Super Bowl LIII: Patriots & Rams Concepts

dakotapalm

Trying my hand at concepts for our two teams vying for the NFL Super Bowl title next weekend: Most of the concepts I see with the Patriots are either disjointed modern looks or they are throwbacks to the days of terrible Patriot teams. The 1980's uniforms bother me for two reasons. Revolutionary War Patriots shouldn't have redcoats. Second, the AFC East is filled with white helmets, and the silver helmets are a good distinction.

I tried to join the two eras with a coherent method, yes, HTown, even using StRiPinG ConsiStEnCy. The larger blue middle stripe ties in to the blue home jersey, as well as blue being the predominate color with the away numerals. A silver/gray filler between the shoulder stripes helps connect the jerseys to the helmet design as well. The three stripes are present on the side of the pants, as well.

One of the first things I had in mind designing the uniforms was to change the numerals, but not to a traditional varsity font, but with one reminiscent of the "Spirit of 76" flags or other designs of 1776.

Otherwise, I tried to keep the uniform similar to the Super Bowl winning uniforms of recent Patriot teams.

New+England+Concept+Away.png

For the Rams, I created custom version of a varsity/ academic font which gives an oversize/ old school look. For the most part, this is a traditional look with the massive Ram-horn shoulder stripes, and the yellow collar. However, I've always been bothered by traditional stripes on the pants. No white is present on the home jerseys, so none is present on the pants. The blue stripe is similar to the Denver Broncos' pant stripe, with a curve to imitate the ram horns on the shoulders, but not rising up the front of the pant. Otherwise, I didn't alter the appearance much from the traditional look going back to the Vince Ferragamo days.

LA+Rams+Concept+Home.png

Here's the two side-by side.

53+Super+Bowl+Concept.png

9 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

Nicely done.

Kinda wish these were the real uniforms.

What template are you using by the way?

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words. This template is one I made based on some Maryland football uniform display I found a few years ago, but I've customized the heck out of it. I added the Revo Speed Helmet, and several other things.

2 Complaints. 

1. Replace Fliyng Elvis inon the Sleeves with TV Numbers. They are required on every primary uniform.

2. No Side Panels. They are an ugly 2000’s trend and deceive to never be seen again.

3. The Swooping “Horn” on the pants is also a dead 2000’s trebd. While not as bad, it’s still a pain to look at. 

da0Lbhs.png

A couple responses on the TV numbers, and that's a good observation. I didn't think there was room on the shoulder, so I left them off. However, I agree there is no need for the Flying Elvis on the sleeves, so I've replace him with the numbers there. I was mixed on the side panels as I kind of wanted to connect this with the 2000s SB winning uniforms, but I'll omit them.

Not budging on the horn on the Rams' pants, however. It may have originated in 1997, but in reality, we could say the same thing about the Rams' horn on the shoulder. We really could call that a "trend from the 1970's." The pants need something to connect to the rest of the uniform other than traditional stripes.

Thanks for the comments and critiques. Here's an update on the Patriots:

New+England+Concept+Away2.png

Archived