Misconceptions of logos

5 minutes ago, tjs11 said:

WHAT? that's an eye? so the horn doesn't even come to a point?

The bottom of the horn merges with the top part of the white of the eye. The blue curl is the iris/pupil. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Chromatic said:

As a kid I actually didn’t realize the Minnesota Wild logo was supposed to be a bear head. I thought it was just an arbitrarily shaped wilderness scene. When it was pointed out it blew my mind.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQlKpRuBhpGt-fz5jDm3MG

Same. I thought it was a triangle shaped scene.

Probably ten years in before someone pointed it out.  I find it a masterful logo now.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

49 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

sacramento2.jpgcartoonsbartsimpsongmerchplascard02.JPG

Of course, I learned later how the Kings' logo predated the iconic TV series.

YES- my first memory of this logo was NBA jam. I remember thinking the crown was mountains. 

As for the Hawks logo, I definitely saw Pacman first, but once I realized it was a Hawks head, I couldn't unsee it. 

au67znem99jyg6d7esach62e4.png

sig.png

7 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

When I was like 6, it was the mid-90's when MJ was owning the NBA and it seemed like everyone was a Bulls fan.  MJ and the Bulls were everywhere.  Living in the DC area I also would hear about the Bullets.  I thought they were the same team with Bulls being short for Bullets and that the hands in the Bullets logo were bull horns.

Washington Bullets (1988 - 1997)

Before the advent of national media coverage and high resolution digital photography, I always thought they were wrenches.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

The blue curl is the iris/pupil.

Never saw that part. Just thought it was a white, soulless eye, like the Lions logo.

B9KQTAq.png

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

On 1/27/2019 at 6:34 PM, wdm1219inpenna said:

I am curious if any logos you recall from your youth or even adulthood caused you to have a misconception of some sort or another.

The one I think of is the old Denver Broncos logo the white horse inside the orange "D" breathing dust out of his nostrils.

As a youth, I thought that was the horse holding a lit flashlight.

FLASHLIGHT.png

What logos if any caused you misconceptions?

Speaking of this logo, I always thought the mane was the face and the curvature in the mane actually was the horse's mouth, which makes for an ugly horse, lol.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

When I was little I always heard people talking about how cool the wild logo was because it had a hidden logo in it. Being a little kid I didn't realize that the whole thing was a bear or cat head, I assumed they were talking about the red in the logo which to me looked like an abstract deer with its antlers reaching back and the legs being made in the spaces between the trees. Here is a really quick thing I made kinda showing what I saw.

Tu25UmI.png

7 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Tyler-John-Tyler-logo.jpg?ssl=1

As a kid, I had Lions stuff all over my room and stared at this thing every night for years. The white hole looks like an eye. I know it`s supposed to be the space between his leg and chin, but they could`ve made it a bit more pronounced. DROVE ME NUTS. So glad they updated it. 

19275122_10154743283747759_2421467575986

I could only ever see a Jb. Still to this day, I have to really look for the M. I think it would be brilliant if they made the right curl a bit more pronounced without disrupting the b. 

To a less extent, I used to think the old Bronco head in the D was snorting out lasers. 

As a kid I saw it as ello 

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

1 hour ago, daniel75 said:

The Broncos old blue helmet always looked way off to me because nowhere else is blue that dominant on the uniform. Come to think of it i’m not sure that “sky blue” is anywhere else on that uni.

And don't forget how on the left side, the capital D forces the horse to face away from the opponent.

7 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Tyler-John-Tyler-logo.jpg?ssl=1

As a kid, I had Lions stuff all over my room and stared at this thing every night for years. The white hole looks like an eye. I know it`s supposed to be the space between his leg and chin, but they could`ve made it a bit more pronounced. DROVE ME NUTS. So glad they updated it. 

19275122_10154743283747759_2421467575986

I could only ever see a Jb. Still to this day, I have to really look for the M. I think it would be brilliant if they made the right curl a bit more pronounced without disrupting the b. 

To a less extent, I used to think the old Bronco head in the D was snorting out lasers. 

I always saw the Expos' logo as "elb" 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

15 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

When I was like 6, it was the mid-90's when MJ was owning the NBA and it seemed like everyone was a Bulls fan.  MJ and the Bulls were everywhere.  Living in the DC area I also would hear about the Bullets.  I thought they were the same team with Bulls being short for Bullets and that the hands in the Bullets logo were bull horns.

Washington Bullets (1988 - 1997)

Kinda similarly, when I was a kid I had a Gilbert Arenas basketball card and he was wearing a Bullets throwback jersey. Since the card said he played for the Wizards, he couldn't possibly be the player in the jersey that said "Bullets" so I just assumed the arm in his face at the edge of the card was Gilbert Arenas. Afterward, I became very confused as to how I never got any cards with players from the Bullets. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

Archived