MLB Changes 2020

kimball

The only team that ever looked good in powder blue was the Kansas City Royals.

s-l300.jpg

On every other team powder blue ranged from tacky to embarrassing. The Blue Jays occupy the tacky end of the spectrum; while the Cardinals reign supreme at the embarrassing end.

Aside from that, it looks bad because the letters and numbers should be white-blue-white rather than blue-white-blue.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The only team that ever looked good in powder blue was the Kansas City Royals.

s-l300.jpg

On every other team powder blue ranged from tacky to embarrassing. The Blue Jays occupy the tacky end of the spectrum; while the Cardinals reign supreme at the embarrassing end.

Aside from that, it looks bad because the letters and numbers should be white-blue-white rather than blue-white-blue.

I didn’t think the Rangers, Brewers, Twins, or Mariners looked all that great in their powder blue roads, and Atlanta’s was kind of derivative of KC’s now that I think about it, but I mostly loved the others, especially the Royals, Phillies and, yes, Cardinals. Diff’rent strokes, I reckon. 

9 hours ago, Teal said:

I'm already over this powder blue fad. 

VWuR0yo.jpg

gGLLGuG.jpg

8 hours ago, hormone said:

jays are capitalizing on a trend of 80s road uniforms. It’s not really their colors, just replicating old trendy road uniforms.

I mean the Jays wore some form of powder blue from 1977-2003, and wore it as their road look from 1977-1988. The idea that it's not really one of their colours doesn't hold water.

40 minutes ago, Brandon9485 said:

This works, but most teams don’t have the logo real estate the Jays do. I am afraid that a lot of the ST caps are going to look bad.

Well the rest of the spring training apparel drops feb 4th. Just remember; Spring Training should be fun!

SIG.png

17 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

When is every team going to start "swapping" their primaries and secondaries?

It's the digital age. A relatively complex logo where you have an icon in a roundel with text doesn't work that well on an app. The icon (in this case the blue jay head and leaf) by itself is far easier to use in those applications.

The powder blue look is...ok. I would have preferred white letters and numbers with royal blue highlights and the regular royal cap (or a white front panelled cap), but I don't hate the navy cap. I like it as a fashion cap more than something to be worn on the field, but we've long ago crossed that Rubicon.

2 hours ago, LA_Angels said:

Alright yall I've seen the new spring training attire and... interesting to say the least. Take the Jays new spring training hat for an example.

spacer.png

I wouldn't mind such a concept done in a red cap and use it as a Canada Day hat. 

I saw, I came, I left.

2 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

VWuR0yo.jpg

gGLLGuG.jpg

I mean the Jays wore some form of powder blue from 1977-2003, and wore it as their road look from 1977-1988. The idea that it's not really one of their colours doesn't hold water.

Yeah, I get it but a lot of teams are jumping on the powder blue train for 2020. 

Jaguars

5 hours ago, Teal said:

Yeah, I get it but a lot of teams are jumping on the powder blue train for 2020. 

The Blue Jays often resort to the standard "Canada's Team" stuff when it comes to alternates. Which is fine, and even cool, for special Canada Day alternates. Beyond that though? It gets tiring, comes off as pandering, and sacrifices the team namesake for a harmonized All Canada and Maple Leaves All the Time identity.

So if revisiting a colour that was part of the team's identity for a large chunk of its history lets them explore more options than just "Canada" for alternate identities? I'm all for it.

Yeah, I would have preferred standard royal blue caps or a white front panelled cap. Yeah, I would have preferred white numbers and letters with royal blue highlights. What they have isn't bad though, just a bit underwhelming. I welcome it if it's the first step in getting away from just "Canada" as far as alternate looks go.

I like these but they immediately reminded me of this unused uni from 97. I'm just holding my breath that this isn't the beginning of the end of brighter colors being used in sports design. We're 20-odd years removed from a time where pretty much every team darkened their colors and those that returned to their former bright colors have only done so in the past decade (design is cyclical). It'd be a shame if the Blue Jays dropped their perfect primary set for an inferior navy heavy look. spacer.png

17 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

VWuR0yo.jpg

gGLLGuG.jpg

I respectfully disagree with your assessment of powder blue being one of their colors. When they entered the league, powder blue was one of the “road” choices and I’m sure they chose it because of their name and the popularity of the color at the time (see teal in the 90s). Yes, the logo had hints of it, but it wasn’t featured on the home uniforms (to my knowledge) as a trim, piping, or number color. I don’t think we can claim team colors when there are hints of it in logos or we’d have to claim the Yankees as navy and red. That’s just my .02.

EDIT- I guess they did use powder blue back in the day at home for trim. I’ll give them some credit for it being in the scheme, but I don’t feel it’s currently there enough to warrant the use. If it was a throwback, I’d be more understanding. I’m giving no credence to the use of navy though.

KISSwall09.jpg

14 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

This works, but most teams don’t have the logo real estate the Jays do. I am afraid that a lot of the ST caps are going to look bad.

Exactly this. That Jays ST cap is decent but almost every other team has a cap logo with relatively narrow lettering that would make an inside logo so difficult to make out. I'd imagine a lot of the designs will have people squinting and going "umm what is that??" 

I really like the uniforms, and considering the franchise's history with powder blue, it's not pandering to consumer trends nearly as much as the Rangers, which, frankly, did it all wrong.

But I have one big criticism of this set: I think the emphasis on Navy over Royal hats makes it seem a bit too dark. I'd love to see how this simplified logo looks on the white-panel hat structure. Adding just a small dose of white could make a big difference.

And if there's one part of this set that sticks out as adopting a trend for trends' sake, it's the hat with the powder blue bill. It's completely unnecessary and not very attractive. If they wanted an alternate hat to tie in with this set, the white-panel hat would've been a smarter choice. 

23 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Exactly this. That Jays ST cap is decent but almost every other team has a cap logo with relatively narrow lettering that would make an inside logo so difficult to make out. I'd imagine a lot of the designs will have people squinting and going "umm what is that??" 

if you look at both leaked caps so far (Phillies and Jays) they both take a portion of the logo  (not just strictly the primary cap logo) and then put something inside. Like the Phillies took the bell and put the script in it and jays took the leaf and put the bird in it. Maybe/ hopefully they put some thought into it and we get something like the hanging Sox with the B inside rather than the opposite. I think there are opportunities for some good ST caps with this concept.

21 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

Swap the white and blue on the script and numbers, and this will look fine. As it is now, it's a mess from any distance, and looks like some blue dye accidentally got into the Jays' home whites.

Can you make a rendition/photoshop of what you mean, i would like to see it.

3 hours ago, hormone said:

I respectfully disagree with your assessment of powder blue being one of their colors. When they entered the league, powder blue was one of the “road” choices and I’m sure they chose it because of their name and the popularity of the color at the time (see teal in the 90s). Yes, the logo had hints of it, but it wasn’t featured on the home uniforms (to my knowledge) as a trim, piping, or number color. I don’t think we can claim team colors when there are hints of it in logos or we’d have to claim the Yankees as navy and red. That’s just my .02.

The Blue Jays were royal blue with powder blue trim from 1977 right up to the early 2000s.  Had powder blue as a trim colour on the home white uniforms.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Archived