MLB Changes 2020

kimball

15 hours ago, WSU151 said:

The gray Clubhouse hats have New Era custom colors. Paired with black and a secondary team color. 

Not really an official logo. Strictly for fashion.

The entire Clubhouse collection (so far) is here, y'all...and again, these aren't Spring Training or Batting Practice hats:

https://www.mlbshop.com/?pageSize=72&sortOption=NewestArrivals&query=clubhouse hat

If you scroll to pages 4,5,6 of that MLB Shop search, you can see Clubhouse hats from prior years. 

...no Padres hat.

this has been the worst new uniform rollout i've ever seen. you can't buy the jerseys and there's one damn hat. figure it out Padres.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's so stupid to think that an MLB player would have a specific cap for post game. No wonder those things never caught on.

Pre game batting practice and on field stretching and warm ups makes more sense because it's actual physical activity that they can wear a cap for but post game what do they actually do except take a shower, get dressed and MAYBE give an interview to the media? Nothing there do they need a cap for and if they happen to be wearing a cap it's most likely because they're giving their interview immediately after the game therefore they're just gonna still be wearing their uniform and the same cap that they wore during the game. And interviews given after a shower the player will be getting into their regular clothes therefore they wouldn't wear a team cap at all. Ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

California is a pretty distinct looking shape...but maybe that's just me. I'm a geography nerd.

It's distinct but I don't know if it's very well known compared to Texas and Florida. I see a sock shape... or maybe, anyone know that orange tool that comes with Lego sets to separate the Lego pieces?

1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

It's distinct but I don't know if it's very well known compared to Texas and Florida.

What are you basing this on?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

It's so stupid to think that an MLB player would have a specific cap for post game. No wonder those things never caught on.

Pre game batting practice and on field stretching and warm ups makes more sense because it's actual physical activity that they can wear a cap for but post game what do they actually do except take a shower, get dressed and MAYBE give an interview to the media? Nothing there do they need a cap for and if they happen to be wearing a cap it's most likely because they're giving their interview immediately after the game therefore they're just gonna still be wearing their uniform and the same cap that they wore during the game. And interviews given after a shower the player will be getting into their regular clothes therefore they wouldn't wear a team cap at all. Ridiculous. 

It’s just a name, fashion caps is all they are nothing more.

2 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

It's distinct but I don't know if it's very well known compared to Texas and Florida. I see a sock shape... or maybe, anyone know that orange tool that comes with Lego sets to separate the Lego pieces?

I’m pretty sure most people can recognize California at a glance.

34 minutes ago, dont care said:

I’m pretty sure most people can recognize California at a glance.

If they know they're looking at a state and have to guess what state it is then maybe but I feel like so many people would look at that Angels cap and wonder what that blob is supposed to be. Totally could just be me but I don't think the shape works on it's own.

37 minutes ago, dont care said:

It’s just a name, fashion caps is all they are nothing more.

Yes, I know this and I was gonna add this to my post that it was just a name but someone said it was originally intended as a post game cap and I just started thinking how stupid of a concept that actually is.

33 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

If they know they're looking at a state and have to guess what state it is then maybe but I feel like so many people would look at that Angels cap and wonder what that blob is supposed to be. Totally could just be me but I don't think the shape works on it's own.

The majority (probably 99.9999999999%) of people wearing the cap are either living in California or live outside of California but know what California looks like. 

The hat is designed for people who are baseball fans and know what the logo means. 

People who don't know baseball logos probably don't care what's on the hat. 

It blows my mind that there's any native-born American over the age of 10 that wouldn't recognize the shape of California.  It's one of the 'iconic' state shapes, like Texas and Florida.  IMO New Jersey is also in that category, but that might be influenced by my local bias.  Louisiana and Alaska might be on the list too.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Has anyone bought a new 2020 on field hat yet? I bought a Padres one a couple weeks ago, tried it on quickly in store and took it out tonight to see if it needed to be stretched a bit. It feels really flimsy and light, you can nearly see through the fabric. I already own about 35 MLB 5950 so I don't need to buy some as often anymore and it's the first one I buy for me since they added the New Era logo on the side but I have bought tons of these for my two sons in the last three years and none feels like this. Have they really cheapened the fabric? I'll try to put my next most recent and the Padres one on a food scale tomorrow but I'm pretty sure it's way lighter...

5 minutes ago, jp1409 said:

Has anyone bought a new 2020 on field hat yet? I bought a Padres one a couple weeks ago, tried it on quickly in store and took it out tonight to see if it needed to be stretched a bit. It feels really flimsy and light, you can nearly see through the fabric. I already own about 35 MLB 5950 so I don't need to buy some as often anymore and it's the first one I buy for me since they added the New Era logo on the side but I have bought tons of these for my two sons in the last three years and none feels like this. Have they really cheapened the fabric? I'll try to put my next most recent and the Padres one on a food scale tomorrow but I'm pretty sure it's way lighter...

Where is the cap made? I’ve had the displeasure of buying a Bangladesh made cap, and can’t put into words how horrid that cap is. I’ll stick to buying old grey unders for $13, and cool bases for $12. I’ll leave the $45 non discounted crap to the new wave buyers who don’t give a crap what they buy. 

32 minutes ago, jp1409 said:

The quality of the material really went down last year; nearly all imported hats were bad. In prior years you had hats made in the US with imported materials, and they were decent...but last year just sucked. I'd like to get a Padres cap and maybe a couple others...but I don't want to spend $35-$40 for more garbage.

Just received some Clubhouse 39thirty (stretchfit) hats today...and 80% (yes I buy in bulk then return the :censored:ty ones) look like they were sewn together by inebriated penguins. The brims all angled 20 degrees to the right. One hat was perfect...but then the batterman on the back was crooked. The waffle mesh material is nice, though, and I don't mind the rubber logos for novelty hats. 

43 minutes ago, MattMill said:

Where is the cap made? I’ve had the displeasure of buying a Bangladesh made cap, and can’t put into words how horrid that cap is. I’ll stick to buying old grey unders for $13, and cool bases for $12. I’ll leave the $45 non discounted crap to the new wave buyers who don’t give a crap what they buy. 

Bangladesh it is... Feels like wearing a hat made of cardboard and paper.

30 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The quality of the material really went down last year; nearly all imported hats were bad. In prior years you had hats made in the US with imported materials, and they were decent...but last year just sucked. I'd like to get a Padres cap and maybe a couple others...but I don't want to spend $35-$40 for more garbage.

Just received some Clubhouse 39thirty (stretchfit) hats today...and 80% (yes I buy in bulk then return the :censored:ty ones) look like they were sewn together by inebriated penguins. The brims all angled 20 degrees to the right. One hat was perfect...but then the batterman on the back was crooked. The waffle mesh material is nice, though, and I don't mind the rubber logos for novelty hats. 

The employees at Lids are always wondering why I'm looking at about ten hats before I decide to buy or not. I really wanted the new Padres hat and went to about a dozen Lids while on vacation before finding one without anything weird but the whole quality/feel is putrid at best. I have rarely seen a company reputation go downhill this fast without a major crime/scandal...

1 hour ago, jp1409 said:

Bangladesh it is... Feels like wearing a hat made of cardboard and paper.

My cap happened to have come from hatclub. The poly material is slick and greasy looking. The sweatband is literally paper thin. The crown is as they say Super Elmer Fudd like. It’s worse than any made in China cap. China is the new USA if you happen to be looking through caps or asking retailers. 

the sizing and look/fit is horrible as well. I didn’t even get a chance to look at the logo spacing and stitching alignment. It feels like a $20 cap, which I’d be fine paying. But now they want the up charge? The mlb and HC are a joke. I own hundreds of caps. I think I’ve bought 3-4 since 2017, and maybe one from 2019. So 2020 will be an easy pass. 

@WSU151

youre right on with the us/imported material comment. That trend seemed to start up in 2016. Many of the caps I own and like have imported materials. The stitching and cardboard material is all superior with USA. That was just the start of the bad trend. There’s a few US/imported caps that are pretty greasy and bad.

It’s been a fast decline. 2016 imported seem on par with USA. No difference. 2017 was 8-9 out of 10. 2018 many caps were 50-50, either solid 8-9 out of 10, or 5/10. 2019 and beyond, all of them are 5 or less. On their last legs, made in USA with imported materials meant nothing. They felt and looked like full overseas. 

sad times. Yet I still see $40 on fields sell out. 

Archived