BJ Sands

NHL changes 2019-20

Seeing how prominent the Predators winter classic logo around the cotton bowl, it is a MAJOR upgrade to the regular logo. I mean they show regular logo in the scoreboard graphic and the WC logo is far superior.

God, these jerseys look slick. I would love the Preds to go to a modified version of these jerseys with the fauxback logo on the chest and replacing the chest stripe with a shoulder yoke.

Those green Stars sweaters and helmets are b.e.a.u.t.i.f.u.l. Love the D☆ crest too.

💚👍💚👍💚

The Stars should have looked to their own history and given us a Northstars inspired faux-back.  Talk about a missed opportunity.

8 minutes ago, Morgo said:

The Stars should have looked to their own history and given us a Northstars inspired faux-back.  Talk about a missed opportunity.

Eh, I disagree heavily. The jerseys they actually came up with are absolutely gorgeous. Besides, it wouldn't have made much sense to use a North Stars-styled jersey in Dallas, in my opinion. Dallas should focus on the history of Dallas hockey, not Minnesota hockey.

I like how both teams used it to pay respect to teams not many fans may know about and focused on the history of where they are. It'd feel kinda disingenuous to do a North Stars throwback both A.) not against the Wild and B.) not even in Minnesota.

3 minutes ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

It wouldn't have made much sense to use a North Stars-styled jersey in Dallas, in my opinion. Dallas should focus on the history of Dallas hockey, not Minnesota hockey

It would make perfect sense.  The Stars are a second-six franchise that carried over the name, identity and record books when they moved to Dallas.  They even carried over the same uniforms they wore in Minnesota with the only change being the shoulder patch.  That history is theirs to use and it's a shame they don't.

Eh, I disagree heavily. The jerseys they actually came up with are absolutely gorgeous.

As someone who has been hoping for a Stars faux-back since the Winter Classic was introduced in 2008, I find them extremely underwhelming.  Countless striping configurations in their history to choose from and they go with the same, tired template used by the Red Wings & Lightning while passing on a beautiful colour scheme that hasn't been seen in decades.  Not pairing the green and white with athletic gold was a huge missed opportunity whether they chose to accent it with black or not.  They could have still honored the Dallas Texans while doing this.

I like how both teams used it to pay respect to teams not many fans may know about.

I feel cheated.  What was great about earlier Winter Classics, from an aesthetic point, was seeing teams breathe new life into old jerseys worn by the actual team.  Like seeing the Penguins powder blues on HD television for the first time or seeing the Bruins create something new by complimenting their yellow jerseys with vintage white and a more palatable brown.  The Stars could have drawn from their history in Minnesota and Dallas to achieve something similar.  This wasn't it.

3 hours ago, Morgo said:

It would make perfect sense.  The Stars are a second-six franchise that carried over the name, identity and record books when they moved to Dallas.  They even carried over the same uniforms they wore in Minnesota with the only change being the shoulder patch.  That history is theirs to use and it's a shame they don't.

I feel cheated.  

If it were the Dallas Stars and not the Minnesota North Stars that joined the league in '67, the sweaters and crest the Stars wore today are very similar to what I envision they would've worn back in the day.

Don't feel cheated. In all due respect to Dallas & Texas fans, it's the many number of long-time Minnesota North Stars fans and North Stars alumni who should still feel cheated.

I think that the uniforms were executed really well and that the matchup was very visually pleasing. Both teams payed a nice tribute to hockey history while still looking like themselves, so that's a win. On the more negative side, I think that leaning so heavily into the "HeeHaw" aesthetic felt a bit patronizing as a person from the southeast. I get why they did it, but it could have easily been toned down quite a bit. 

You'll get your North Stars fauxback fix next year when Minnesota hosts, since the Wild have no history of their own to draw from, and they can't just go out there wearing Gophers sweaters.

52 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

You'll get your North Stars fauxback fix next year when Minnesota hosts, since the Wild have no history of their own to draw from, and they can't just go out there wearing Gophers sweaters.

There’s a lot of Minnesota hockey history to draw from that proceeds the North Stars that the Wild could draw from. I actually hope they go that direction, and not just slap an M or W star on the North Stars jerseys... There’s definitely a great way to make a great looking sweater that reflects all of the rich history we have here. 

1 hour ago, VancouverFan69 said:

If it were the Dallas Stars and not the Minnesota North Stars that joined the league in '67, the sweaters and crest the Stars wore today are very similar to what I envision they would've worn back in the day.  Don't feel cheated. In all due respect to Dallas & Texas fans, it's the many number of long-time Minnesota North Stars fans and North Stars alumni who should still feel cheated.

My point wasn't to argue whether the team should have moved or not, they did.  And they did so carrying over the same name, colours, logo, and identity.  This is a link you can still see today...

64A0lJQ.jpg

In my opinion, embracing this history would have resulted in a better looking uniform than what we saw at the Winter Classic today.  This of course is just my opinion ;).  I only take issue with the notion that they should be somehow forbidden from going this route.  That history belongs to the Dallas Stars and it's theirs to use as they see fit.

I would have liked to have seen the stars jersey look a little more like the old north stars jersey from the 60s.

spacer.png

A lot was already there with the white yolk and striping, but i think a silver or cream/gold trim on the white stripes/numbers and a logo with the D and a star off to the corner but in a more vintage way. 

spacer.png

I love the North Stars history and aesthetic and take pride in it as a Dallas Stars fan...

But I honestly don't think there's anything that could have been better about yesterday's uniforms. Or the event in general. Would have liked less cowboy stuff, but whatever. It was an amazing event with amazing uniforms, and I'm super proud of my team, my fellow fans, and the city of Dallas.

The WC uniform is beautiful. The North Stars are beautiful too, and hopefully one day we wear them in a game again... But for a game at the Cotton Bowl, we picked the right uniform. Hands down.

13 hours ago, Morgo said:

This is a link you can still see today...

64A0lJQ.jpg

Because they use a star because you know they are the “Stars” and use green? Out side of that there really is no connection.

23 hours ago, Morgo said:

When designing a product like this, though, there are other considerations.

Most Dallas Stars fans don’t care about the Minnesota North Stars, what they accomplished, or the place they’re from. Creating something that connected with people from Texas and people who are Stars fans, first and foremost, was much more important. Using a classic North Stars jersey also presents a problem with trying to decide what goes on the front. Do you use the 90s/00s logo (that was worn by both teams) and slap it on a 70s/80s uniform? Do you put a Texans-inspired logo on a 70s/80s uniform? Do you create a D mark that looks like the North Stars’ logo? I think you could pull it off in the right hands, but the renewed focus on authenticity the past two years has been well-received following the faux, anachronistic, and merchandising-driven approach of the past decade.

Another consideration is creating a game that makes sense on both sides. One team wearing a 40s/50s uniform and the other wearing a 70s/80s look makes the presentation very odd, and it makes branding the game as a cohesive, singular event difficult. Since Nashville has no classic NHL history to pull from, going back to the origin of pro hockey in the city made sense. Dallas, while different in that they were relocated from another city, had a very similar “origin of Texas hockey” idea in their cupboard, so it made for great cohesion between the two teams and cities, just as last year’s “first cup” concept set up a nice link between both clubs.

5 hours ago, dont care said:

Because they use a star because you know they are the “Stars” and use green? Out side of that there really is no connection.

Yeah, aside from the two main aspects of the identity being present throughout both team's uniform history, there really is no connection.

XkGGBph.jpg

27 minutes ago, Morgo said:

Yeah, aside from the two main aspects of the identity being present throughout both team's uniform history, there really is no connection.

XkGGBph.jpg

If anything you just further displayed how drastically different the current sweaters are

2 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Most Dallas Stars fans don’t care about the Minnesota North Stars, what they accomplished, or the place they’re from.

Then why do you see Northstars throwbacks worn at Dallas Stars games?  Never seen a Dallas Texans jersey...

Using a classic North Stars jersey also presents a problem with trying to decide what goes on the front. Do you use the 90s/00s logo (that was worn by both teams) and slap it on a 70s/80s uniform? Do you put a Texans-inspired logo on a 70s/80s uniform? Do you create a D mark that looks like the North Stars’ logo? I think you could pull it off in the right hands, but the renewed focus on authenticity the past two years has been well-received following the faux, anachronistic, and merchandising-driven approach of the past decade.

That shouldn't be looked at as a problem, it should be looked at as your job as a designer.  If concept artists not working for Adidas can figure it out, I hardly see it as some insurmountable hurdle.  Nobody's suggesting you just slap something on.

BPD9Znf.jpg

Another consideration is creating a game that makes sense on both sides. One team wearing a 40s/50s uniform and the other wearing a 70s/80s look makes the presentation very odd.

I still can't get over how odd it looked seeing a Bruins faux-back based on a late 40's design face off against a Flyers jersey from the 70's in the 2009 Winter Classic.  Way to put unnecessary and arbitrary handcuffs on what teams can do creatively.

So I loved the Stars’ Winter Classic jerseys, and I’d be happy keeping them the way that they are. However, it’s not impossible to merge it with a small North Stars tribute. I created this before the reveal of the logo, but my point stands, adding a yellow stroke to everything could work, IMO.