NHL changes 2019-20

BJ Sands

On 1/13/2020 at 4:15 PM, Morgo said:

Couldn't agree more about darkening the green (big mistake) but if the choice is between seeing them lift the cup in the more traditionally configured whites and the all-star jerseys, I choose the whites.  I used to be a big fan of the all-star jerseys but today they just look lazy.  They just recolored the all-star template and applied a logo that doesn't even properly align with the striping.  The number treatment is also extremely claustrophobic with them overlapping the template on all sides.

What they have now is worlds better.  If those all-star jerseys were indeed a "classic" there would be zero reason not to use them.

Kind of like what the team uses today ;).

All they have now is just a recolored nyr jersey. The away is a little better just because the striping and yoke is a bit more original, but outside of that the home jersey is as generic/boring/uninspiring as its gets. So you cant rag on the 90's look for being unoriginal when this is what they have now. 

spacer.pngspacer.png

At least the late 90's look was distinct from everyone else in the league and the color scheme was much nicer. The current set has a better logo, if they had just combined the two when they did the rebrand they could have top 5 look

spacer.png

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the dark green. They look meaner, more edgy. I like it. The victory green is just too GREEN for the sake of being a GREEN team.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

3 hours ago, DuckFly2gether said:

All they have now is just a recolored nyr jersey. The away is a little better just because the striping and yoke is a bit more original, but outside of that the home jersey is as generic/boring/uninspiring as its gets. So you cant rag on the 90's look for being unoriginal when this is what they have now.

They could have been a bit more original with the striping, I'll give you that.  But there are only so many ways you can create a traditionally configured uniform.  I'm okay with teams sharing striping configurations as long as their colour palettes are different enough from each-other.  Nobody is going to confuse the Stars for the Rangers.

At least the late 90's look was distinct from everyone else in the league and the color scheme was much nicer. The current set has a better logo, if they had just combined the two when they did the rebrand they could have top 5 look

Their forest green is just a holdover from when every team was trying to darken their colour palettes.

29 minutes ago, dannykraft said:

I'm probably one of the only people in the world with this opinion but this is my favorite stars look. If they would have swapped the green and white on the home uniforms and kept the logo on the front I would've loved the set.

I was wondering if I'd ever see someone, on here, genuinely state that this was their best look :P.  That road jersey is definitely charming in its simplicity.  That all died when they replaced the logo with the collegiate script though.

Count me as another person who thinks the Stars look better than they ever have. That colour of green is just spectacular.

I used to love those star jerseys but the lack of contrast and the warping between the logo and uniform star throw me off. As do the double outlines on the numbers and the unreadable name and numbers on the white sweaters.

17 minutes ago, Morgo said:

They could have been a bit more original with the striping, I'll give you that.  But there are only so many ways you can create a traditionally configured uniform.  I'm okay with teams sharing striping configurations as long as their colour palettes are different enough from each-other.  Nobody is going to confuse the Stars for the Rangers.

Their forest green is just a holdover from when every team was trying to darken their colour palettes.

I was wondering if I'd ever see someone, on here, genuinely state that this was their best look :P.  That road jersey is definitely charming in its simplicity.  That all died when they replaced the logo with the collegiate script though.

They could have done anything else, but they settled for something that is already in use, just like the lightning in 2011 ripping of detroit. The problem isnt even that they went with something traditional, the problem is that they went with someone else's tradition. Had they used a striping pattern similar to that of their look from the mid 90's, even though it isnt creative, at least there's historical significance.

spacer.png

What they have now has absolutely nothing to do with their franchise, no historic context, just a bad rip off. Not sure what your argument is with the green, so what if they had it for a long time and it was darker? It worked really well for them, had its roots dating back all the way to old days of the team (cup win/back2back finals), and its a distinct color scheme, gold, green and black. Much better than the st. patty's day blackhawks look they have now.

2 hours ago, Bayne said:

I like the dark green. They look meaner, more edgy. I like it. The victory green is just too GREEN for the sake of being a GREEN team.

Exactly, its too bright, not intimidating, the north stars pulled it off, but that was a different era when bright/gaudy color schemes were popular like the kings in purple/gold, st louis is bright blue/gold, capitals in bright red/white/blue the golden seals. In the modern era, the darker shades work better and look less outdated. 

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

The lighter green and the current uniforms are the best the franchise has ever looked, in both Dallas and Minnesota.

I disagree, the north stars late 80's/early 90's look was way cooler, even the shade of green was nicer, really complemented the yellow gold really well, and the stars along the side of the pants was nice too. Simple, traditional but distinct striping, solid logo, good colors, not overly bright but not too dark like the mid 90's stars.

spacer.png

44 minutes ago, DuckFly2gether said:

They could have done anything else, but they settled for something that is already in use, just like the lightning in 2011 ripping of detroit. The problem isnt even that they went with something traditional, the problem is that they went with someone else's tradition. Had they used a striping pattern similar to that of their look from the mid 90's, even though it isnt creative, at least there's historical significance.

What they have now has absolutely nothing to do with their franchise, no historic context, just a bad rip off.

I agree with this but considering they almost went with a Red, White & Blue, Texas flag motif?  It's close enough.

XkGGBph.jpg

6 minutes ago, DuckFly2gether said:

Where did I say that?

You didn't, somebody else said it was one of the most overrated identities in all of sports several pages back.  That's what I was referring to.

3 minutes ago, Morgo said:

I agree with this but considering they almost went with a Red, White & Blue, Texas flag motif?  It's close enough.

XkGGBph.jpg

You didn't, somebody else said it was one of the most overrated identities in all of sports several pages back.  That's what I was referring to.

Well damn them to hell! 

2 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

It's not 2001 anymore. We can move on from every team needing "dark and intimidating" colour schemes and logos. 

Again, being a reductionist to prove a point. Not every team needs to do the same thing. That's what some of us are advocating for - yes bright can look great, but if done correctly and if it suits their identity, a dark colour scheme can work very well too. I personally like Dallas as a dark green and black. The bright green is just too much and completely eradicates that mean, ruthless aesthetic they had back in the 90's. The victory green is just too safe with the ultra-conservative Rangers and Hawks templates. I don't even like the colour green they went with - it's not that nice to look at compared to other greens.

Oh and put me down as someone who doesn't get why people are so in love with the North Stars identity. It's fine. The logo is utterly average (OK for it's time I guess) and the colour scheme is a bit jarring. 

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

5 hours ago, Fresno St. Alum said:

Gun Slingers

I read Sun Gingers at first, lol.

12 hours ago, DuckFly2gether said:

spacer.png

IMO this were the best concept from all showed by Stars.

I also think that if they could add a little bit of gold (by replace silver for example) to current scheme it wouldn't be that bad.

4r2eer.png

11 hours ago, DuckFly2gether said:

I disagree, the north stars late 80's/early 90's look was way cooler, even the shade of green was nicer, really complemented the yellow gold really well, and the stars along the side of the pants was nice too. Simple, traditional but distinct striping, solid logo, good colors, not overly bright but not too dark like the mid 90's stars.

spacer.png

Those uniforms were absolutely atrocious.  They’re way too busy and black drags down the Kelly/yellow combination.

The current Stars are the best this franchise has ever looked. Dark green is not menacing, it’s lame. The current green shade is amazing.

Archived