Misconceptions of logos

1 hour ago, leopard88 said:

To me, the hawk always looked like it was hatching out of a tan/beige egg.

I can't explain the red and white part at the bottom.

When this logo was released, I'm pretty sure the idea behind it was that it was an ambiguous mix of a pioneer cap AND a hawk, because school officials couldn't make up their mind which one they wanted. I'll try to hunt it down.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, agentrygraphics said:

When this logo was released, I'm pretty sure the idea behind it was that it was an ambiguous mix of a pioneer cap AND a hawk, because school officials couldn't make up their mind which one they wanted. I'll try to hunt it down.

"Ambiguous" is certainly an apt description.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Not really a misconception, but...

When I was a kid the first team I learned about was the Blue Jays, I think from a helmet ice cream cup. Blue Jays are blue, so blue made sense. I liked blue... so by default I liked the Argonauts and Maple Leafs, not because of living "near" Toronto or watching the teams or sports at all, but because BLUE.

To this day I firmly believe in city wide colour schemes.

Now I shudder at that thought, as a die hard Hamilton Tiger-Cats fan, STH, and can see the stadium from my porch, that I ever thought I kinda liked the Argos.

On 2/27/2019 at 5:43 PM, McGlinchey23 said:

Some of mine from childhood:

I thought the Vikings helmet logo was a white whistle.

I thought the Florida State logo was Elvis Presley with a big pompadeur belting out a ballad

For years I saw the new Falcons logo all wrong. I thought the talons were the head, and thought the head and body were the left wing swooping around

I misinterpreted the Falcons logo as well.  I recognized the correct head but thought the rest was just an abstract mess that included a wing.  I don’t think I recognized it as a wing flapping in flight until I saw a Falcons-inspired high school logo at an angle showing both wings (it was a way better logo). 💡 

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Funny you mention that, I remember coming across a semipro team, the Flint Falcons, and their logo was a tweaked version of the old falcon.  Two wings, and also two talons, one holding a football IIRC.  They folded years ago, so it'd be a tough go of finding it.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

1 hour ago, Discrimihater said:

Funny you mention that, I remember coming across a semipro team, the Flint Falcons, and their logo was a tweaked version of the old falcon.  Two wings, and also two talons, one holding a football IIRC.  They folded years ago, so it'd be a tough go of finding it.

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know for sure if this belongs here, but I couldn't find the thread about hidden features of logos and this post seems squarely between that topic and this one, so here goes:

I think Cal-Irvine's "UCI" logo, with the three interlocking letters, looks kind of like an anteater snout if you're facing the animal head-on. I also suspect this is 100% intentional, given that UCI's teams are called the Anteaters. I've never seen anything written about that one way or the other that I can recall, though.

5 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

I don't know for sure if this belongs here, but I couldn't find the thread about hidden features of logos and this post seems squarely between that topic and this one, so here goes:

I think Cal-Irvine's "UCI" logo, with the three interlocking letters, looks kind of like an anteater snout if you're facing the animal head-on. I also suspect this is 100% intentional, given that UCI's teams are called the Anteaters. I've never seen anything written about that one way or the other that I can recall, though.

This logo?

spacer.png

Man, I'm trying desperately but I just can't see what you're seeing. I just see the letters, nothing more, no matter how hard I look

14 hours ago, jn8 said:

spacer.png

Please permit me to offer the opinion (even though it is off the topic) that this logo is flawed, because none of the letters cross or interlock with any other letter.  It's just three letters placed one on top of the other. 

I think the U and C should interlock, with the I sitting atop them.

uci.png

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

2 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Please permit me to offer the opinion (even though it is off the topic) that this logo is flawed, because none of the letters cross or interlock with any other letter.  It's just three letters placed one on top of the other. 

I never noticed that before, but now I can't unsee it.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 3/15/2019 at 8:00 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Flawed? Sounds more like a valid artistic choice to me. 🙂

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

3 hours ago, andrewharrington said:
On 3/15/2019 at 11:00 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Flawed? Sounds more like a valid artistic choice to me. 🙂

I see what you did there.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 1/28/2019 at 4:05 PM, BigDmo said:

For some reason, even to this day, when I look at the Texans logo I do not see it as a steer with its head down charging to the right but rather an abstract steer head with a really sloped nose facing the left with a star in the middle of its forehead

71HNbUOrFsL._SX425_.jpg

The Paul Stanley of Sports Logos

Archived