MLB Changes 2020

kimball

I think it’s worth remembering though that the Angels use their geographic moniker less than almost any other team — I recall seeing here one t-shirt template where every other team used their city but the Angels.

it’s kinda like even the team themselves can’t decide or thinks there’s no perfect solution.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Digby said:

I think it’s worth remembering though that the Angels use their geographic moniker less than almost any other team — I recall seeing here one t-shirt template where every other team used their city but the Angels.

it’s kinda like even the team themselves can’t decide or thinks there’s no perfect solution.

Yea they refer to it as "Angels Baseball" I think.

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

No, they don’t.

Using the suburb’s name cost them money and made them seem parochial.  Taking the larger city’s name allows them to sell the club as regional.

There are very few sub-sections of a larger metropolis that could support an MLB identity.  In the Southland, I think Hollywood is really the only one.

4 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

No, they don’t.

Using the suburb’s name cost them money and made them seem parochial.  Taking the larger city’s name allows them to sell the club as regional.

Except it alienated people where they play. It’s hardly “parochial.” The Ducks don’t have this problem. 

There are very few sub-sections of a larger metropolis that could support an MLB identity.  In the Southland, I think Hollywood is really the only one.

Again, Anaheim Ducks. OC/Anaheim is legitimate. 

Also, no. MLB isn’t different enough from NHL to make that trash argument.

15 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Again, Anaheim Ducks. OC/Anaheim is legitimate. 

Also, no. MLB isn’t different enough from NHL to make that trash argument.

The Angels disagree with you.  Your argument is the trashy one. 😛

Seriously, though, last year MLB’s total revenues were more than twice that of the NHL.  They have two very separate models.  

I know Anaheim likes to pretend it’s not a suburb, that it is somehow totally separate, distinct and independent from the metropolis next door.  But wishes do not reality make. 

1 minute ago, dont care said:

Then what did you mean, NFL is the exception not the rule for this.

Not sure why you're questioning an exchange that you aren't a part of, but it was in response to this, especially the all-caps part.  What I meant was "that's not true, and here's an example."  Whether an exception or not is irrelevant. 

15 hours ago, itsmb8 said:

I just think with the swoosh its different because Nike puts the swoosh in that specific spot on EVERYTHING

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Not sure why you're questioning an exchange that you aren't a part of, but it was in response to this, especially the all-caps part.  What I meant was "that's not true, and here's an example."  Whether an exception or not is irrelevant. 

Because it is a public forum all can see and reply to. Anyways it’s not Nike’s fault it’s on the sleeve but the NFL rules, if they were allowed to the would put it on the front like everything else. 

Just now, dont care said:

Because it is a public forum all can see and reply to. Anyways it’s not Nike’s fault it’s on the sleeve but the NFL rules, if they were allowed to the would put it on the front like everything else. 

I'm really not sure what your point is.  You're making statements that have nothing to do with the discussion you're referencing.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

11 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

The Angels disagree with you.  Your argument is the trashy one. 😛

Well then they’re in the wrong. 😜

Seriously, though, last year MLB’s total revenues were more than twice that of the NHL.  They have two very separate models.  

So, they’re still one of the Big Four. They’re still a major league. Revenue shouldn’t matter in counting Anaheim.

I know Anaheim likes to pretend it’s not a suburb, that it is somehow totally separate, distinct and independent from the metropolis next door.  But wishes do not reality make. 

Except they’re kind of not at this point? Why don’t you listen to people who are from the area and have lived there in the past 20 years?

Anaheim is legitimate as a major league name and the Angels were in the wrong to drop it.

No longer a suburb?  Yeah, they still are.  “Satellite city”, if you prefer. I mean “suburb” in the descriptive sense, not in any way perjorative.  Hell, the whole Southland is a series of suburbs. 😁

I appreciate that Anaheim’s desire is less steeped in racism than it was in the old Orange Curtain days, and that is a wonderful thing.  Love the local pride.  But LA casts a very wide shadow, and OC would not be OC without LA.

I would have said the exact same thing about Long Beach, if they had moved there.  Satellite city. And Long Beach is actually bigger than Anaheim, if I’m not mistaken. 

Everytime the Los Angeles/California/Anaheim debate comes up, it affirms my opinion that the club's name from the start should have been the LA Stars.  It's kind of perplexing that it wasn't, considering Gene Autry had an ownership stake in the Hollywood Stars before he had one in the MLB Angels.  You could even argue that by choosing to pay tribute to only one of the city's PCL clubs giftwrapped the Stars' fan base to the Dodgers (which, as we've seen in the 60 years since, is a very Angels thing to do). 

Now they're stuck with a name that refers to a city they haven't actually played in since their earliest days.  So the debate will never end.

Just now, NicDB said:

Now they're stuck with a name that refers to a city they haven't actually played in since their earliest days.

Yeah, but that’s kind of “sports”, right?  Every major league has at least one team playing outside the strict boundaries of the city for which it is named. 

So long as they’re in the Los Angeles metropolitan area, they have as much claim to the name as anybody. 

7 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

No longer a suburb?  Yeah, they still are.  “Satellite city”, if you prefer. I mean “suburb” in the descriptive sense, not in any way perjorative.  Hell, the whole Southland is a series of suburbs. 😁

Satellite county, with a separate identity that developed over time. It’s not quite the same as a “suburb” like East Rutherford, Cobb County, or Lanover.

I appreciate that Anaheim’s desire is less steeped in racism than it was in the old Orange Curtain days, and that is a wonderful thing.  Love the local pride.  But LA casts a very wide shadow, and OC would not be OC without LA.

But that’s in the past. OC has enough of its own identity to work as a separate identity, like SF and Oakland or New York and New Jersey. Heck, one can make the argument that the entire state of New Jersey is a “satellite city” of either New York or Philadelphia.

I would have said the exact same thing about Long Beach, if they had moved there.  Satellite city. And Long Beach is actually bigger than Anaheim, if I’m not mistaken. 

Except Long Beach doesn’t have an equivalent of the Orange Curtain. So that comparison doesn’t work.

6 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Yeah, but that’s kind of “sports”, right?  Every major league has at least one team playing outside the strict boundaries of the city for which it is named. 

So long as they’re in the Los Angeles metropolitan area, they have as much claim to the name as anybody. 

If you have to share a market with the Dodgers, the last thing you should do is cede "Los Angeles" to them. You're just making yourself look smaller. "California Angels" might be ok though. 

Archived