NHL changes 2019-20

BJ Sands

18 hours ago, dont care said:

If anything you just further displayed how drastically different the current sweaters are

Different?  Sure.  Drastically?  Not really.

The common threads between the final Northstars uniform and the current Stars jersey are still there.  You have a Green, Black and White colour scheme accented with a metallic that's confined to the logos, a traditional striping configuration and an italicized star for a logo.  I realize I'm not going to get any popularity points on here for criticizing the WC jersey but suggesting the Northstars and Stars aren't the same identity is blatant revisionism.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Dallas Stars tried to forget about Minnesota before they even left Minnesota. Why would they throwback to those years?

Plus the North Stars identity has to be the most overrated identity in hockey. There’s no need for anyone to do a North Stars throwback.

jNTsTyQ.png

I'm not sure that Dallas throwing back to the North Stars was ever a good idea. Remember, the team was very much torn from Minnesota by Norm Green and then moved to Dallas. Going and flaunting that aspect by throwing back to the North Stars days is kinda asking to cause a ruckus among fans; just look at the debates that rose when Carolina introduced the Whalers throwback for a good example of why such throwbacks aren't always a good idea.

And both the Stars and Hurricanes originated from two of the most notorious owners in the league at the time. They knew this going in, which is why they focused on Dallas' history in hockey over the franchise's history.

10 hours ago, TalktoChuck said:

The Dallas Stars tried to forget about Minnesota before they even left Minnesota. Why would they throwback to those years?

You keep telling yourself that...

w7ronsR.jpg

4 hours ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

I'm not sure that Dallas throwing back to the North Stars was ever a good idea. Remember, the team was very much torn from Minnesota by Norm Green and then moved to Dallas. Going and flaunting that aspect by throwing back to the North Stars days is kinda asking to cause a ruckus among fans; just look at the debates that rose when Carolina introduced the Whalers throwback for a good example of why such throwbacks aren't always a good idea.

And both the Stars and Hurricanes originated from two of the most notorious owners in the league at the time. They knew this going in, which is why they focused on Dallas' history in hockey over the franchise's history.

Apples and oranges.  The Hurricanes changed everything about their identity when they moved, the Stars didn't.  Besides, it was nice seeing those Whalers jerseys on the ice again.  They didn't try and pretend the throwback was part of their identity, they just acknowledged that history by bringing it back for a few games.

On 1/2/2020 at 9:35 AM, dont care said:

Because they use a star because you know they are the “Stars” and use green? Out side of that there really is no connection.

The owner literally said there is a connection. Went out of the way to say why they used green and that they kept the "North" star.

Just because you really want something to be true, does not make it so.

18 hours ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

It needs to be pointed out that the Dallas Stars fully embrace their North Stars heritage, and the Dallas Stars fans we have here have confirmed that they do value it even if it happened elsewhere. Minnesota sure didn't give a crap about the North Stars, so I'm happy someone does.

Regardless, the team embraces it. They have North Stars banners and I do distinctly remember the team referencing the North Stars' traditional sweater history when they unveiled their current uniform set. Including a graphic of all the past Stars sweaters, North Stars included.

On 1/3/2020 at 3:59 PM, TalktoChuck said:

The Dallas Stars tried to forget about Minnesota before they even left Minnesota.

That's just not accurate.

On 1/2/2020 at 5:17 PM, Morgo said:

Then why do you see Northstars throwbacks worn at Dallas Stars games?  Never seen a Dallas Texans jersey...

I don't think Dallas Texans jerseys were ever widely available for consumer purchase before this Winter Classic.

13 hours ago, Morgo said:

You keep telling yourself that...

w7ronsR.jpg

Using this doesn't really prove anything as I don't think Dallas had anything to do with this. There's a Flames version of this somewhere boxed up at my parents house or in a storage locker now that has the Atlanta Flames jerseys on it and I have no reason to believe the Flames were hounding whoever created these pictures to make sure Atlanta was included.

On 1/1/2020 at 9:26 PM, Morgo said:

That history belongs to the Dallas Stars and it's theirs to use as they see fit.

And that's really the crux here. This was an outdoor game in Dallas, hosted by Dallas, celebrating Dallas so they should have gone with jerseys from Minnesota? They chose not to use the North Stars here because it wouldn't fit what the theme of this Winter Classic was.

IbjBaeE.png

1 minute ago, monkeypower said:

Using this doesn't really prove anything as I don't think Dallas had anything to do with this.

Again, I remember the Stars using a VERY similar graphic to track their sweater evolution when they unveiled their current look.

2 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

And that's really the crux here. The Stars have decided to not use the North Stars.

They kind of have though? Again, they hang North Stars banners and don't shy away from their pre-Dallas history.

7 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

They kind of have though? Again, they hang North Stars banners and don't shy away from their pre-Dallas history.

I was mid-edit on my post when you quoted it, so I don't want anybody to think either of us misquoted each other. This is what I edited it to and what I was trying to get at.

9 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

And that's really the crux here. This was an outdoor game in Dallas, hosted by Dallas, celebrating Dallas so they should have gone with jerseys from Minnesota? They chose not to use the North Stars here because it wouldn't fit what the theme of this Winter Classic was.

They can use whatever North Stars stuff they want and that's fine. I just don't think this specific game was where they should have done the North Stars. If this was like a Stadium Series game against Colorado in Colorado or they decided to wear bring them back for a few games like the Hurricanes did with the Whalers, that's cool, but a Winter Classic in Dallas isn't the place for the Minnesota North Stars.

IbjBaeE.png

1 hour ago, monkeypower said:

They can use whatever North Stars stuff they want and that's fine. I just don't think this specific game was where they should have done the North Stars

That's fair. I don't think they had to reference the North Stars for this game. The Dallas Texans fauxbacks looked great in their own right. 

I just don't buy the story that the Stars have forsaken their North Stars roots because it simply isn't true. 

5 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I just don't buy the story that the Stars have forsaken their North Stars roots because it simply isn't true. 

I doubt they're forsaken it, but I think they're being very, very wary about leaning into it. That's probably why they opted for the Texans-themed fauxback to begin with, if I had to hazard a guess.

It's sort of the same reason the Coyotes or Avalanche never throw back to their days as the Winnipeg Jets or Québec Nordiques. They recognize the history of their origin clubs, for sure; but they choose not to trot their jerseys around for free nostalgia points, especially since the Stars' move to Dallas was far from amicable. For all intents and purposes, they ignore that part of their history when it comes to on-ice jerseys and designs simply because it's kind of like dancing on a corpse, especially with the Avs since at least Winnipeg has a team again. The stats, the records, the titles; those all aren't ignored, but everything else is.

If Dallas does any other throwbacks, it'll be to the star-cut jerseys they won the Cup in, since that's the first Dallas Stars jersey that wasn't a holdover from their final days in Minnesota. And I think that those memories of the 1999 Cup are much, much more marketable and valuable to the Dallas Stars then throwing back to a team from a time a fair amount of their fans may not have even been alive to see

After all, fans can value the history, but I would have to imagine the Cup-winning jerseys would be a much easier sell locally then throwing back to the North Stars. And sports organizations live to make as much money as they can.

19 minutes ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

After all, fans can value the history, but I would have to imagine the Cup-winning jerseys would be a much easier sell locally then throwing back to the North Stars.

Also since they're one of the best jerseys the league has ever had. I wish that they had just come out and said that the change with the Edge jerseys was to make money from selling brand new jerseys, not some bull :censored: excuse about not being able to make the design fit on the template. You're Reebok. You're owned by Adidas, one of the largest sports apparel manufacturers on the planet. You have the money and resources to make it happen.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

1 hour ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

It's sort of the same reason the Coyotes or Avalanche never throw back to their days as the Winnipeg Jets or Québec Nordiques.

Again, these teams changed their identities when they moved.  The Stars didn't.

9 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Using this doesn't really prove anything as I don't think Dallas had anything to do with this.  There's a Flames version of this somewhere boxed up at my parents house or in a storage locker now that has the Atlanta Flames jerseys on it and I have no reason to believe the Flames were hounding whoever created these pictures to make sure Atlanta was included.

It's not at all surprising those jerseys are included.  Like the Stars, the Flames didn't change their identity when they moved cities which is why the flaming 'A' has been used to represent alternate captains for over two decades.  It's also worth noting that Calgary are soon going to be wearing Atlanta Flames throwbacks full-time, albeit with a different logo.

4 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Albeit with a different logo? They won’t be wearing Atlanta Flames throwbacks, they’ll be wearing Calgary Flames throwbacks.

It's the same jersey.  One has a flaming 'A', the other has a flaming 'C.'  Besides that there's zero discernible difference.

2 minutes ago, Morgo said:

It's the same jersey.  One has a flaming 'A', the other has a flaming 'C.'  Besides that there's zero discernible difference.

But those logos are the difference. You can't say it's an Atlanta Flames throwback if the logo on the front is a massive white flaming C for Calgary Flames.

18 hours ago, Ark said:

Canucks vs. Rangers looked good

tWVBQxd.jpg

mklr9Sr.jpg

rznHtPk.jpg

It's kinda weird that you can buy an Adizero version of the skate jersey or a classic cut version with the Reebok collar, minus the flap, for the same price.  Judging by this picture of the Canucks alumni who were there for the pre-game ceremony, I guess the Adizero is for the fat dudes/goalies, while the classic cut are more the slimmer folks.

spacer.png

22 hours ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

It's sort of the same reason the Coyotes or Avalanche never throw back to their days as the Winnipeg Jets or Québec Nordiques.

Well no.

The Coyotes don't throw back to the Jets because the league transferred the rights to Jets 1.0 throwback logos and unis to the new Jets. Still, the Coyotes did inherit some stuff. They acknowledge the old Jets' retired numbers and even do the whiteout whenever they manage to have a playoff game. Still, the existence of a new Winnipeg Jets team makes this an inaccurate comparison.

The Nordiques/Avalanche are a better comparison and prove my point. The Avs don't hang banners for the Nordiques. They VERY rarely break out the Nords throwbacks. The last time they did it was when they still had former Nords players on the roster, to give you an idea of how infrequently they do it. The Avs themselves talk about 1996 being the "start" of their franchise. 

The Dallas Stars, on the other hand, hang North Stars banners. They talk about the North Stars years as part of their history. And while they haven't broken out North Stars throwbacks recently? They have, repeatedly, referenced North Stars sweaters in relation to their current identity and how they see what they wear now as an "evolution" of the old North Stars and Stars identities.

It's reflected in fans. Granted, this isn't scientific but if I look at the fans of each team here? Most Avs fans don't seem to care about the Nordiques outside of an idle curiosity. Whereas the Dallas Stars fans here seem to actually care about the North Stars as an important part of the team's history.

Look. I know there are people who don't want to admit it for a lot of silly reasons, but the Dallas Stars and their fans have been pretty consistent in maintaining the continuity between the team's time in Dallas and their past in Minnesota. Trying to pretend otherwise is just a case of selectively ignoring facts.

I liked the Stars' WC jersey, especially with the beige pants and brown gloves - added a touch of authenticity that the jerseys wouldn't have carried had they not. I was surprised at how much I actually liked the Preds uniforms though. They looked very sharp. That addition of black striping makes the yellow pop so much nicer than their current look. And while I don't think the wordmark belongs on the front of the jersey, it's a perfect pairing with the throwback logo they designed and my god that would be a huge improvement over their current logo. Just go with that. It would be top 10 for me.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Archived