MLB Changes 2020

kimball

I get how the authenticity and quality of a jersey can make one willing to spend a premium.  On the other hand I recall a White Sox jersey day once in the early 70's. It was a Dick Allen red pinstripe and nothing more than a cheap printed T shirt - yet it was the favorite jersey of any I had owned.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

7 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

I’ll never buy a retail authentic, but over the past few years I’ve purchased two team issue authentic Rays jerseys ( one road gray, with number 55 no name and one light blue spring training alternate) from offseason fanfests for a combined $160.

Same here.  I am so cheap I usuallys scower ebay till I find a jersey I want.  For example for Christmas I got a vapor template Khalil Mack Bears jersey for 70 bucks with shipping and an adidas authentic P. Kane blackhawks jersey for 55 dollars including shipping.  If you wait it out there is always someone selling jerseys brand new and not fake on ebay.  Thankfully my two jerseys turned out to be the real deal.  

6 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

You're comparing sports jerseys to art - and that's fair.  Can't disagree with that.  I guess it's just a personal thing - I can't imagine spending that much on something that's just going to sit in a closet, or spending that much on something I'd wear and expose to sweat and stains, or framing it on a wall, which (again, just my humble opinion) I find akin to a little kid with one of those old SI posters taped to his wall.  YMMV, and that's cool. 

A $400 shirt is, IMO, the exact kind of 'luxury' that should have some kind of increased luxury tax on, since if one can afford that much for a shirt, one should theoretically also be able to afford contributing $ to the theoretic greater good.

I completely understand this perspective.

I have bought a few authentic jerseys over the years and also have a fair amount of replicas and Mitchell & Ness throwbacks. Admittedly, I rarely wear them. With the exception of hockey sweaters, which are quite comfortable, and soccer jerseys, which aren't that different in shape from a typical t-shirt, most sports jerseys just don't look good as casual wear.  A lot of this, in my opinion, is because I don't care much for tucking in shirts when I don't have to, and almost all sports jerseys (again, outside of hockey and soccer) are meant to be tucked into a uniform. The evolution of more visually appealing replica jerseys has helped with this somewhat (It's now possible, for example, to buy an NFL jersey that doesn't double as a human drape). NBA jerseys, though, are completely useless to the layman.

Yet, for some reason, I still covet jerseys, particularly M&N throwbacks. (I own a Kent Hrbek M&N throwback that sits on me like a powder blue tarp, but man do I love it.) There's something oddly comforting about going into my closet and seeing them there, like my own personal museum for my benefit.

Call me a weirdo. I'll own it. 

I own a mix of all of them.

Soccer jerseys are my most worn jerseys. All of them replicas, and all are, as @gosioux76 has said, similar to wearing a tee shirt. Only jersey I wear out of season.

Honestly? I dont think baseball jerseys are that weird to wear in general. While I don't wear them as much, they're not terribly offputting and I wear them during the season a fair amount, but rarely if ever out of season.

NFL jerseys are the same deal as soccer honestly. The nike ones(the middle level) are good to wear. Not the same as a tee shirt, so less willing to wear but still the same principle.

I love hockey jerseys, but the only reason i dont wear them as often as baseball is because of the long sleeves. 

NBA? I like them, but are the only one I dont wear to work because well tank top. Not exactly(even being generous here) the most professional, even if worn over a hoody(only way I'll wear one).

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

9 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

A $400 shirt is, IMO, the exact kind of 'luxury' that should have some kind of increased luxury tax on, since if one can afford that much for a shirt, one should theoretically also be able to afford contributing $ to the theoretic greater good.

This would be horribly difficult to do...I could easily argue that at $285 or $200 it deserves a luxury tax. An authentic jersey is a luxury at any price. 

If I pay $400 for four lower end jerseys on separate transactions, I’d avoid the luxury tax...so it’s not really about if or how I can afford a $400 purchase. 

Spending $400 on one purchase really isn’t an indication of crazy wealth. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

There is no purchase that indicates crazy wealth.  People spend all kinds of crazy money that they can't really afford to on absolute nonsense.  Regardless, spending $400 on a shirt (or, if you're The Rock, $500) is an indication that you can pay a tax.  And if you can't... then maybe you shouldn't be spending $400 on a shirt.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

14 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

There is no purchase that indicates crazy wealth.  People spend all kinds of crazy money that they can't really afford to on absolute nonsense.  Regardless, spending $400 on a shirt (or, if you're The Rock, $500) is an indication that you can pay a tax.  And if you can't... then maybe you shouldn't be spending $400 on a shirt.

I’d love to see your database of which purchases deserve an extra luxury tax and which don’t based on your subjective thresholds. 

Subjective observations really don’t make good tax laws. 

Spending $130 for a non authentic Fanatics jersey or $150 for Nike football shirt also seem subject to a luxury tax don’t they?

Aren’t I already paying more in aggregate sales taxes when I pay something that costs $400 as compared to something that costs $100?

2 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I’d love to see your database of which purchases deserve an extra luxury tax and which don’t. 

Subjective observations really don’t make good tax laws. 

Let's just be clear here - are you saying that a $400 shirt is not a luxury item?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

8 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Let's just be clear here - are you saying that a $400 shirt is not a luxury item?

You're on the internet. Please provide your luxury tax payment to your favorite local charity (not begun at home).

[/sarcasm][/notreally]

It's where I sit.

15 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Spending $400 on one purchase really isn’t an indication of crazy wealth. 

No, just being crazy! 😄

"Luxury" depends on how much money you have.  A $35 t-shirt is a luxury for me.  My wife complained because I got a $20 bootleg vice jersey that hangs in the closet.

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

On 12/26/2019 at 7:24 AM, Jungle Jim said:

Surely you're aware that people own and display things without fulfilling their utilitarian purpose.  Authentic NFL and MLB helmets?  MLB cap collections that number in the hundreds?  Commemorative and/or game-used bats and balls? Swords that hang on the wall?  Fine china in cabinets that will never be soiled by food or drink?  Vintage toys that will never be opened and played with by a child?

Some people just like to own things and appreciate them for their aesthetic value.

For the record, I wouldn't plunk down hundreds of dollars for a jersey that may eventually be obsolete, but if someone wants to, have at it.  My initial comments were that, IF someone is going to spend $350, the motivation would surely (?) be authenticity, and removing the Nike swoosh from jerseys that will never exist without it (2020 Brewers, Padres, Rangers) didn't make sense, if authenticity and accuracy are the goals.  If authenticity and accuracy aren't the motivation, then perhaps buy a replica and save a couple hundred.  

Someone brought up "supporting the team", so I simply countered that that may not be the incentive.  They may just want it to "have", not because they have delusions about being a pro athlete, no more than the guy with the sword on his wall thinks he's a ninja.

Some people just like to own things and appreciate them for their aesthetic value.

exactly, that is why i have many NHL jerseys, from before the Addias takeover since no authentics are now available. 

And also many MLB jerseys..

They have always  been also overprized, but this latest price hike will force me to stop, if they dont come to their senses.

Around 300 = hmm, okay perhaps..... around 400 = No,  that would be stupid, because it's same jersey as last season. Now you are taking  me/us for a fool.

On 12/27/2019 at 11:39 AM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

No, just being crazy! 😄

"Luxury" depends on how much money you have.  A $35 t-shirt is a luxury for me.  My wife complained because I got a $20 bootleg vice jersey that hangs in the closet.

She should because you are buying an illegal stolen product.

I don't know what the low threshold for 'luxury' is, but I feel safe in saying that $400 is excessive regardless of your wealth.

The Rock used to brag about wearing $500 shirts.  I'd've taxed him 25% on those - and I know who I'd send to collect.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I don't know what the low threshold for 'luxury' is, but I feel safe in saying that $400 is excessive regardless of your wealth.

The Rock used to brag about wearing $500 shirts.  I'd've taxed him 25% on those - and I know who I'd send to collect.

Repo man?

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Something tells me you’d have negative revenue if you’re sending dudes to collect $125 from The Rock, no matter how many shirts he bought. 

26 minutes ago, dont care said:

Repo man?

vkwall.jpg

24 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Something tells me you’d have negative revenue if you’re sending dudes to collect $125 from The Rock, no matter how many shirts he bought. 

Possibly - so I'll add an extra 1% to the tax - but only for MLB jerseys - to make up the lost revenue.  Call it the "Rock Tax".

Archived