Jump to content

NHL changes 2019-20


BJ Sands
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Ice_Cap said:

You keep using the word "strawman" (or "straw man" in this case). Please don't use it unless you're going to use it correctly. Me disagreeing with your opinion, and pointing out flaws in your argument, isn't knocking down strawmen. 

There is no flaw, I didnt say anything about their color being a rip off, nor that they HAD to wear dark unis. You're simply acting like your found some flaw in my argument and proved me wrong when nothing was there to being with. Please, dont waste my time with your banality. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, DuckFly2gether said:

There is no flaw, I didnt say anything about their color being a rip off, nor that they HAD to wear dark unis.

If you're not talking about colour? Then there is no ripoff. The Stars didn't rip off the Rangers because they have distinctive colours, a distinct logo, and a unique number font. That they have a traditional A-B-A striping pattern doesn't make them a Rangers ripoff.

 

Take the Lightning. Had they unveiled their uniforms but with black in place of blue? Far less people would be critical. The Lightning's flaw wasn't ripping off Detroit's striping pattern (which is rather straightforward) but ripping off Toronto's colour scheme. The same striping pattern with a unique scheme wouldn't bother anyone (see the original LA Kings). 

 

As for the dark colours thing? You're advocating that the Stars should wear dark green. I'm disagreeing and saying I prefer their current green, and saying I don't like the trend of darkening traditional colours. 

And your response is to go "I didn't say they had to have dark green" while saying you prefer them in dark green. Come on man. 

 

15 minutes ago, DuckFly2gether said:

You're simply acting like your found some flaw in my argument and proved me wrong when nothing was there to being with. Please, dont waste my time with your banality. 

The only flaw I found with your argument was your assertion that the Stars ripped off the Rangers. Which isn't true. 

 

Beyond that? I'll I've done is disagree with your opinion, and put forward reasons why I have my disagreements. Maybe get used to that from people if you're going to post on a public message board. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

If you're not talking about colour? Then there is no ripoff. The Stars didn't rip off the Rangers because they have distinctive colours, a distinct logo, and a unique number font. That they have a traditional A-B-A striping pattern doesn't make them a Rangers ripoff.

 

Take the Lightning. Had they unveiled their uniforms but with black in place of blue? Far less people would be critical. The Lightning's flaw wasn't ripping off Detroit's striping pattern (which is rather straightforward) but ripping off Toronto's colour scheme. The same striping pattern with a unique scheme wouldn't bother anyone (see the original LA Kings). 

 

As for the dark colours thing? You're advocating that the Stars should wear dark green. I'm disagreeing and saying I prefer their current green, and saying I don't like the trend of darkening traditional colours. 

And your response is to go "I didn't say they had to have dark green" while saying you prefer them in dark green. Come on man. 

 

The only flaw I found with your argument was your assertion that the Stars ripped off the Rangers. Which isn't true. 

 

Beyond that? I'll I've done is disagree with your opinion, and put forward reasons why I have my disagreements. Maybe get used to that from people if you're going to post on a public message board. 

Uh yes they did. Color also being ripped off is not required for it to be O6 dress up. The jersey stripes are exactly the same. And no, the lightning ripped off detroit, but the fact that they also doubled down on it by ripping off TO's color just made it all the worse. They could have made their jersey band aid color for all i care, a rip off is a rip off and O6 dress is still O6 dress up.

 

And no, you haven't found a flaw, you go on and on like a child about the color when that was never my argument, it was CLEARLY about the striping, which once again is EXACTLy the same. Nor did I ever say they HAD to wear dark colors, simply that their old color scheme was better than the one they have now. If they had a better looking jersey that was more colorful and had better striping I would have no problem with that, because believe it not, i dont want the league to look like its 2001.

 

 Like I said, dont waste my time with your assumptions, straw man arguments or anything else anymore. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Well yeah, obviously the Stars have distinctive colours, a distinct logo, and a unique number font, but to be fair to where Ducks fly is coming from, these are ostensibly the same template. The Rangers red stripes are slightly thicker than the Stars black stripes though.

 

2968_new_york_rangers-dark-2018.png

2871_dallas_stars-dark-2018.png

Exactly. My argument was NEVER that the jerseys, including the artwork, colors, fonts ect. were the same. No one ever said tampa used the same colors or logo as detroit. All i critiqued was the generic stripes that the stars are using, that are already in use by another team and have been for decades. I like the stars logos, i also really like the font, all i said was i found the color scheme to be a downgrade, and the stripes to be O6 dress, which this image clearly proves.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, DuckFly2gether said:

Uh yes they did. Color also being ripped off is not required for it to be O6 dress up.

Yes it is. The Stars don't look like any O6 team. 

 

13 minutes ago, DuckFly2gether said:

And no, you haven't found a flaw, you go on and on like a child

You've accused me of strawman'ing you while proceeding to strawman my opinions. You've called me childish for holding my opinions. 

Are you capable of holding a conversation with someone who has a different opinion without resorting to attacks?

 

16 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Well yeah... obviously the Stars have distinctive colours, a distinct logo, and a unique number font, but these are the same template. 

 

2968_new_york_rangers-dark-2018.png

2871_dallas_stars-dark-2018.png

🤷‍♂️No one's going to confuse the New York Rangers with the Dallas Stars. Just like no one confused the 1967-80 LA Kings with the Detroit Red Wings. 

 

Calling the lower uniform a rip-off of the above seems absurd to me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well yeah obviously nobody’s going to confuse the Rangers and the Stars, just like nobody confused the Kings and Wings, but it’s the same jersey.

 

I can’t agree with DucksFly’s O6 dress-up argument, and maybe rip-off is the wrong word choice, but the Stars jersey is essentially a recoloured Rangers jersey.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Yes it is. The Stars don't look like any O6 team. 

 

You've accused me of strawman'ing you while proceeding to strawman my opinions. You've called me childish for holding my opinions. 

Are you capable of holding a conversation with someone who has a different opinion without resorting to attacks?

 

🤷‍♂️No one's going to confuse the New York Rangers with the Dallas Stars. Just like no one confused the 1967-80 LA Kings with the Detroit Red Wings. 

 

Calling the lower uniform a rip-off of the above seems absurd to me. 

No it's not, you rip of a jersey striping pattern stripe for stripe you ripped it off, you dont need the same colors or logos, obviously people arent going to use the same logo, its the striping that is unoriginal, much like all of your "arguments". Nor did i ever say anyone would look at a stars jersey and say its a rangers jersey, i simply said the striping design is a rip off of the nyr jersey which it is, not that the stars design team hatched some grand conspiracy to steal the rangers look and hope no one would notice, but that they lazily just took a generic striping pattern that has already been in use since 1997 by another team and just recolored it.

 

And no im not straw man'ing, you're the one trying to making my O6 rip off statement about color, you know it has nothing to do with that, and assuming i want the league to like like it did 20 years ago with no basis to that. And like the child you are you keep going on about it because you know you cant argue the obvious.

 

The only thing absurd here is that someone actually cant even see how obvious is it that one team is clearly and lazily using the same exact design style of an O6 team, stripe for stripe, and still acting like it's not unmistakably resembling the latter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Well yeah obviously nobody’s going to confuse the Rangers and the Stars, just like nobody confused the Kings and Wings, but it’s the same jersey.

 

I can’t agree with DucksFly’s O6 dress-up argument, and maybe rip-off is the wrong word choice, but the Stars jersey is essentially a recoloured Rangers jersey.

Perhaps it is the wrong word, i dont know, but it's like you and others have pointed out, its just a recolored jersey. Good logos, but unoriginal striping, not creative at all from a design standpoint, very generic and safe, and it should be critiqued without someone blowing a gasket over something so obvious to the point where they start making arguments that someone will mistake one jersey for the other when that was never even my point in the first place.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, DuckFly2gether said:

And no im not straw man'ing, you're the one trying to making my O6 rip off statement about color

Yes, because the same striping doesn't make it a ripoff. "O6 dressup" implies a non-O6 team is dressing up like an O6 team. The Stars are not dressing up like the Rangers. You can go on about the striping all day, but it doesn't matter. The Stars and Rangers look nothing alike, and are in no danger of being confused for each other.

 

6 minutes ago, DuckFly2gether said:

And no im not straw man'ing

You did, right here.

 

2 hours ago, DuckFly2gether said:

Oh ya i forgot, you're the guy who thinks anyone who feels a team looks better in darker palette wants the whole league to look like it did at the turn of the century.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

Yes, because the same striping doesn't make it a ripoff. "O6 dressup" implies a non-O6 team is dressing up like an O6 team. The Stars are not dressing up like the Rangers. You can go on about the striping all day, but it doesn't matter. The Stars and Rangers look nothing alike, and are in no danger of being confused for each other.

 

You did, right here.

 

 

 

"It's not 2001 anymore. We can move on from every team needing "dark and intimidating" colour schemes and logos. "

 

And where did i say every team needs dark and intimidating colors. The only person straw man'ing is you. You assumed because i liked dallas' older colors i think what? Everyone needs to go back to darker shades? That's not me straw man'ing, that's me pointed out another one of your low iq assumptions and pathetic arguments. Nice try trying to lie and deflect again, keep it coming.

 

And the stars are dressing like an O6 team, IT DOES MATTER! That's litterally what O6 dress up is, they are literally wearing the same jersey striping as an O6 team, the nry, others have already pointed it out, so you can keep going on and on about the logo and colors being different all day son. That's not what O6 dress up even is. In case you havent figured it out, no one can wear the same logo as another team, so if youre basically saying the only way someone can do O6 dress up is if they literally wear the same jersey, then you're even more mentally ill than i thought you were

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Well yeah... obviously the Stars have distinctive colours, a distinct logo, and a unique number font, but these are the same template. 

 

2968_new_york_rangers-dark-2018.png

2871_dallas_stars-dark-2018.png

 

And yet I don't see this as O6 Dress up. Especially when you compare the white jerseys:

6575_new_york_rangers-light-2018.png 5214_dallas_stars-light-2018.png

 

Now this: 

 

 Coyotes08.png MapleLeafs19.png

 

This feels a lot more like something you could call O6 dress up. Granted Phoenix/Arizona has since changed uniforms. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, bkknight95 said:

 

And yet I don't see this as O6 Dress up. Especially when you compare the white jerseys:

6575_new_york_rangers-light-2018.png 5214_dallas_stars-light-2018.png

 

Now this: 

 

 Coyotes08.png MapleLeafs19.png

 

This feels a lot more like something you could call O6 dress up. Granted Phoenix/Arizona has since changed uniforms. 

I was never talking about the whites, just the green homes. In one of my older comments i mentioned how i liked the whites better because of the yoke and stripes being different. Arizona's home jersey is definitely O6 dress up, the away is a bit more passable because of the cuffs, no tie down collar and yoke.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Well, where to start? The thin black outlines throughout the lettering, the white yoke with two outlines, and multiple outlines combined with drop shadow. It feels unnecessarily busy. Add into that the black breezers with stars on the side and you have one of my least-favorite NHL uniforms.

 

A simplified number font would certainly improve the uniform.  But I don't see the issue with the double-outlined yoke or the stars on the pants.
 

Quote

I’m sure it just uses the current Victory Green. Note that much darker and contrasts more with yellow-gold.

 

Looks more like forest green to me.  In any event, it doesn't need to be darkened.


 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, DuckFly2gether said:

 

And where did i say every team needs dark and intimidating colors

You put forward an argument that a team should wear darker versions of their colours. I said I wouldn't prefer it, because that was a trend in the early 2000s I didn't enjoy. You're the one freaking out about an opinion in contrast to your own.

 

1 hour ago, DuckFly2gether said:

That's not me straw man'ing, that's me pointed out another one of your low iq assumptions and pathetic arguments. Nice try trying to lie and deflect again, keep it coming.

You've been deflecting all night because I disagreed with you. You've called me childish, and my arguments "low iq." Are we going to have a mod discussion about insulting language?

 

1 hour ago, DuckFly2gether said:

And the stars are dressing like an O6 team, IT DOES MATTER!

They aren't dressing like an O6 team. They don't like like any O6 team. An A-B-A striping pattern doesn't mean anything in conjunction with the unique colours, logos, and numbers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ice_Cap said:

You put forward an argument that a team should wear darker versions of their colours. I said I wouldn't prefer it, because that was a trend in the early 2000s I didn't enjoy. You're the one freaking out about an opinion in contrast to your own.

 

You've been deflecting all night because I disagreed with you. You've called me childish, and my arguments "low iq." Are we going to have a mod discussion about insulting language?

 

They aren't dressing like an O6 team. They don't like like any O6 team. An A-B-A striping pattern doesn't mean anything in conjunction with the unique colours, logos, and numbers.

No, you implied that i was trying to say all teams need to wear "dark and intimidating colors like its 2001". I never said nor implied that, i simply said i think they look better in their older darker look, dont put words in my mouth.

 

And no i have not deflected, because most of what you've talked/argued about wasn't even what i was arguing in the first place. My criticism was their striping pattern as it pertain to the rangers/O6 debate, and you went on and on about how the jersey isnt the same color or doesn't have the same font or logos, even though i never brought that up. Once again, more deflecting. 

 

And yes they are, you cant wear the same striping pattern, stripe for stripe, as another team who is O6, like the coyotes did in 2003 or the lightning in 2011, regardless of colors and logos, and then say you're not dressing like an O6 team. Get some sense son.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Can we retire “O6 Dress Up” to the rafters and then wrecking ball the arena? God I hate that term. It’s maybe the worst CCSLCism. 

I would rather the actual trend stop first. I just want teams to be more creative with their look instead of relying on generic, run of the mill uniform patterns and then people complain about anyone who dare critique lazy/boring design. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.