see both sides. 

I've used a seam ripper on the flag on new era on field caps. But not with new style caps that came out in 2017-now. If it's seen in a game with a flag, the purist in me wants it to be that way too.  But some Cooperstown replicas or a basic NY Yankees on field, there's no reason not to take it off. If the design has stayed the same, I'm better off buying a older model.

With your 2020 new design Brewers or Padres caps, I wouldn't Take the flag off. But if I'm rebuying a Yankees cap or Mets cap, I'd think about taking the flag off. 

I don't buy NBA jerseys anymore but the same would hold with the corporate advertisments. I don't want the jerseys that have them removed. I would want what the players wear. 

6 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

I find jersey apparel for fans to be incredibly frustrating. On one hand, you have the authentics which are insanely expensive, even before recent price hikes. Worst of all, the tail on the backside looks utterly ridiculous and I can't imagine any fan going to the ballpark wanting to sport that look even if it proves to everyone that they are wearing authentic gear. So even if you get passed the price tag, authentics really aren't wearable and fashion-friendly.

On the other hand, the replica jerseys are pretty terrible. People complain about the lack of sleeve patches on those, but for me the greatest problem is the flimsiness of the Cool Base material and the screen printed on wordmark and numbers. I understand that it's supposed to be more comfortable/breathable especially in warm weather, but it doesn't feel like a jersey at all. These "jerseys" are more like Cool Dri workout shirts constructed to look like jerseys. At the very least have numbers and wordmarks with real patch material that could actually survive a round in the washing machine.

Throw into the mix the fact that I hate the swoosh (never been a fan of Nike in general) and detest the latest Marlins' rebranding, so I won't be buying a jersey, either replica or authentic, for the foreseeable future.

The tail is only a big deal for pinstriped jerseys because the pinstripes stop at the tail and that part is ugly.  

I own a Yelich authentic jersey (last gen's home white) and I got it because I wanted a nicer, better fitting jersey that was very well-made with all the patches as well.  And tbh, nobody noticed anything different about the jersey whenever I wore it, and I wore it to baseball games and whenever I went out to watch games on TV.  

Now, if Nike made EVERY pinstripe jersey like the new Yankees pinstripe jersey, the tail would become a 100% non-issue.

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

11 minutes ago, itsmb8 said:

This isnt a hate for manufacturer logos on uniforms, its a hate for nike.  whats so different about nike on the chest vs majestic on the sleeve?  its still a manufacturer mark on a jersey.

you’re wrong on both counts. Very wrong. 

you’re bolding only makes it worse. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

36 minutes ago, itsmb8 said:

This isnt a hate for manufacturer logos on uniforms, its a hate for nike.  whats so different about nike on the chest vs majestic on the sleeve?  its still a manufacturer mark on a jersey.

If there wasn’t a difference between putting it on the front and putting it on the sleeve, Nike wouldn’t be trying so desperately to put it on the front of NFL jerseys. 

40 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

And that is why companies pay money to put their logo on shirts. 

Yes, it absolutely works!  Back in the 80s, Nestle Crunch, Baby Ruth, and Butterfinger sponsored stadium giveaways for Reds home games.  I ran across some of that stuff while going through a storage area a few months ago, and there were those logos, staring back at me 35 years later.  Don't think I didn't remember it the next time I was in the candy aisle at the store.

Also, Reds announcer Marty Brennaman read a canned promo for those giveaway days during the radio broadcasts. I don't remember which seasons, how many seasons, or how many games per season those ran, but I do remember them.  The last words of that promo were "...sponsored by Baby Ruth and Butterfinger."  Again, sometime when I'm in the candy aisle, I can still hear Marty's voice, reciting those words that I heard over and over, so many summers ago.  (No, I don't live in the candy aisle, but I do have kids.  :) )

At the risk of rambling, I'll also add that commercials for products that I saw on TV as a kid still influence me as an adult shopper.  Some of those now-defunct jingles still resonate in my mind as I steer my cart around the store and make buying decisions.

2 hours ago, McCall said:

So essentially this?

Close, but no athletic gold, and maybe a little more of a true red than wine, which is a little bluish. I'm undecided as to whether cream should be the base at home, I go back and forth but lean slightly toward plain old white.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

35 minutes ago, joekono said:

Bottom line is that Nike just could've put it on the sleeve. Yes Nike we all now what the "swoosh" looks like. Not rocket science here. 

Blame MLB for that one. They had already changed the placement when negotiating with under Armour and had their deal. When they dropped out Nike came in and MLB decided to not change it back because they had already opened the can of worms with UA.

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

And that is why companies pay money to put their logo on shirts. 

True, kinda. The very act of adding all this crap has lost me as a true valid consumer of current items.  It's a slippery slope. I'm not Buying many, if any, of these jerseys or items. Maybe someone somewhere is paying a higher price. 

I laugh at new era charging $39.99 for a cap that is now made overseas with yucky greasy polyester. Sales are down across the board. The purist who wants true authentics will pay a higher price, but there’s less of them than ever before. Many regular fans are fine with the fanatics branded jerseys. Dad caps and 3930s/ low profiles are more popular than the 5950s.   

What would’ve been easy buys for a new design on fields, is now something I think twice on. I own 4 on field caps with flags on the side. I own maybe 10x as many that do not.  Had these new designs been flag-less, 500% more buys from me. 

The flag on caps, the nike swoosh on Nike jerseys, and the corporate branding is enough for me to stay away. Theyve lost me as a fan who wants authentics with ugly design choices. But if I were a buyer, I would want those attributes. 

I guess what I’m saying is, whoever is left buying authentic items, they will buy anything. The fact they lost me as a buyer makes their decision making questionable. 

The Nike logo isn’t that bad, it’s location is awkward and it should definitely go on the sleeve, this isn’t a soccer kit, which is usually balanced out by the crest, and it isn’t an nba jersey that has no sleeves so the swoosh cuddles up right next to the sleeve hole stripes (and is also balanced out by the ads). It’s a baseball jersey and it’s stranded out there all by itself, drawing attention to itself, which takes attention away from the important timeless parts of some baseball jerseys. But is it as awful as some people are making it out to be, not at all. I remember when the brewers set came out I completely glossed over it, and forgot it was there before i even saw it. So yes while it’s not the best thing, it’s easily minuscule and forgettable and the same time and takes nothing away from the jerseys.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

I'm not sure I can reconcile these two statements:

13 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

It’s a baseball jersey and (the swoosh is) stranded out there all by itself, drawing attention to itself, which takes attention away from the important timeless parts of some baseball jerseys.

13 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

it’s easily minuscule and forgettable and the same time and takes nothing away from the jerseys.

9 minutes ago, BigEd76 said:

From the upcoming Wheeler/Gregorius press conference. A silver trim on the Phils letters?

EL63kHcWsAYEybF?format=jpg&name=360x360

I’m guessing that’s just a white outline. The lighting is just throwing it off making it look silver-ish

32 minutes ago, BigEd76 said:

From the upcoming Wheeler/Gregorius press conference. A silver trim on the Phils letters?

EL63kHcWsAYEybF?format=jpg&name=360x360

Unless you also think the Phillies will be rocking a magenta jersey, I really wouldn't put too much stock in the colors of this photo.

Could just be the old white outline with a trick of the light.  I've always loved that they separate the wordmark from the pinstripes with a white outline.

bryce-harper-philadelphia-phillies.jpg

Such a simple move, but really makes the wordmark pop.  Keeps the red from bleeding into the pinstripes.  I've always thought that any team with complicated trim or wordmark should do this.  The Braves have both, and their muddy wordmarks could really benefit from a little separation.

1180091193.jpeg&w=710&h=400&c=cc1158665242.jpeg&w=710&h=400&c=cc

Archived