NHL changes 2019-20

BJ Sands

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, ColeJ said:

I don't remember the last time my opinions differed from everyone else's on this forum so wildy!

That jersey is probably the worst NHL jersey I've seen. The fishsticks are better. The Mooterus is better.... the Buffaslug is 20x better.

The Sabres Turdburger is arguably better, because it's a stupid gimmick just like this sweater, but at least it WOULD HAVE looked okay if the back matched the front. This one just has NO redeeming qualities for me. It's just really bad from top to bottom.

speaking of bottoms, is the guy in the pic wearing the pants backwards?! I've never seen the NHL logo in that placement....

Looks like the guy modelling is wearing a Montreal Canadiens pant shell backwards.

3 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

No logos on the sweater at all.  Is that a first?

There are some really early hockey sweaters that would like a word :P

Anyway this is gross. I hate it. I don't know if I'd go so far as to fully agree with @ColeJ on this being the worst sweater in NHL history but I'm like...90% on the way there.

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

There are some really early hockey sweaters that would like a word :P

Anyway this is gross. I hate it. I don't know if I'd go so far as to fully agree with @ColeJ on this being the worst sweater in NHL history but I'm like...90% on the way there.

I think part of the issue is that we're not seeing the whole set, just the jersey itself. Certain SS jerseys tend to look pretty bleh without the full set; Philly and Pitt from the last Stadium Series are a good example; with the set, they're good...but on their own, those jerseys just aren't very interesting. This is at least interesting, even if in a "oh my god what the hell is that" kind of way. 😛

And I think it's fine the way it's applied; as an out-there brand idea for one game. Obviously as an actual primary identity, it'd be horrific...but as a one-off weirdo event jersey, I actually kinda dig it.

It's at the very least eye-catching, good or bad. And hey, it's obviously doing something right if we're all talking about it.

58 minutes ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

I think part of the issue is that we're not seeing the whole set, just the jersey itself.

I actually think it looks better when it's just the sweater. The picture of it on a player makes it look gross. The emptiness of the bottom half and the A being so high up is really emphasized when it's worn by an actual person.

I personally think this is really unique and could be great, but it's just a little off.  Below I made some tweaks:

-lowered the "A" off the collar

-made the burgundy portion much lower (the real ones look like Peewee Herman pants)  I wonder if the real one will have burgundy all the way around the back; I'm guessing it'd land in the middle of the back numbers so maybe it's just all blue on the back like the old Sharks jerseys?

-tried to make the white "A" a little less obvious (the burgundy triangle in the middle of the "A" of the real one is a little strange IMO). 

-narrowed the horizontal white stripes and made them match on sleeves, body, and socks

Wk0AZep.png

I also wonder pants/helmets they'll wear.  Notice this seems to be their lighter blue color, so I doubt they'll wear the dark blue equipment they currently wear with the alternates.

2 hours ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

And hey, it's obviously doing something right if we're all talking about it.

I've always found this argument to be nonsensical, as it presupposes that commentary is only generated by things that are good. Especially on a sports branding forum, where every change is analyzed and critiqued for multiple pages. If your boss takes a dump in the middle of the office it's going to get people talking, that doesn't mean he "did something right."

8 hours ago, seasaltvanilla said:

I've always found this argument to be nonsensical, as it presupposes that commentary is only generated by things that are good. Especially on a sports branding forum, where every change is analyzed and critiqued for multiple pages. If your boss takes a dump in the middle of the office it's going to get people talking, that doesn't mean he "did something right."

Oh, I'm under no pretense that it's really very good. I know it's very much not. I meant it more in the sense that at least it's not boring. 😛 

13 hours ago, M4One said:

It's kinda minor league-ish without fully going minor league.

If anything, it's the opposite of minor-league; a minor-league hockey sweater would have a cartoonish logo with the team's full name spelled out around it. No farm team has the brand equity to go crestless. 

It's certainly unorthodox, nothing I'd ever want for full-time use or even regular alternate use, but I like it more than other Stadium Series one-offs. Take, for example, the Blackhawks one that was basically "let's just do the normal Indian Head but make it oddly chrome-plated for some reason."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 hours ago, the admiral said:

If anything, it's the opposite of minor-league; a minor-league hockey sweater would have a cartoonish logo with the team's full name spelled out around it. No farm team has the brand equity to go crestless. 

It's certainly unorthodox, nothing I'd ever want for full-time use or even regular alternate use, but I like it more than other Stadium Series one-offs. Take, for example, the Blackhawks one that was basically "let's just do the normal Indian Head but make it oddly chrome-plated for some reason."

That whole chrome logo thing was NHL-wide for that season's set of Stadium Series games. Thankfully it wasn't just the Blackhawks making that design decision.

http://news.sportslogos.net/2013/11/12/nhl-unveils-chrome-team-logos-for-stadium-series/

spacer.png

It looks way better photshopped than in actual photos. Maybe if it were fully sublimated it wouldn't suck so bad... but those maroon matches/fabric changes to create the mountain shape just LOOK like garbage.

I really want to see the rejected ideas if this was the winner. Thank god Dallas got an actual Winter Classic instead of a Stadium series.

Archived