Misconceptions of logos

On 1/27/2019 at 5:50 PM, monkeypower said:

I knew this logo was supposed to be a buffalo, but I could never see it when I was younger because I would always read it the wrong way (right-to-left instead of left-to-right or vice versa. I still have that issue sometimes when I see the Blues or Red Wings logos).

417982000.gif

The back of the neck and the tuft under the chin were the mouth with the little hair in between (to the left of the snout) was the tongue. Then the eye was behind the horn in some sort of abstract design I guess. 

I'm convinced I saw it like that because of the triangle-ish shape in the bottom right of the logo. I still don't know what that's supposed to be. 

It wasn't until i became a member of this board years later that i realized that team in the NHL video games wasn't a demon. 

flyers-header.jpg

It took me years to realize this was a "P". I just assumed it was a cool wing shape with some kind of abstract backwards "E". 

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, shaydre1019 said:

flyers-header.jpg

It took me years to realize this was a "P". I just assumed it was a cool wing shape with some kind of abstract backwards "E". 

It was years before I actually saw the P here too. I always saw a hockey puck with a wing. I still don’t think the P is obvious to be honest.

I'm not a true francophone, so somebody correct me here, but Expos le baseball doesn't really make any sense. That literally translates to "Expos the Baseball". A more correct term would be "Le Baseball de Les Expos".

The Expos logo is good for nostalgic purposes, but that's about it. Hopefully when baseball comes back to Montreal, they go in a completely new direction.

As for one of my misconceptions, I always thought the Habs logo was a face turned sideways, and couldn't see the CH until recently, and I still struggle to find it.

oJhoK8x.png

@noe38concepts (Instagram - Twitter)

spacer.png

59 minutes ago, 8BW14 said:

It was years before I actually saw the P here too. I always saw a hockey puck with a wing. I still don’t think the P is obvious to be honest.

It's really not a very good logo.  However, it's probably untouchable now since it has been around for over 50 years.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

27 minutes ago, NoE38 said:
48 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

There's no "de les"; that becomes "des".

Right. I forgot about that. I should probably start taking French again 😂

Bien sûr, je suggère que tu apprennes plutôt l'Espéranto. (Mais c'est un autre sujet.)
Kompreneble, mi sugestas ke vi lernu Esperanton anstataŭe. (Sed tio estas alia temo.)

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

6 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

This was pointed out by one of my students...

The helmet's bill and player's nose is a duck with his mouth open...

1200px-Major_League_Baseball_logo.svg.pn

Also, with the bat still on his shoulders, he doesn't have a shot a making contact.

Must have used Bill Pecota for their silhouette 

Bill+Pecota+Fleer+91.jpg

Crying Wolf and Crying Bear

60588462008.gif63092682013.gif

Also, not a misconception, per se, but WTF is this?  Looks like a ghost with a smiley face.  Or a comet with a face.  Or, basically anything but a hawk. 

502389762005.gif

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

17 hours ago, NoE38 said:

I'm not a true francophone, so somebody correct me here, but Expos le baseball doesn't really make any sense. That literally translates to "Expos the Baseball". A more correct term would be "Le Baseball de Les Expos".

The Expos logo is good for nostalgic purposes, but that's about it. Hopefully when baseball comes back to Montreal, they go in a completely new direction.

As for one of my misconceptions, I always thought the Habs logo was a face turned sideways, and couldn't see the CH until recently, and I still struggle to find it.

oJhoK8x.png

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Not logos per se, but I used to think the Seahawks and the Redsk*ns both played in the Northwest.  To me, Washington was a state and Washington DC was a city.  So since they weren't the Washington DC Redsk*ns, they must have been the team for people from Washington state who didn't live in Seattle.

On 1/29/2019 at 5:39 PM, pianoknight said:

Crying Wolf and Crying Bear

60588462008.gif63092682013.gif

Also, not a misconception, per se, but WTF is this?  Looks like a ghost with a smiley face.  Or a comet with a face.  Or, basically anything but a hawk. 

502389762005.gif

Obviously it's not a hawk. It's a RIVER hawk!

1 minute ago, Davideo said:

Obviously it's not a hawk. It's a RIVER hawk!

Right. And it doesn't look like a bird. Or like water.

It looks like a monster from an old NES Dragon Warrior or Final Fantasy game. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived