NHL changes 2019-20

BJ Sands

44 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

I don't understand the want for navy blue instead of the steel blue. Having two dark colors like burgundy and navy muddies things up a bit too much for my liking. The steel blue is just light enough to pair well with the burgundy. 

Agreed, it made sense back when they were using the Rbk jerseys but they nailed these so much there's no question

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

Now that this sweater’s trim matches the socks they’ve had for forever, this is their best uniform ever. The collar should be solid silver and the road needs some blue trim and then the Avs would have a perfect set. I honestly hate seeing the Avs in white, because it’s so mismatched. Their a burgundy, silver, and black team on the road, and yet they have a big blue stripe on the sock. So close yet so far...

I'm all about matching stripes as much as anyone else, but the blue stripe ties the updated look to the originals. I like it Better than I would with the socks being White/Silver/Burgundy.

I cant explain it. Maybe because its the only white socks the Avs have ever had with a full-time set and Ive always followed them.

The burgundy socks are the same way for me. They didnt match with the original set, but now they do and Im fine with it.

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

On 12/19/2019 at 7:40 AM, Discrimihater said:

So they're doing that "hey, let's do our own skills challenge" thing again?

I'm pretty sure every team in the league does their own skills competition.

On 12/19/2019 at 1:04 PM, DastardlyRidleylash said:

Eh, I prefer the NHL having one consistent logo like the NFL over going with the MLB approach. That works for MLB because you can fit multiple colors into the MLB logo. With the NHL logo, you have only two; orange/silver and black.

For some teams, like Toronto or Detroit, that's fine. For teams like, say, Anaheim or Florida, that use more then just two colors on their jerseys, not so much.

The MLB logo only contains 2 colours, and the teams manage to make it work. Pretty easy to just pick your 2 most prominent colours (i.e. the Diamondbacks use brick red & black).

Besides, the NHL crest has multiple outlines, so I don't see why you'd have to limit teams to 2 colours.

On 12/17/2019 at 6:45 PM, TalktoChuck said:

Unpopular opinion, but I'm a huge fan of hockey uniforms that have the numbers on the shoulders.

Connor-McDavid-5-575x463.jpg

This is the best Oilers uniform, ever.

If that's their best--I'd hate to see their worst.

this uni is hard on my eyes--the ones with copper i liked , their third now is nice--these look tacky, the colours don't work & it hurts my eyes (& looks very dated at best)

But maybe that's just my opinion.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

13 hours ago, Stampman said:

If that's their best--I'd hate to see their worst.

this uni is hard on my eyes--the ones with copper i liked , their third now is nice--these look tacky, the colours don't work & it hurts my eyes (& looks very dated at best)

But maybe that's just my opinion.

I never understood the 'hard on my eyes' argument that the Oilers royal/orange combos seem to bring up. Maybe my eyes aren't as sensitive to shades of orange as every one else's. But, it's a deep royal blue and a muted orange, nothing eye-searing about either of those colors. If anything, the current shade of orange they use is hard on the eyes.

jNTsTyQ.png

On 12/20/2019 at 10:36 PM, Point1 said:

Respect to the concepts in here but not a single one of those looks better than the current Avs home uniform. The blue, silver, and burgundy is a perfect combination and the black looks fine.

Nathan-MacKinnon.jpg

The issue with the Avs set, as previously noted, is that there is extremely little blue on the away jerseys. They switch from burgundy/blue/grey/black/white to white/burgundy/grey/black.

1177196681.jpeg&c=sc&w=736&h=485

Two small changes, but both would be major improvements, would be to change the grey striping on the away jersey to blue and then to switch the grey outlines on the numbers and captain's letters. The A on MacKinnon's jersey in the quoted post looks like a blob and then you can barely even see the outline of the numbers on either jersey. They use a blue outline on the burgundy arms for the away jersey, so why not on the burgundy of the homes?

IEI5Tg1.png

The slate numbers look good but they should still add the blue stripe to the mountain range pattern.  The new homes look great because the striping finally matches the socks.  Do that for the roads, add the slate numbers and you have a perfectly balanced uniform.

On 12/24/2019 at 1:00 PM, tohasbo said:

With the NHL ASG captains announced a couple of days ago, looks like we will see division related logos yet again.

hvgznMP.png

It's been nice to see division logos made, even if it is all the same style, just colours being swapped

These would be much, much nicer if the shield simply contained the first letter of each division's name, with the full division name in the banner underneath. They'd make nice shoulder patches on the jerseys.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

On 12/21/2019 at 6:09 AM, jmac11281 said:

I don't understand the want for navy blue instead of the steel blue. Having two dark colors like burgundy and navy muddies things up a bit too much for my liking. The steel blue is just light enough to pair well with the burgundy. 

Agree with this wholeheartedly.  Though I will say that when you see their current alternates up-close, like in this picture, they look really sharp.  There's a sophistication and subtlety about this colour scheme that their main look lacks...

HJ09583.jpg

...It unfortunately gets lost when you see them on the ice, even at a small distance.  Blur your eyes just a little bit and the jerseys look practically monochromatic.

L7bvAig.jpg

On 12/28/2019 at 3:37 AM, Morgo said:

Agree with this wholeheartedly.  Though I will say that when you see their current alternates up-close, like in this picture, they look really sharp.  There's a sophistication and subtlety about this colour scheme that their main look lacks...

HJ09583.jpg

...It unfortunately gets lost when you see them on the ice, even at a small distance.  Blur your eyes just a little bit and the jerseys look practically monochromatic.

L7bvAig.jpg

It's because they use grey. The white trim that separates the dark navy and burgundy on their 3rds is a high contrast mix.

I personally feel like the burgundy and 'steel blue' is not that much better or worse than navy and burgundy because of the use of grey which I think muddies up their regular jerseys. At least they don't have the balance right - I'm sure there's still a place for grey, I just prefer there to be a stronger separation between the two relatively darkish colours.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

On 12/24/2019 at 12:48 AM, SFGiants58 said:

What about slate numbers on the road uniform?

On 12/24/2019 at 12:06 PM, TalktoChuck said:

7zuu05I.png

Slate numbers aren't terrible.

That looks good by itself, but then the black pants would look even more out of place. This is why I'm always suggesting they drop black altogether. Either go with burgundy pants and helmets or blue. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Thanks to winning the Cup their first year out of Quebec City, I've accepted the Avalanche looking like a product of their time, superfluous black and all. It's fine, whatever, every team can't transcend time.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2020 NHL Winter Classic: The Logos, Uniforms, and Design

January 1, 2020 - 17:19 PM

The 2020 NHL Winter Classic is today, and for the first time ever the annual event is being held in a warmer climate city. The Cotton Bowl in Dallas, Texas plays host with its 92,000 seats waiting to be filled […]

Read More...

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

That looks good by itself, but then the black pants would look even more out of place. This is why I'm always suggesting they drop black altogether. Either go with burgundy pants and helmets or blue. 

Slate pants and helmets would be perfect. Burgundy, slate, and silver/white is enough.

Archived