On 1/27/2019 at 5:50 PM, monkeypower said:

I knew this logo was supposed to be a buffalo, but I could never see it when I was younger because I would always read it the wrong way (right-to-left instead of left-to-right or vice versa. I still have that issue sometimes when I see the Blues or Red Wings logos).

417982000.gif

The back of the neck and the tuft under the chin were the mouth with the little hair in between (to the left of the snout) was the tongue. Then the eye was behind the horn in some sort of abstract design I guess. 

I'm convinced I saw it like that because of the triangle-ish shape in the bottom right of the logo. I still don't know what that's supposed to be. 

It wasn't until i became a member of this board years later that i realized that team in the NHL video games wasn't a demon. 

flyers-header.jpg

It took me years to realize this was a "P". I just assumed it was a cool wing shape with some kind of abstract backwards "E". 

13 minutes ago, shaydre1019 said:

flyers-header.jpg

It took me years to realize this was a "P". I just assumed it was a cool wing shape with some kind of abstract backwards "E". 

It was years before I actually saw the P here too. I always saw a hockey puck with a wing. I still don’t think the P is obvious to be honest.

5 minutes ago, 8BW14 said:

It was years before I actually saw the P here too. I always saw a hockey puck with a wing. I still don’t think the P is obvious to be honest.

Quite true. I always kinda knew the P was there, but the fact that its on such an angle makes it very easy to miss.

I'm not a true francophone, so somebody correct me here, but Expos le baseball doesn't really make any sense. That literally translates to "Expos the Baseball". A more correct term would be "Le Baseball de Les Expos".

The Expos logo is good for nostalgic purposes, but that's about it. Hopefully when baseball comes back to Montreal, they go in a completely new direction.

As for one of my misconceptions, I always thought the Habs logo was a face turned sideways, and couldn't see the CH until recently, and I still struggle to find it.

oJhoK8x.png

6 minutes ago, NoE38 said:

A more correct term would be "Le Baseball de Les Expos"

There's no "de les"; that becomes "des".

Anyway, the Expos' logo has no L!  It has an E and a B inside of an M.  No L. 

23 hours ago, fnz said:

I thought Indiana's "IU" logo was a menorah. I was seven, not Jewish, and had no idea how many candle belonged on a menorah.

My younger brother as a kid always thought it was a fork.

20 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Right. I forgot about that. I should probably start taking French again 😂

59 minutes ago, 8BW14 said:

It's really not a very good logo.  However, it's probably untouchable now since it has been around for over 50 years.

27 minutes ago, NoE38 said:
48 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Right. I forgot about that. I should probably start taking French again 😂

Bien sûr, je suggère que tu apprennes plutôt l'Espéranto. (Mais c'est un autre sujet.)
Kompreneble, mi sugestas ke vi lernu Esperanton anstataŭe. (Sed tio estas alia temo.)

6 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

This was pointed out by one of my students...

The helmet's bill and player's nose is a duck with his mouth open...

1200px-Major_League_Baseball_logo.svg.pn

Also, with the bat still on his shoulders, he doesn't have a shot a making contact.

Must have used Bill Pecota for their silhouette 

Bill+Pecota+Fleer+91.jpg

Crying Wolf and Crying Bear

60588462008.gif63092682013.gif

Also, not a misconception, per se, but WTF is this?  Looks like a ghost with a smiley face.  Or a comet with a face.  Or, basically anything but a hawk. 

502389762005.gif

For a long time I thought Oklahoma's OU logo was a Q. This was the logo I grew up seeing:

2556.png

17 hours ago, NoE38 said:

I'm not a true francophone, so somebody correct me here, but Expos le baseball doesn't really make any sense. That literally translates to "Expos the Baseball". A more correct term would be "Le Baseball de Les Expos".

The Expos logo is good for nostalgic purposes, but that's about it. Hopefully when baseball comes back to Montreal, they go in a completely new direction.

As for one of my misconceptions, I always thought the Habs logo was a face turned sideways, and couldn't see the CH until recently, and I still struggle to find it.

oJhoK8x.png

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

2 hours ago, Buc said:

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

You mean it’s not a toilet seat!?!? 😛

Another one, when the Ducks rebranded I initially thought the webbed D foot was supposed to resemble a duck bill, the "toes" of the foot were where it attached to the face and the rightside was where the mouth would open

1651_anaheim_ducks-primary-2014.gif

Not logos per se, but I used to think the Seahawks and the Redsk*ns both played in the Northwest.  To me, Washington was a state and Washington DC was a city.  So since they weren't the Washington DC Redsk*ns, they must have been the team for people from Washington state who didn't live in Seattle.

On 1/29/2019 at 5:39 PM, pianoknight said:

Crying Wolf and Crying Bear

60588462008.gif63092682013.gif

Also, not a misconception, per se, but WTF is this?  Looks like a ghost with a smiley face.  Or a comet with a face.  Or, basically anything but a hawk. 

502389762005.gif

Obviously it's not a hawk. It's a RIVER hawk!

1 minute ago, Davideo said:

Obviously it's not a hawk. It's a RIVER hawk!

Right. And it doesn't look like a bird. Or like water.

It looks like a monster from an old NES Dragon Warrior or Final Fantasy game. 

Here's a misconception... this logo is based off of 80's Miami Vice teal and pink...

Miami Marlins (2019 - Pres)

Image result for can of worms

On 1/29/2019 at 11:01 AM, miller91 said:

M E L B

Montreal Expos
Expos Le Baseball (translation, Expos Baseball)

Mel B?

C0xV2gz.jpg