NHL changes 2019-20

BJ Sands

2 hours ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

The All-Star Game's always been a really weird and experimental point for NHL jerseys, though, so it's honestly just fitting in with tradition;

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

All of these are good though :P

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stanley cup or no, those jerseys have not aged well.  I often think about an alternate history where Brett Hull's goal was called back, the Sabres took game 6 and Dallas won the cup in these*.

b6IuIKn.jpg

*sorry Sabres fans

I still really like the star jersey-Stars jerseys.

The problem I have with those late North Stars/early Stars jerseys is that there's not nearly enough contrast between the green and the black because the green is so dark. Like in the picture Morgo posted above, the green striping at the bottom of the jersey is so dark it looks like b/b/b instead of the g/b/g it's supposed to be. There's also a green border on the black sleeves that's pretty much indistinguishable. It was even worse on the darks from that set. 

867618812.jpg.0.jpg

Their current set does a much better job with the lighter green.

IbjBaeE.png

1 hour ago, Morgo said:

Stanley cup or no, those jerseys have not aged well.

You couldn't be more wrong. They're a very 90s design but they fit the team well and they're an absolute classic.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

2 hours ago, Morgo said:

b6IuIKn.jpg

Those whites have always felt very of the 80's-90's transitional era to me. It's an 80's style jersey (full arm yoke, hem stripes) with 90's design aesthetics (metallics, dark colors). Plus, they're just holdovers from the team's last days in Minnesota.

spacer.png

The star-cut jerseys are not only the ones people associate with the '99 Cup because they're the jerseys the team hoisted the Cup in, they're also entirely the Dallas Stars' jersey, not shared with Minnesota. I mean, it's also because they're just really good-looking on their own, and I think they'd look simply beautiful on modern ice under modern cameras and lighting, retro colors or modern.

They're very much not traditional, no, but this isn't a team that necessarily needs to look traditional. There should be room in the NHL for restrained but unique jerseys like this. This is why people continually rag on Tampa playing Maple Wings dress-up; they had a unique look and simply dropped it to chase a look that was always a terrible idea when we had a blue/white team in the league already that had a massive seniority over Tampa with those colors.

12 hours ago, monkeypower said:

The problem I have with those late North Stars/early Stars jerseys is that there's not nearly enough contrast between the green and the black because the green is so dark. Like in the picture Morgo posted above, the green striping at the bottom of the jersey is so dark it looks like b/b/b instead of the g/b/g it's supposed to be. There's also a green border on the black sleeves that's pretty much indistinguishable. It was even worse on the darks from that set. 

Couldn't agree more about darkening the green (big mistake) but if the choice is between seeing them lift the cup in the more traditionally configured whites and the all-star jerseys, I choose the whites.  I used to be a big fan of the all-star jerseys but today they just look lazy.  They just recolored the all-star template and applied a logo that doesn't even properly align with the striping.  The number treatment is also extremely claustrophobic with them overlapping the template on all sides.

What they have now is worlds better.  If those all-star jerseys were indeed a "classic" there would be zero reason not to use them.

12 hours ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

Those whites have always felt very of the 80's-90's transitional era to me. It's an 80's style jersey (full arm yoke, hem stripes) with 90's design aesthetics (metallics, dark colors).

Kind of like what the team uses today ;).

1 hour ago, monkeypower said:

867618812.jpg.0.jpg

Replace the dark green with the current green and put the current logo on the chest and it'd be a pretty great sweater.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

14 minutes ago, Fresno St. Alum said:

how much longer until Seattle has a name and colors?

Last I checked, by the end of the All Star Break.

Calgary going to throwbacks full time next yr. for sure?

I don't think so, that was a bit of a misunderstanding.

Buffalo going back to royal blue next yr for sure?

This was confirmed by the team's official Twitter account, yeah;

Arizona going back to robo Coyote/ or that style uni next yr for sure? 

This isn't confirmed, but it really wouldn't surprise me if it happens sometime in the future, probably when they first get the chance to rebrand; the fans are hot on the Kachina jerseys, and IIRC, Meruelo loves them as well. The logo and jersey have been getting used a bunch in marketing recently, too; Kessel's first press conference was him getting and wearing a Kachina jersey.

It may not be confirmed-confirmed, but I think it's basically inevitable.

12 minutes ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

Last I checked, by the end of the All Star Break.

I don't think so, that was a bit of a misunderstanding.

This was confirmed by the team's official Twitter account, yeah;

This isn't confirmed, but it really wouldn't surprise me if it happens sometime in the future, probably when they first get the chance to rebrand; the fans are hot on the Kachina jerseys, and IIRC, Meruelo loves them as well. The logo and jersey have been getting used a bunch in marketing recently, too; Kessel's first press conference was him getting and wearing a Kachina jersey.

It may not be confirmed-confirmed, but I think it's basically inevitable.

so Calgary is going to stick w those ugly jerseys and the black C. Throwback home and away are sooooooo much better

What about Ottawa, when will they announce new logo?

14 hours ago, M4One said:

A couple of days old, but the Sharks wore these, 'Open Water' jerseys, for warm up on the 11th, which were then auctioned off for charity.

San Jose has really upped their promotional night giveaways. They've been working with local artists to design their giveaways and they're putting out some really awesome stuff. My personal favorite being this one:

spacer.png

23 hours ago, monkeypower said:

867618812.jpg.0.jpg

Those jerseys actually debuted with the lighter green.

If you look to their use in Minnesota and the FIRST season in Dallas, you'll see those jerseys had thinner stripes and Kelly green. The numbers themselves were even Kelly green on black.

Not until 94-95 did they darken the green and replace the green numbers with white. THAT was the mistake that ruined the sweater.

I never cared for the dark green shade the Stars used and the Wild use currently.

But I also think this current season is the best the Dallas Stars have ever looked. Home, road, and WC. The 99 Cup jersey is a ton of good memories, but in terms of actual aesthetics, it looks like a damn motocross jersey or something to me. Not hockey.

1 hour ago, ColeJ said:

Those jerseys actually debuted with the lighter green.

If you look to their use in Minnesota and the FIRST season in Dallas, you'll see those jerseys had thinner stripes and Kelly green. The numbers themselves were even Kelly green on black.

Not until 94-95 did they darken the green and replace the green numbers with white. THAT was the mistake that ruined the sweater.

If only they'd kept the orginal shade of green when they thickened the stripes.  That jersey would have looked amazing, maybe as good as their current sweaters.

Other than the darker green blending into the black, I always though the most "Dallas-ization" of the last North Stars set was an improvement: The widening of the stripes, the white Texas shoulder patch, the white numbers and the text on the legs all made for more contrast.

The Minnesota version did have the advantage of a brighter shade of green, but without any of those other details, there just wasn't enough contrast -- especially when you take into consideration that they'd dropped the yellow and 99.9% of the white from the previous set.

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

Archived