kimball

MLB Changes 2020

On 8/29/2019 at 5:28 PM, Brandon9485 said:

I made my first trip to Miller Park since 2006 yesterday. I was reminded of one of their logos that I really like and hopefully will receive a new version if they rebrand next year.

spacer.png

That logo is the least-worst thing in their set now, managing to hide most of the script-M’s flaws in the state outline.  But it’s still my least favorite of the four versions they’ve had continuously since their founding fifty years ago.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

The state in the current one is way too detailed and bumpy compared to the smooth, sweeping M logo. Doesn’t look created by the same hand. The others have a much greater unity, even the simpler ones. 

I wasn’t aware of the Wisconsin logo history. Seems like I have nothing to worry about. 

I really like the M logo, even without the Wisconsin outline:

153-DED62-2791-42-F2-AFB3-E3-A1-C92694-A

There are many things wrong with the current Brewers, but the M isn’t one of them IMO.

The top-left of the first diagonal line that forms the M is absurdly awkward where it hits the curly detail.  It's like they just took an italicized-serifed M and added some flourish to it.  If they could fix that and recolor it, it's passable, but if this board is any representation of their fans (which it's obviously not, but it's all I have to go by), they are really locked in to the BiG and should just wave the white flag (a la the Padres) and figure out some way to bring it back.

7 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

Maybe not the best thread to ask this, but does anyone have a clue as to when all of the Majestic gear will be pulled from the Fanatics-run online stores? Is the Nike deal only for on-field apparel or does Majestic still have a license to sell t-shirts?

I think the Majestic name will be dead and we’ll see Fanatics take its place for t-shirt offerings. 

3 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

I can definitely picture a couple alts with this script coming- maybe white w/ headspoon, and a white-script version of the Players' Weekend jersey (though I'd really prefer a Chicago-script black). 

6 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The top-left of the first diagonal line that forms the M is absurdly awkward where it hits the curly detail.  It's like they just took an italicized-serifed M and added some flourish to it. 

Yep, that’s one of its major problems.  The flow is all over the place.  Awful. 

6 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

If they could fix that and recolor it, it's passable, but if this board is any representation of their fans (which it's obviously not, but it's all I have to go by), they are really locked in to the BiG and should just wave the white flag (a la the Padres) and figure out some way to bring it back.

I’d put money on it. 

spacer.png

The somewhat depressing thing about that is the absolute WORST option they could go with is to bring back the BiG logo as the primary and still keep the navy. The royal blue and gold color combo absolutely destroys anything else they've ever had in their history. That park is drab enough without having that enhanced by that subdued navy color. 

1 hour ago, Bucfan56 said:

The royal blue and gold color combo absolutely destroys anything else they've ever had in their history. 

I agree. 

My personal preferences notwithstanding, that is what I expect them to do.  

On 8/30/2019 at 11:47 AM, BrandMooreArt said:

Whoa - I totally missed this one.  I guess based on what the article states they were trying to do, they did a nice job with it.  I'd prefer something either a little more 'serious' or maybe fancy, but at least at first glance, it's OK.  Looks like they got the kerning right, and the letters all seem to be in line with each other along the slope (not sure the technical way to say that.)

What bugs me a little bit is the top right of both the W and S.  Seem just awkwardly cut off.  Some of the unused ones solved this problem, and I think if you take the W and S from some of those and combine it with the tail on this one, it could have been great.  There's not a single one of the unused or chosen one that I'd have chosen, but there's enough good stuff amongst all of them to have pieced together something great.  Still, this is good.  Looking forrward to see how it looks on a jersey.  I'm thinking it would look better on the black than on a pinstriped home, but maybe if they go with a solid-white alt, it'd look really nice.

white_sox_alternate_logo.png

Still disappointed with the idea that the BiG logo and the royal blue would be upgrades, if anything the brewers should try something new, considering all the looks they’ve had are worse than their current one. It’s not like the padres, the padres brown and yellow look is miles better than the BiG look. I’m glad the padres are going back, but I’m mad the brewers might be going back

I don't know who "Contino" is or what he has done, but everyone has been like "whoa, this is classic Contino."

I hope this makes it to a jacket but it shouldn't supplant the monogram on any official uniform. Quick-n-dirty with the necessary double-outline to match the thirds:

l826EjI.jpg

11 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

Still disappointed with the idea that the BiG logo and the royal blue would be upgrades, if anything the brewers should try something new, considering all the looks they’ve had are worse than their current one.

The word is actually spelled “b-e-t-t-e-r”.  😛 

11 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

It’s not like the padres, the padres brown and yellow look is miles better than the BiG look. I’m glad the padres are going back, but I’m mad the brewers might be going back

Brewers fans would respectfully disagree with you on all counts. 

41 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

The word is actually spelled “b-e-t-t-e-r”.  😛 

Brewers fans would respectfully disagree with you on all counts. 

Nostalgia can sometimes overshadow how good a look actually is

10 hours ago, the admiral said:

I don't know who "Contino" is or what he has done, but everyone has been like "whoa, this is classic Contino."

I hope this makes it to a jacket but it shouldn't supplant the monogram on any official uniform. Quick-n-dirty with the necessary double-outline to match the thirds:

l826EjI.jpg

Say what you want, but if they have this as a black alternate and wear a black batterman hat then it would be incredible. Obviously the current look is nearly untouchable but for an alternate that would be nice.

1 hour ago, BellaSpurs said:

Nostalgia can sometimes overshadow how good a look actually is

The nostalgia factor cannot be applied to me as I was born around the time that the BiG and color scheme was sadly thrown aside in favor of the dreck that came after. 

I'd be in favor of coming up with an entirely new look using royal/yellow, and maybe powder blue.  That way they'd have a new look, but they can still do the BiG retro nights.

On 9/1/2019 at 12:19 PM, the admiral said:

l826EjI.jpg

i'd go the other way with it and drop the outlines from all the logos and numbers. the outline isnt necessary, it makes the marks more complex. especially when adding them to elements that were designed to work without them, so those collisions of silver and closing of space around the letters cheapens it. just go the other way, drop all outlines.

I wonder if any teams will get re-branded with the Nike deal coming into play. Unfortunately I don't have any intel regarding the MLB.