NHL changes 2019-20

BJ Sands

8 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

White helmets are needed when the teams have similar colors. Penguins-Bruins looks better with white and black helmets than two teams of black helmets and I wouldn't want to watch Panthers v Capitals or Maple Leafs v Lightning if they featured the same color helmets and breezers. 

Nobody has a problem with football teams sharing helmet colors. Why is it different for hockey?

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Aesthetically, white jerseys don’t need white helmets. It’s just a league standard.

Agreed, but this was not a good look. 

16 year old me had his mind blown when I saw the first Avalanche game. 

hqdefault.jpg

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

14 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Nobody has a problem with football teams sharing helmet colors. Why is it different for hockey?

"This looks like an intrasquad scrimmage" is a routine criticism of football games where teams have similar colors, helmets, and pants. Plus, football teams that have the same colors are usually differentiated by helmet stripes and logos, which aren't quite as obvious on hockey helmet decals. 

I mean, Mississippi State unveiled white helmets vs. Texas A&M in 2000 just so there would be some differences in the uniforms...

Mississippi_Bulldogs_msu2_large.jpg

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

If you can have more contrast between opposing players in a fluid sport, you should. White helmets are fine with white sweaters and socks. I don't think the Blackhawks would be improved by a black helmet with their white sweater, the Habs definitely wouldn't be with a blue helmet. We talked about how each sport has its own aesthetic, and I think within that, leagues have their own as well. A dark helmet with a white sweater looks like a junior team that can't shell out for two sets of helmets.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Colored helmets with white sweaters can bring some fun color balance to some college hockey uniforms.

CaseyMittelstadt640.png?fit=640,500&stri

010718sgfhundhockeyJakeRandolphAustinPog

I don't think it should become the norm in the NHL, but it would be cool to see a team or two use colored helmets on the road.

Preds or Pens in yellow, Knights in gold, Stars in green.

49 minutes ago, TalktoChuck said:

If the flames are switching back to their throwbacks like we think they are, then they need to just leave the shoulders blank.

If they stick with the current setup or go a new direction, then this needs to be their shoulder patch.

calgary_flames_2014-2016_a.png

everything about that aside from the color says the Avalanches to me.

2 hours ago, axiom20xx said:

Other than mountains (which, even though us native Coloradans like to think we invented mountains, are very much a huge part of Calgary's culture as well) nothing says Avalanche or Colorado at all.

Everything pretty clearly says Calgary Flames. They could probably come up with a more unique C+F or just C mark for the middle. But regardless, this should be the replacement for those stupid shoulder flags.

jNTsTyQ.png

7 hours ago, TalktoChuck said:

If the flames are switching back to their throwbacks like we think they are, then they need to just leave the shoulders blank.

If they stick with the current setup or go a new direction, then this needs to be their shoulder patch.

That logo (and the BC flag)was the inspiration for the current shoulder patch adopted by the WHL's Kamloops Blazers.

spacer.png

On 12/10/2019 at 9:53 AM, VancouverFan69 said:

Let's agree that we never agree on anything. Lol. And by the way, plastic can be recycled. 

I don’t believe the type of plastic used for hockey helmets is recyclable, and because they’re made of mixed materials, they’re likely not recyclable no matter what the shell is made of. Heck, most recycling centers can’t recycle the majority of the “recyclables” they receive. White helmets are fine, but the only way to reduce helmet waste is to use fewer of them, and honestly, I think that’s more important than some individual aesthetic or competitive preferences in the long run.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On 12/11/2019 at 2:49 PM, TalktoChuck said:

On 12/11/2019 at 3:38 PM, axiom20xx said:

The logo is a stylized depiction of the shield at the centre of the Alberta provincial flag.

cYEZLk6.png?1

Archived