Misconceptions of logos

7 hours ago, NicDB said:

Not logos per se, but I used to think the Seahawks and the Redsk*ns both played in the Northwest.  To me, Washington was a state and Washington DC was a city.  So since they weren't the Washington DC Redsk*ns, they must have been the team for people from Washington state who didn't live in Seattle.

I did too at first. Even though I knew they were in the NFC East - I mean, the Dallas Cowboys and Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals were both in the East, and they weren't anywhere near the east coast.

I think I had this misconception of all the "Washington" teams until I was maybe 10 or so and realized they were based in the nation's capital.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

I did too at first. Even though I knew they were in the NFC East - I mean, the Dallas Cowboys and Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals were both in the East, and they weren't anywhere near the east coast.

I think I had this misconception of all the "Washington" teams until I was maybe 10 or so and realized they were based in the nation's capital.

Not to mention, Atlanta and New Orleans in the West, and Tampa Bay in the Central.  Then when Carolina came along, there was nowhere to stick them but the West.

The NFC was a hot mess before realignment.

On 1/28/2019 at 1:33 AM, Chromatic said:

As a kid I actually didn’t realize the Minnesota Wild logo was supposed to be a bear head. I thought it was just an arbitrarily shaped wilderness scene. When it was pointed out it blew my mind.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQlKpRuBhpGt-fz5jDm3MG

I just found out less than a decade ago. For the first decade plus of the team's existence I thought they had the weirdest/lamest logo ever, just a wilderness scene. I was wondering what I was missing. 

Somewhere along the line it finally clicked that there was a bear in there.

On 1/27/2019 at 10:14 PM, pianoknight said:

I used to think Texas' was a uterus. 

Actually, I still think that. 

124zjer.jpg

I bought a Longhorns Christmas ornament at Whole Foods in Austin a few years ago... the cashier literally thought it was a uterus ornament and remarked on it, before we set her straight 😀

On 1/31/2019 at 3:35 AM, NicDB said:

Not logos per se, but I used to think the Seahawks and the Redsk*ns both played in the Northwest.  To me, Washington was a state and Washington DC was a city.  So since they weren't the Washington DC Redsk*ns, they must have been the team for people from Washington state who didn't live in Seattle.

I had the opposite misconception where I thought that the University of Washington was based in DC along with Washington State.

• 4 weeks later...

Some of mine from childhood:

I thought the Vikings helmet logo was a white whistle.

I thought the Florida State logo was Elvis Presley with a big pompadeur belting out a ballad

For years I saw the new Falcons logo all wrong. I thought the talons were the head, and thought the head and body were the left wing swooping around

On 1/31/2019 at 2:35 AM, NicDB said:

I lost a friendship because when I was a kid my friend and I got into fight over the location Washington Bullets. He was insistent that the Bullets played in Washington state and not in DC, because they weren’t the Washington DC Bullets. Even after I showed they played in the East and the Sonics in the West he wouldn’t accept it.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

On 1/28/2019 at 4:05 PM, BigDmo said:

For some reason, even to this day, when I look at the Texans logo I do not see it as a steer with its head down charging to the right but rather an abstract steer head with a really sloped nose facing the left with a star in the middle of its forehead

71HNbUOrFsL._SX425_.jpg

Until you posted this I thought it was an left facing steer head as well.

1 hour ago, tajmccall said:

This one got me until recently- 

The Denver Pioneers had this hawk logo on the shoulders of their hockey sweaters- 

spacer.png

and always thought it was it was a Davy Crockett coon skin cap.

spacer.png

Is it a hawk? I’ve always thought it was a turkey. It looks like it has a tail fan, not wings to me. I definitely do see the hat now, too. At least that makes sense within the context of the pioneers moniker.

Either way, it’s not a good logo if we see a turkey or a coonskin cap instead of a hawk...

1 hour ago, tajmccall said:

This one got me until recently- 

The Denver Pioneers had this hawk logo on the shoulders of their hockey sweaters- 

spacer.png

and always thought it was it was a Davy Crockett coon skin cap.

spacer.png

To me, the hawk always looked like it was hatching out of a tan/beige egg.

I can't explain the red and white part at the bottom.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived