BJ Sands

NHL changes 2019-20

10 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

It still amazes me that it took the Penguins six years to figure out "Oh, the numbers should go down here on the sleeves instead." I'm also surprised that any company would want to take credit for the lousy iron-on numbering from this era.

Unpopular opinion, but I'm a huge fan of hockey uniforms that have the numbers on the shoulders.

Connor-McDavid-5-575x463.jpg

This is the best Oilers uniform, ever.

23 minutes ago, TalktoChuck said:

Unpopular opinion, but I'm a huge fan of hockey uniforms that have the numbers on the shoulders.

To me, it's like white panel baseball hats and contrasting nameplates. I like it, but as the exception not the rule.

On 12/16/2019 at 5:31 PM, DastardlyRidleylash said:

Can we bring back the orange for the NHL logo? It had more personality then the bland silver one we have now, IMO.

I go back and forth on this. I appreciate the idea of having a neutral league logo, but now it just means it's in Kings colors instead of Flyers colors, you can't escape it. At least the orange and black was uniquely NHL. 

What I do insist upon is a simple 2-D logo with the letters going top to bottom. I remember before Lockout II, the NHL would sparingly use a grey/silver version of the old league shield, just a simple two-color job with no beveling or gradients. That would be fine. The other three leagues don't have logos this fussy. One out-there idea might be to use the orange and black shield in the regular season and then switch to Stanley Cup Silver for the postseason. But then you're diluting the league logo and that's probably a bad idea. But hey, so are gradients.

8 hours ago, TalktoChuck said:

Unpopular opinion but I'm generally not a fan of shoulder patch logos. Nothing is my preference (Red Wings) but shoulder numbers look decent..

On 12/17/2019 at 1:41 PM, monkeypower said:

With the semi-recent Avs discussion and me not wanting to study for my last final, I did this on NHL 20 last night. The first two are the with the Avs current blue, or at least what NHL 20 has it as, and the last one is with a darker blue/navy.

fiio9Kz.png

I think the one on the right looks best, to be honest. The lighter blue is kinda their thing, but the dark blue and white gives the look a colder, crisper feel, which always felt very appropriate for the name.

I don’t think I like the blue pants under the road jersey, though.

21 hours ago, the admiral said:

I go back and forth on this. I appreciate the idea of having a neutral league logo, but now it just means it's in Kings colors instead of Flyers colors, you can't escape it. At least the orange and black was uniquely NHL. 

What I do insist upon is a simple 2-D logo with the letters going top to bottom. I remember before Lockout II, the NHL would sparingly use a grey/silver version of the old league shield, just a simple two-color job with no beveling or gradients. That would be fine. The other three leagues don't have logos this fussy. One out-there idea might be to use the orange and black shield in the regular season and then switch to Stanley Cup Silver for the postseason. But then you're diluting the league logo and that's probably a bad idea. But hey, so are gradients.

I definitely agree on ditching the bevels and gradients (and the extra outlines they added in the process), but the upward type orientation is objectively better simply because it creates better positive/negative balance in the letterforms. Running it downward emphasized the negative space above the L and that gap made the text look off-center.

23 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Yeah when I was tooling around with it, I didn't entirely know how I felt about it. It's kind of the same idea as the Canadiens white set, but I don't know.

Maybe the navy set I did would look better under the white jersey because it's a darker shade?

On 12/17/2019 at 1:41 PM, monkeypower said:

With the semi-recent Avs discussion and me not wanting to study for my last final, I did this on NHL 20 last night. The first two are the with the Avs current blue, or at least what NHL 20 has it as, and the last one is with a darker blue/navy.

fiio9Kz.png

The darker blue version is the best for the home.  However, I would keep the grey.  And, honestly, the white jersey looks best with the black pants/gloves/numbers as it currently looks.

On 12/16/2019 at 11:12 AM, Echo said:

For this year's Skills Challenge the Sabres will be wearing replicas of the jerseys worn in the 1978 All-Star Game, which was held in the Buffalo Memorial Auditorium.

W4CNnNF.jpg  YK74LOV.jpg

So they're doing that "hey, let's do our own skills challenge" thing again?

On 12/17/2019 at 4:41 PM, monkeypower said:

fiio9Kz.png

I've been yelling for something close to the one on the right since the original mountain jerseys. They have 1 too many colors. Always have. At home they're a burgundy, blue, gray, black team. On the road they're basically a burgundy, gray, black team. This solves that problem. 

The way you solve the white uniform is you leave the striping the same as the burgundy jersey, but you place a burgundy stripe atop the white stripe so there's consistency jersey to jersey and a buffer between the burgundy and the navy blue. You can work gray in too if that's your flavor. 

On 12/18/2019 at 1:00 AM, the admiral said:

They could do it like MLB and change the logo color depending on the team. 

15 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

I've been yelling for something close to the one on the right since the original mountain jerseys. They have 1 too many colors. Always have. At home they're a burgundy, blue, gray, black team. On the road they're basically a burgundy, gray, black team. This solves that problem. 

The way you solve the white uniform is you leave the striping the same as the burgundy jersey, but you place a burgundy stripe atop the white stripe so there's consistency jersey to jersey and a buffer between the burgundy and the navy blue. You can work gray in too if that's your flavor. 

This is a problem the current set has that the original set didn’t.

The original white set had the burgundy and then had a grey stripe and a blue stripe, so all the colours were worked in.

joesakic_2018-10-26.jpg

The issue with those was that the burgundy’s added black because they went blue/black/white with no grey.

Joe_sakic.jpg

On 11/22/2019 at 7:27 AM, bowld said:

It's time for Arizona to go back to Kachina full time. Love that look

Something tells me that the Coyotes are on track to promoting Kachina to primary full time in the near future.  If you follow their social media page whenever they sign a player, promote a player from Tucson, trade for someone or community events out and about, the players are always walking around in the kachina jerseys.  It kind of reminds me of what the penguins did a few years ago when they started using the cartoon penguin with black and yellow as much as they could and then would shelve the vegas gold as much as they could. 

2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

They could do it like MLB and change the logo color depending on the team. 

Eh, I prefer the NHL having one consistent logo like the NFL over going with the MLB approach. That works for MLB because you can fit multiple colors into the MLB logo. With the NHL logo, you have only two; orange/silver and black.

For some teams, like Toronto or Detroit, that's fine. For teams like, say, Anaheim or Florida, that use more then just two colors on their jerseys, not so much.

2 hours ago, monkeypower said:

This is a problem the current set has that the original set didn’t.

The original white set had the burgundy and then had a grey stripe and a blue stripe, so all the colours were worked in.

joesakic_2018-10-26.jpg

The issue with those was that the burgundy’s added black because they went blue/black/white with no grey.

Joe_sakic.jpg

I think the original still had that problem because you get 10 feet away and the blue washes out. It's a minor trim color on the white jerseys, yet takes up the full sleeve and hem of the burgundy jerseys. And then to make it so the black pants don't completely stick out they used black numbers on the white jerseys. All problems that'd be solved by eliminating the use of black. 

18 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I think the one on the right looks best, to be honest. The lighter blue is kinda their thing, but the dark blue and white gives the look a colder, crisper feel, which always felt very appropriate for the name.

I definitely agree on ditching the bevels and gradients (and the extra outlines they added in the process), but the upward type orientation is objectively better simply because it creates better positive/negative balance in the letterforms. Running it downward emphasized the negative space above the L and that gap made the text look off-center.

I think this is what you are looking for:spacer.png

17 hours ago, Demonkah said:

I think this is what you are looking for:spacer.png

Way way way too busy.

Git rid of the white stripes on the mountains.  Remove the pant stripes and logo.

Respect to the concepts in here but not a single one of those looks better than the current Avs home uniform. The blue, silver, and burgundy is a perfect combination and the black looks fine.

Nathan-MacKinnon.jpg

8 minutes ago, Point1 said:

Respect to the concepts in here but not a single one of those looks better than the current Avs home uniform. The blue, silver, and burgundy is a perfect combination and the black looks fine.

Nathan-MacKinnon.jpg

Now that this sweater’s trim matches the socks they’ve had for forever, this is their best uniform ever. The collar should be solid silver and the road needs some blue trim and then the Avs would have a perfect set. I honestly hate seeing the Avs in white, because it’s so mismatched. Their a burgundy, silver, and black team on the road, and yet they have a big blue stripe on the sock. So close yet so far...

I don't understand the want for navy blue instead of the steel blue. Having two dark colors like burgundy and navy muddies things up a bit too much for my liking. The steel blue is just light enough to pair well with the burgundy.