MLB 150th Anniversary Patch for 2019 Spotted

MLB 150th Anniversary Patch for 2019 Spotted

January 28, 2019 - 20:31 PM

It appears Major League Baseball will indeed celebrate their 150th anniversary in 2019 with a commemorative league-wide patch. Thanks to a photo Tweeted out yesterday by the Minnesota Twins, we’ve all now gotten our first look at the patch that […]

Read More...

It's not great, but it could have been a lot worse. I also admire that they didn't make it comically large like the 125th Anniversary patch in 1994.

mlb-150th-anniversary-patch-2019-590x528

The mothership does ask an interesting question: Will it change colors for different teams? I could go either way on it. I do like seeing the batterman logo in team colors, but at the same time, there's something to be said for MLB standing strong on their branding across the board.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

18 hours ago, Matito said:

It's not great, but it could have been a lot worse. I also admire that they didn't make it comically large like the 125th Anniversary patch in 1994.

This is my thinking on it too. With all the oversized and complex logos over the years I kinda appreciate the simplicity of this one even it is pretty plain and boring...

18 hours ago, Matito said:

The mothership does ask an interesting question: Will it change colors for different teams? I could go either way on it. I do like seeing the batterman logo in team colors, but at the same time, there's something to be said for MLB standing strong on their branding across the board.

The batterman in team colors are awesome but I don't think they fit here. MLB is celebrating it's anniversary, not each specific team, each team having their own colors in the logo implies they've been around 150 years too. Does that make sense? Having the DBacks, Rockies, Marlins, Rays, Royals, Mets, etc etc celebrating 150 years specifically wouldn't look right.

With so many teams having patches on the left sleeve this allows for special patches to sit on the right sleeve instead of placing them on the front of the jersey. This way you'll have a more uniform look for events like the All Star Game.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

...Plus the Angels regularly have the A on the right sleeve (for some unknown reason)...guessing this was designed partially with that in mind too.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Before this spirals into a typical internet, jump the gun. over react, thread -- let's pause because we were better than that.

Hold off on bashing this anniversary patch for now.  Ultimately, no one wants clashing patches, and teams will have their own patch right above this for whatever anniversaries or special events they are having, or just their normal sleeve patches.  

There will be an MLB anniversary logo for uses other than the sleeve patch, and this patch will basically be a partial or simplified version of that.   To me this is a great solution to acknowledge MLB 150 without dominating and muddling up the brand.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Archived