NHL changes 2019-20

BJ Sands

8 minutes ago, DuckFly2gether said:

I would rather the actual trend stop first. I just want teams to be more creative with their look instead of relying on generic, run of the mill uniform patterns and then people complain about anyone who dare critique lazy/boring design

Because those people usually have no actual knowledge of design principles and no basis for that accusation. It's like me criticizing NASA because they took the same route to the moon again. How lazy and boring of them.

jNTsTyQ.png

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, TalktoChuck said:

Because those people usually have no actual knowledge of design principles and no basis for that accusation. It's like me criticizing NASA because they took the same route to the moon again. How lazy and boring of them.

Right, because a hockey jersey and space travel are comparable. The stars jersey is just so unique and creatively designed right? 

Just now, DuckFly2gether said:

Right, because a hockey jersey and space travel are comparable. The stars jersey is just so unique and creatively designed right? 

Seeing how they utilize a base color that literally no one else uses, I'd say they are very unique. 

jNTsTyQ.png

5 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Yuck. Dark green and black are way too close in shade to work together. The whole thing looks muddied. The old gold helped, but it's still an inferior look compared to what they wear now, or had as the North Stars.  

Break a few conventions and maybe you'll end up with something a bit more interesting and distinct. Dark green and black theoretically don't work together, but it's not like it's awful. It can be done and it's unmistakably a classic Dallas Stars jersey if it is. But nah, instead we have a perfectly safe, paint by numbers, borrowed template jersey that is just 'fine'. To me, Black, dark green, gold and white is classic. Algae green, black white and silver is just a weak modernised interpretation of a Stars jersey that is made to look like it fits in with the league's  contemporary aesthetic and checks the "Do we have a bright green team in the league?" box. That's what I mean by Green for Greens sake.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

The bottom line is that the Stars, for the very first time, since moving to Dallas have a beautiful, traditional and distinctive uniform set that they can call their own. They are the first NHL team to wear a vibrant green sweater and socks with black helmets and pants. Just like the Sharks back in '91 but with teal and black. Whenever one turns on a hockey game on TV and the Stars are in action, there's no mistaking them. And if they do decide to wear a black alternate, Victory green would look so much better as a secondary than dark green.

2 minutes ago, Bayne said:

Break a few conventions and maybe you'll end up with something a bit more interesting and distinct. Dark green and black theoretically don't work together, but it's not like it's awful. It can be done and it's unmistakably a classic Dallas Stars jersey if it is. But nah, instead we have a perfectly safe, paint by numbers, borrowed template jersey that is just 'fine'. To me, Black, dark green, gold and white is classic. Algae green, black white and silver is just a weak modernised interpretation of a Stars jersey that is made to look like it fits in with the league's  contemporary aesthetic and checks the "Do we have a bright green team in the league?" box. That's what I mean by Green for Greens sake.

Good to see someone else gets it. Just because you use a color no one else in the league uses (thankfully), doesnt make a generic click n' fill recolored rangers template any less boring/lazy. Its like all they did going into this rebrand was think "we must have a bright color that no one else uses as our base, to hell with the rest of the jersey at least it's colorful".

2 minutes ago, VancouverFan69 said:

The bottom line is that the Stars, for the very first time, since moving to Dallas have a beautiful, traditional and distinctive uniform set that they can call their own. They are the first NHL team to wear a vibrant green sweater and socks with black helmets and pants. Just like the Sharks back in '91 but with teal and black. Whenever one turns on a hockey game on TV and the Stars are in action, there's no mistaking them. And if they do decide to wear a black alternate, Victory green would look so much better as a secondary than dark green.

No they dont, they have a generic, boring recolored rangers design that is not distinct in terms of striping, but only color. Having a distinct color doesn't make a jersey or a brand beautiful. They could have been the first nhl team to wear pink or indigo, doesn't change the fact that all they have is an overrated run of the mill, safe and boring home uniform, and somewhat passable road at best. 

2 minutes ago, DuckFly2gether said:

No they dont, they have a generic, boring recolored rangers design that is not distinct in terms of striping, but only color. Having a distinct color doesn't make a jersey or a brand beautiful. They could have been the first nhl team to wear pink or indigo, doesn't change the fact that all they have is an overrated run of the mill, safe and boring home uniform, and somewhat passable road at best. 

Sorry to inform you but the first thing about a uniform a fan looks at when that particular team is in action is the colour scheme. 

Just now, VancouverFan69 said:

Sorry to inform you but the first thing about a uniform a fan looks at when that particular team is in action is the colour scheme. 

And...your point? It's still a lazy design, regardless of color. The jersey could be rainbow colored, doesn't make it good. If the seattle hockey team came out with a purple and orange recolored avalanche mountain jersey, it's still just a lazy rip off of another teams jersey, regardless of how distinct the colors are.

Also, they already had a distinct color scheme AND distinct jersey design way before this in the 90's/early 00's with dark green, gold, black and white star jerseys. Now all they have going for them is "well, at least no one else is wearing grass green".

36 minutes ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Lol ok. Entirely subjective and who's to say it "wasn't their own" before anyway? You're like a bad sports journalist spouting out meaningless cliches.

Okay so they're unmistakable. Wow, ok. Is that the goal here? Sounds pretty simple. Maybe Seattle should just wear salmon pink and there will be no mistaking them either. Done.

I thought there was more nuance to jersey design? I'm pretty sure we aren't all on here pushing for every team to adopt a unique colour so that one day we will eventually have an all the colours of the rainbow NHL. That mentality, to me, (while exagerrated) is childish. 

20 minutes ago, DuckFly2gether said:

Also, they already had a distinct color scheme AND distinct jersey design way before this in the 90's/early 00's with dark green, gold, black and white star jerseys. Now all they have going for them is "well, at least no one else is wearing grass green".

That star-designed jersey was tacky. A sorry excuse for a big league hockey sweater.

1 minute ago, VancouverFan69 said:

That star-designed jersey was tacky. A sorry excuse for a big league hockey sweater.

Their current jersey could easily be described as tacky as well. That's not even my opinion, that's just common sense.

7 minutes ago, VancouverFan69 said:

The star jersey was very nice, far from perfect, but had a ton of potential, much like the avs mountain stripes, it was instantly recognizable and fit well with the teams identity, it just needed to be cleaned up a bit like how colorado has done.

And dont act like this generic recolored garish rangers jersey they now have is the pinnacle of hockey aesthetics. Give me a break. It looks like some average walmart knock off jersey for children, or something a six year old would doodle when they're bored. As generic as it gets, but hey, its bright green so...

3 hours ago, Bayne said:

That's what I mean by Green for Greens sake.

Green for Green's sake, that's a new one :lol:

There have been two green teams in the league for the last 20 years and now one of them has chosen to go back to its roots by adopting a lighter shade.  There's nothing paint by numbers about their jerseys.  Hell, if you made the upper white-stripes on the hem and sleeves athletic gold, you'd pretty much have the same template the Northstars used in 1991

43 minutes ago, Morgo said:

Green for Green's sake, that's a new one :lol:

There have been two green teams in the league for the last 20 years and now one of them has chosen to go back to its roots by adopting a lighter shade.  There's nothing paint by numbers about their jerseys.  Hell, if you made the upper white-stripes on the hem and sleeves athletic gold, you'd pretty much have the same template the Northstars used in 1991

No, you would just have a recolored rangers jersey. Just the same color pattern as the northstars. Everything about the jersey is generic, uninspiring, and unimaginative in terms of its design. Once again, there could have never been a green team in the history of hockey, it still wouldn't make the unis any less monotonous and boring. Wearing a color no one else uses on a jersey with a template already used by another team, doesn't change anything about the jersey being mediocre. 

4 hours ago, TalktoChuck said:

Seeing how they utilize a base color that literally no one else uses, I'd say they are very unique. 

Just because you use a color no one else uses doesn't make the jersey any less generic. Color it brown, make it glow in the dark or make it brighter than the sun, it's still generic O6 dressup no matter what color you use. And once again, color is not even the issue here. Try to stick to the topic at hand spaceboy. 

I don't think they're bad jerseys, I just think they're a bit bland. They use an existing template for both home and away and splash this gratuitous green over their homes and suddenly everyone is supposed to worship them like they're untouchable classics.

I prefer jerseys that don't look like they were created in a lab. Sometimes it's the unorthodox approach that ties in with history which makes a jersey that is unique and special. I think the Stars had something with dark green, black and gold, but these new ones just leave me feeling a bit cold.

Archived