MLB Changes 2020

kimball

Nike has already had baseball merchandise for years. If anything, high priced Authentics create a premium tier for apparel, but also act as vehicle for marketing the lower prices items that may have a higher sales volume. Does Nike even care if that many people buy an authentic jersey if it means they are influenced to buy everyone in their family a Nike t-shirt instead? Sure it’s less revenue, but it equals more units sold. That could be a win-win for Nike and MLB. 

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Do we have actual evidence of that?

Yes - from the Falcons themselves.  I went back and put some pictures in the original post - the promotion was so successful they doubled down and lowered prices a second time.

While no MLB team ever releases raw data (you know that Goodell is trying to find a way to revoke that Packers stock!), we have this from Forbes:

While the team saw direct monetary benefits from this innovative approach to food and beverages (in the form of a 16% increase in fan spending on F&B despite a 50% price reduction compared with their last season in the Georgia Dome), McKay identified five other tangential strategic benefits that were a byproduct of the Fan-First Pricing. 

Lots of stuff about fan experience ratings, which are nice but not money, and then we get to this:

4. Because fans were in the building earlier to take advantage of cheaper food and beverage, they spent more on merchandise. According to McCay, merchandise sales were 90% higher in 2017 than in 2016.

Since people were entering the building earlier to take advantage of cheaper F&B, they had more time to buy merchandise. And psychologically, they might have felt they had greater overall purchasing power, thereby inducing an income effect that contributed to increases in merchandise sales.

And the fact the Falcons' 2017 merch sales were 90% higher than the year in which the team reached the Super Bowl is further evidence of the power of Fan-First Pricing.

So the Falcons, with their insider knowledge, believe that their experiment was a massive success.  They made more money overall by reducing concession prices.

11 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Also - you can state your opinion of what MLB's financial policies are (more money from fewer people) and declare it to be true, but is it true?  Maybe it is more money from more revenue streams, to the point that historical financial concerns (i.e., attendance) are less relevant.

We don't know.  In the absence of a Green Bay Packers of baseball, we'll never actually see the internal data of a baseball club.  Of course this is all my opinion - virtually everything on the board is.  But MLB doesn't seem all that concerned about dropping attendance, TV ratings, approval, and the like.  Those "more revenue streams" seem to largely keep hitting the same people; maybe the same people who don't buy bleacher tickets now do buy MLB.tv or a YouTube subscription.  We do know that prices for virtually everything keep climbing, though.  So the business model doesn't really seem all that complicated to figure out.

15 minutes ago, Brandon9485 said:

I just think there is an expectation that Nike you should do that now because this board has expressed their outrage to the new sticker price. 

I don't think anybody here believes that Nike gives a good godsdamn what we think. :D 

15 minutes ago, Brandon9485 said:

In reality Nike probably won’t make that call for several months after sales figures are collected during the season. We are simply in the data collection phase right now. 

Well, yeah.  That's why we say things like "we'll see".  

This is why I am not a successful business person.

I'd think that a lower jersey price would be made up for in volume.  I'd think that lower game concession prices would not be made up for in value (due to "captive audience").

Wrong (apparently) and wrong.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

In fairness, a lot of people thought Blank was going to be proven wrong.  And even now, there are stadium operators who believe "that model may work in Atlanta, but it would never work here".   I've heard it from more than one.

Guess the Yankees are counting on their chicken buckets being viewed as "premium tier" concessions.  😛 

Found this on Twitter - perhaps the new ST/BP hat for the Phillies. Can't make out the logo on the front (I can see the bell, but can't tell what's also included). Wordmark on the side is kind of odd, as a ST logo on the right side is probably expected. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

4 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Found this on Twitter - perhaps the new ST/BP hat for the Phillies. Can't make out the logo on the front (I can see the bell, but can't tell what's also included). Wordmark on the side is kind of odd, as a ST logo on the right side is probably expected. 

8rGcJ3U.png

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

On 1/13/2020 at 11:09 AM, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

With the light blue jersey overload going on, I wonder if there is a chance these Toronto jerseys are navy blue with light blue letting and accents.  Would be a little odd with the Rays in their division though.

blue-jays-new-blue-new-logo-2020.png

So many teams getting new light blue jerseys while the Marlins' blue is stuck in ST. 🙄

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

I went to the Diamondbacks stadium store and noticed this new hat in the section with the other on field hats. I'm wondering if this is the new Spring Training hats for 2020. Different material and a new rubberized logo. Another photo below with it compared to last years Spring Training hats. No idea if this is true, just speculation. But, if these were the new sprig training hats then there is a possibility that the DIamondbacks will introduce new Spring Training uniforms to match considering they've just been using their red jersey to match the red/black/sand color scheme. Or they could just wear their current alternate white/teal uniforms to go with the hat.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Another interesting thing that I found at the Diamondbacks Stadium Shop was their new alternate black A logo uniform. Every year since 1998 (I believe) they've used this logo on their uniforms with different layers of twill to create the logo. This year with the Nike takeover its something different, even though all of the material and uniform construction remains the same as the Majestic style as before. Its now a single layer of twill with the logo embroidered on. Kind of interesting. Not a fan of it, I think it makes it look cheaper or less professional but whatever.

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

53 minutes ago, TheOatsMustFlow said:

I went to the Diamondbacks stadium store and noticed this new hat in the section with the other on field hats. I'm wondering if this is the new Spring Training hats for 2020. Different material and a new rubberized logo. Another photo below with it compared to last years Spring Training hats. No idea if this is true, just speculation. But, if these were the new sprig training hats then there is a possibility that the DIamondbacks will introduce new Spring Training uniforms to match considering they've just been using their red jersey to match the red/black/sand color scheme. Or they could just wear their current alternate white/teal uniforms to go with the hat.

spacer.png

spacer.png

This cap is named the “Clubhouse Collection” for 2020. Not something that they wear on-field, but essentially just another fashion cap for MLB/New Era to sell. 

7 hours ago, TheOatsMustFlow said:

Another interesting thing that I found at the Diamondbacks Stadium Shop was their new alternate black A logo uniform. Every year since 1998 (I believe) they've used this logo on their uniforms with different layers of twill to create the logo. This year with the Nike takeover its something different, even though all of the material and uniform construction remains the same as the Majestic style as before. Its now a single layer of twill with the logo embroidered on. Kind of interesting. Not a fan of it, I think it makes it look cheaper or less professional but whatever.

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

If it is a single layer of twill, then that has to be the replica version

6 hours ago, Aznkid25 said:

This cap is named the “Clubhouse Collection” for 2020. Not something that they wear on-field, but essentially just another fashion cap for MLB/New Era to sell. 

Didn't New Era and MLB try a clubhouse cap a few years back that players were to wear post game?  

As for the cap itself, just like the 2018 Spring Training caps, I have stayed away from caps that don't have the logo stitched on.  They look cheep and I think the logo can peel off.  

14 minutes ago, Yac12 said:

Didn't New Era and MLB try a clubhouse cap a few years back that players were to wear post game?  

As for the cap itself, just like the 2018 Spring Training caps, I have stayed away from caps that don't have the logo stitched on.  They look cheep and I think the logo can peel off.  

You're right - the Clubhouse games were to be worn post-game, I think, but it never caught on.

The Clubhouse hats have been made every year for nearly a decade...they are just additional hats/merchandise that are quasi-on-field.  2018 and 2019 Clubhouse hats had rubber logos as well; the rubber logos are far better than the plastic logos that were on the 2018 ST hats. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived