International Soccer Kits 2019

Digby

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Scratcher said:

As a Brazilian, I absolutely hate seeing Brazil playing in white.

As a brazilian, I LOVE the white kit. Nike should have made the home kit white for the whole 2019 season.

It's time to move on from a game played in 1950, specially since we had a way worse defeat in 2014.

1 minute ago, OlavoP said:

As a brazilian, I LOVE the white kit. Nike should have made the home kit white for the whole 2019 season.

It's time to move on from a game played in 1950, specially since we had a way worse defeat in 2014.

If you start playing with home kit colors you end up like the USA. No set look every year.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

46 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

If you start playing with home kit colors you end up like the USA. No set look every year.

Wouldn't mind the white kit this year only as it's a reference to our first Copa America title in 1919. That along with the fact that the yellow kit is heavilly associated with politics this days (but I really don't wanna brig that discussion over here).

• 1 month later...

The US men are debuting their new red kit for the first time, which has a different number placement than the women. I’m guessing this is because the women have the WWC titleholder badge and it looks better centered with that?

For comparison, here is the women’s take on it.

I’m not much of a fan of this kit. I have never liked royal blue (the trim on this kit) for the national team- I much prefer navy blue. The blue numbers on red probably looked good in a mock-up but will be impossible during a game to distinguish. Don’t really like the design. The shirt by itself is ok. The entire kit is just rather blah with matching red shorts and then those socks stick out like a sore thumb.

34 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

The US men are debuting their new red kit for the first time, which has a different number placement than the women. I’m guessing this is because the women have the WWC titleholder badge and it looks better centered with that?

The men are also continuing to use the typeface pictured below rather than the typeface introduced with the WWC kits.

spacer.png

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

^ good catch, I hadn’t noticed that. I think I prefer the men’s font but don’t love it with the sublimated stars in this application. It makes a messy design even messier. I don’t mind the stars so much on the plainer previous designs with the more contrasting numbers.

Horrible look. Not only does it not look like an American kit, but it’s also just terrible aesthetically. The all red with royal blue socks is an eye sore, but it would at least make more sense from a color perspective for a team like Korea. If you’re going to do bright red and royal blue, the bomb pops are the way to go. Otherwise, wear the Waldo kits, wear something more traditional, but just don’t wear this. The black kits were bad, but these are worse, and U.S. Soccer is just as much to blame as Nike.

1 hour ago, anythinglogos said:

I never really warmed up to 90 minutes. The 2018 font is pretty good, but I’m partial to the 2006-12 font

Agree wholeheartedly. I would say the current mens-but-not-womens font is a close second, though, albeit not when it's royal blue over bright red.

The good news is, in the current "throw everything at the wall, branding be damned" era of kit design, if you don't like the typeface it won't last for more than 12 or so games anyway.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

16 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

The US men are debuting their new red kit for the first time, which has a different number placement than the women. I’m guessing this is because the women have the WWC titleholder badge and it looks better centered with that? comparison, here is the women’s take on it.

I think they're just keeping the number placement consistent across each team's kits. The women got a new home kit for World Cup and the aforementioned new typeface, so the placement on their red kit is consistent with that new home kit. The men have kept the old "flag ripped in the wind" look, which had the split numbering and the off-centered number, so they're sticking with that on their reds.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

9 minutes ago, pressstart66 said:

Does it bother anyone else that Portugal doesn’t wear white shorts with their primary kit anymore. They changed permanently to red shorts with the new kit design post-EURO 2016.

These seem to move in cycles. The US hasn't worn blue shorts with their home kits for years though, lone exception being 2017's game at Azteca.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

28 minutes ago, pressstart66 said:

Does it bother anyone else that Portugal doesn’t wear white shorts with their primary kit anymore. They changed permanently to red shorts with the new kit design post-EURO 2016.

It’s not like they’ve  worn white shirts all that often, in the past 30 years I can only recall them using white shorts at the 2010 World Cup. They’ve abandoned the green shorts that were first choice through the 80’s until the mid 00’s, but frankly I think all red with green socks looks better and mimicked the flags color ratio nicely, the current kit might be their best ever in terms of color balance. I do wish we would get a dark red kit with gold and green accents again

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Archived