wdm1219inpenna

Misconceptions of logos

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, NicDB said:

Not logos per se, but I used to think the Seahawks and the Redsk*ns both played in the Northwest.  To me, Washington was a state and Washington DC was a city.  So since they weren't the Washington DC Redsk*ns, they must have been the team for people from Washington state who didn't live in Seattle.

I did too at first. Even though I knew they were in the NFC East - I mean, the Dallas Cowboys and Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals were both in the East, and they weren't anywhere near the east coast.

 

I think I had this misconception of all the "Washington" teams until I was maybe 10 or so and realized they were based in the nation's capital.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always see “Jigers”

a9e0ko0iha90giwluhqqjunog.gif

I’ve never understood why they don’t use this Detroit font for anything 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, MGoBlue98 said:

I always see “Jigers”

a9e0ko0iha90giwluhqqjunog.gif

I’ve never understood why they don’t use this Detroit font for anything 

That print font looks a lot more Pistons than Tigers to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As for Norfolk State's secondary logos, I realize these days those are shields below the heads but I always think it's their upper bodies hunched over.

3EsND8f.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

I did too at first. Even though I knew they were in the NFC East - I mean, the Dallas Cowboys and Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals were both in the East, and they weren't anywhere near the east coast.

 

I think I had this misconception of all the "Washington" teams until I was maybe 10 or so and realized they were based in the nation's capital.


Not to mention, Atlanta and New Orleans in the West, and Tampa Bay in the Central.  Then when Carolina came along, there was nowhere to stick them but the West.

The NFC was a hot mess before realignment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For some reason, I once mistook the Nittany Lion for some weird tuba-like music instrument:

PSU.jpg.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2019 at 1:33 AM, Chromatic said:

As a kid I actually didn’t realize the Minnesota Wild logo was supposed to be a bear head. I thought it was just an arbitrarily shaped wilderness scene. When it was pointed out it blew my mind.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQlKpRuBhpGt-fz5jDm3MG

 

I just found out less than a decade ago. For the first decade plus of the team's existence I thought they had the weirdest/lamest logo ever, just a wilderness scene. I was wondering what I was missing. 

 

Somewhere along the line it finally clicked that there was a bear in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2019 at 10:14 PM, pianoknight said:

I used to think Texas' was a uterus. 

 

Actually, I still think that. 

 

124zjer.jpg

 

 

I bought a Longhorns Christmas ornament at Whole Foods in Austin a few years ago... the cashier literally thought it was a uterus ornament and remarked on it, before we set her straight 😀

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I obviously know what theses logos are supposed to represent, but I always chose to see them as a b-hole and a p-hole, to put it childishly. 

 

1638_carolina_hurricanes-jersey-2000.png

 

1804_carolina_hurricanes-jersey-2009.png

 

And to think, they were "born" out of this beauty, so to speak.

 

hartford_whalers.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2019 at 5:52 PM, neo_prankster said:

For some reason, I once mistook the Nittany Lion for some weird tuba-like music instrument:

PSU.jpg.jpg

 

It just seems like that because he's looking the other way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2019 at 3:35 AM, NicDB said:

Not logos per se, but I used to think the Seahawks and the Redsk*ns both played in the Northwest.  To me, Washington was a state and Washington DC was a city.  So since they weren't the Washington DC Redsk*ns, they must have been the team for people from Washington state who didn't live in Seattle.

I had the opposite misconception where I thought that the University of Washington was based in DC along with Washington State.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of mine from childhood:

 

I thought the Vikings helmet logo was a white whistle.

 

I thought the Florida State logo was Elvis Presley with a big pompadeur belting out a ballad

 

For years I saw the new Falcons logo all wrong. I thought the talons were the head, and thought the head and body were the left wing swooping around

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2019 at 2:35 AM, NicDB said:

Not logos per se, but I used to think the Seahawks and the Redsk*ns both played in the Northwest.  To me, Washington was a state and Washington DC was a city.  So since they weren't the Washington DC Redsk*ns, they must have been the team for people from Washington state who didn't live in Seattle.

 

I lost a friendship because when I was a kid my friend and I got into fight over the location Washington Bullets. He was insistent that the Bullets played in Washington state and not in DC, because they weren’t the Washington DC Bullets. Even after I showed they played in the East and the Sonics in the West he wouldn’t accept it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really logo related but I feel like sharing anyway. When I was a very very young lad I didn’t realize football and hockey players were wearing shoulder pads beneath their jerseys and thought they were all just inhumanly jacked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For a long time, I thought that this UCF logo...

oer9e7h.jpg

...was a baseball mitt. I never saw the Pegasus until a few years ago, actually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This one got me until recently- 

The Denver Pioneers had this hawk logo on the shoulders of their hockey sweaters- 

 

spacer.png

 

and always thought it was it was a Davy Crockett coon skin cap.

 

spacer.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2019 at 4:05 PM, BigDmo said:

For some reason, even to this day, when I look at the Texans logo I do not see it as a steer with its head down charging to the right but rather an abstract steer head with a really sloped nose facing the left with a star in the middle of its forehead

 

71HNbUOrFsL._SX425_.jpg

 

Until you posted this I thought it was an left facing steer head as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tajmccall said:

This one got me until recently- 

The Denver Pioneers had this hawk logo on the shoulders of their hockey sweaters- 

 

spacer.png

 

and always thought it was it was a Davy Crockett coon skin cap.

 

spacer.png

 

Is it a hawk? I’ve always thought it was a turkey. It looks like it has a tail fan, not wings to me. I definitely do see the hat now, too. At least that makes sense within the context of the pioneers moniker.

 Either way, it’s not a good logo if we see a turkey or a coonskin cap instead of a hawk...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2019 at 4:26 AM, Timaa said:

I obviously know what theses logos are supposed to represent, but I always chose to see them as a b-hole and a p-hole, to put it childishly. 

 

1638_carolina_hurricanes-jersey-2000.png

 

I really hope no ones b-hole looks like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tajmccall said:

This one got me until recently- 

The Denver Pioneers had this hawk logo on the shoulders of their hockey sweaters- 

 

spacer.png

 

and always thought it was it was a Davy Crockett coon skin cap.

 

spacer.png

 

 

To me, the hawk always looked like it was hatching out of a tan/beige egg.

 

I can't explain the red and white part at the bottom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.